Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by raybass
I have switched to the Big Buddy, run it till bedtime and light it when you wake.

+1

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I've used big chunks of coal before in a regular wood/camp stove and it works great. Put one in right at bedtime.

coal works for me as well
tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I am the designated wood stove stoker for our group, been honing my skills for 12 years. We can fit about 5 4x4x20 (inch) lumber in our stove. Crank the air vent down to a crack, turn the vent louver to 45 degrees and you are good for about 5 to 6 hours. We only use the 4x4's for night, during the day we just burn split beetle kill pine. The 4x4's stack nicely and fill up the stove.

You could also throw in some coal.

338rcm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whambasted
NUWAY has a gas hook up for their small woodstove.

http://www.nuwaystove.com/model2000.php

www.wyominglostandfound.com

These look interesting. Anybody use them? would the 26000 btu model be enough to heat a 14x16 tent?

338rcm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ordered a Nu Way 4000 today. Its a vented model so condinsation shouldnt be a problem. 26000 BTUs should heat our tent fine

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Ordered a Nu Way 4000 today. Its a vented model so condinsation shouldnt be a problem. 26000 BTUs should heat our tent fine

be sure and keep us updated if you can. I interested as well.

338rcm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tx Trapper

Will do Tx Trapper, planning on a scounting trip before the season to try it out

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You'll definitely want to heat it up good to burn all the stank off of it "outside" the tent the first time!

Huntinut

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
338rcm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntinut
You'll definitely want to heat it up good to burn all the stank off of it "outside" the tent the first time!

Huntinut

Thanks Huntinut, Well give it a good burning before using it in the tent. Have you used one?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No I just use wood stove and a big buddy. I did look at yours and am interested in your results!!

Huntinut

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I just use an 'el cheapo woodstove and put a few inches of sand in the bottom and either put real green wood on top of a good bed of coals or I use coal itself for the night....

[Linked Image]

Jayco

338rcm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tx Trapper

Will do Tx Trapper, planning on a scounting trip before the season to try it out

Fired the stove up in the garage to "burn" the new off of it. Its was warm in the garage, but it seems like this this really cranks out the heat!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing we noticed is that wood seemed to help dry out the wet clothes better than anything else. Anyone else notice this?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
One thing we noticed is that wood seemed to help dry out the wet clothes better than anything else. Anyone else notice this?

Dober

There is no doubt about it.

Wood heats by radiation and convection , while the by products , smoke/moisture goes up the stack. Moving the water-vapor in the air further apart, dryer air.

Un-vented propane heaters makes water vapor as it burns a by-product of burning hryodro-carbons, adding dampness to the air.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
338rcm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K_Salonek
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

There is no doubt about it.

Wood heats by radiation and convection , while the by products , smoke/moisture goes up the stack. Moving the water-vapor in the air further apart, dryer air.

Un-vented propane heaters makes water vapor as it burns a by-product of burning hryodro-carbons, adding dampness to the air.

The nice thing about these Nu way heaters is, They are vented

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That should also take care of the smell things take on when there around an un-vented propane heater.

Going to hunt first season 'B' cow-tag in GMU #18 . It is coming back real nice in thick elk-fud after an extreme beetle-kill.
Most of the effected trees are still standing, it would not take long to fill a train with firewood. A first season wood stove will not take much work to fill.

iwrc: Did a 4-day up there a little over a week ago. Every traditional camp spot, everywhere you went, there was left over firewood by every fire-ring or circle of rocks.

If I have good weather to set up camp, I will leave plenty of firewood I'm sure.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I don't pack this stuff all over hell and creation. It's stickly for truck camping. I throw cat litter in to line the bottom of the stove. It's easier than scrounging for gravel or dirt.

If it is going to be cold, I load up on presto logs before leaving. They will keep my drafty old homemade barrel stove going for hours. I never worry about whether the thing runs all night, but I stack a couple of them next to the stove. If I wake up to roll over, I may throw one in or not depending on how ambitious I feel. I do not have to get more than an arm and shoulder out of the bag to pitch one in.

I've been wall tenting with a wood stove for about 25 years. When I was bow hunting late in Dec, I would pull the 55 gallon barrel stove out of my shop. That boy would puff up the wall tent like a hot air balloon. I remember one ugly, cold day when I was sitting in the lawn chair in my boxers when I heard, "Can I come in and warm up?" The guy was a bit taken aback, and moved on quickly.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I guess I must be all wet from all that hunmidity. Been running my unvented propane heater in my stock trailer for about 5 years. Since I also cook in there ( propane), and burn propane lanterns.I have not noticed any smell.If there is any,it is mostly due to the propane lanterns.Of course,I get a breeze thru there every once in awhile.

In any case,it has not affected my elk killing.

I do like to heat with a wood stove and later seasons. If I am using a wall tent, I take some wood along. At my age,cutting fire wood is a camp chore I don't relish.I also don't want to worry about leaving a fire in a a stove when I leave in the AM to go hunting.I also have a wood stove that I can put a round propane burner in and use a stove pipe vent if I want to

I don't pack in any more as my health and hunting pards have faltered. I leave next Wednesday for a ML season by myself. Setting up camp, setting up the mule high line and taking care of them and other camp chores, I need to cut down on the amount of labor. A propane heater does that for me. Might not be the best option, but it works for me.

A lot of folks think that thier way is the only way, and if you are not doing it that way, you are wrong. Everyone has to figure out what will work best for them and certainly as we age, we give up certain things in order to be able to keep hunting. Some may not believe this, but they will eventually.

I don't haul animals in the front stall and when I use the trailer for a camp,I clean out the rear stall very well and wipe it down to get rid of all dust,etc.

One end of the trailer, stove, lantern, heater. ( I'd set the tent up about the same.)

[Linked Image]

The opposite end with bed and large coolers. Above the door is a vent hole thatI can run a stove pipe thru if I want to use a wood stove.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/02/11.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get a big buddy or 2,love mine.
BBJ

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We use a wood stove in the cooking tent and kerosene heaters in the sleeping tents. I set mine to the minimum and leave the tent entrance flapping unless very windy. Zero CO problems and you can get out of bed, dress and walk out of tent comfortable in -20F temperatures. I do set up a CO detector just in case.
I agree that a good sleeping bag can alone take care of it. For me however the first night when my face gets cold is uncomfortable; after that one I get used to it and sleep well. Unfortunately I often only have 2 nights in the camp and have to go to work, so that's 50% uncomfortable. So I let the Kerosun heater take care of it.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (35, 14idaho, 405winash, 257robertsimp, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 858 guests, and 869 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,407
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.