Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5575983 08/31/11
EWR Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have been checking out the .17 hmr lately and have a couple of questions.
I have a couple of .22 lr rifles so I'm o.k. in that department.
I was just wondering if anyone sees a performance advantage for someone who already owns a .22 lr getting a 17 hmr to go with it?
Whats the effective range of a 17. hmr on medium sized varmints? and what .17 hmr rifle does everyone recommend?
Any and all replies welcomed.
Thanks alot.
Eric

"My German Shepherd is my best friend,but he could be your worst enemy"
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by EWR
I have been checking out the .17 hmr lately and have a couple of questions.
I have a couple of .22 lr rifles so I'm o.k. in that department.
I was just wondering if anyone sees a performance advantage for someone who already owns a .22 lr getting a 17 hmr to go with it?
Whats the effective range of a 17. hmr on medium sized varmints? and what .17 hmr rifle does everyone recommend?
Thanks alot.
Eric

Are you going to be shooting a lot over 100 yards?

Will you be hunting and taking shots over 100 yards?

That is really the question.

If neither of those are a "Yes"- then you are better off staying with a good, accurate 22LR over any rimfire magnum.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The 17 HMR is very effective on little varmints out to and including 150 yds... not a sure bet after that...

If you shoot gophers, sage rats or the like your first impression of the 17 HMR is that God himself invented it just to kill stufff like that... grin

Medium sized varmints, say rabbits, or PDs...same-o same-o.... bigger stuff like chucks arent always a quick kill....

I would think, though I have never tried it, that it would make a really good fur freindly gun for called fox....

BTW: The one to get is the Ruger....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
BTW,

The 17HMR will also kill thing larger than gophers quite well.

Here is a Western Kansas Jack shot at 180 steps with a 17g v max load. The hole is the exit wound.

I shot three rabbits in about 90 seconds along that fence row at 35 ,100 at 180 yards. The furthest one died just as quick as the closest one. One shot for each of them.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jim62; 08/31/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a DA Revolver chambered in 17 HMR and much prefer it for shooting varmint/small game over the .22 LR.

But I also prefer the 22 WMR (22 Mag) over the 17 HMR. I think the 22 WMR is the best of the small-bore handgun cartridges.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
PWeed.

I think the OP was talking strictly about rifle here, but I certainly second your opinion of the 22 mag in handguns.

To all gunmaker critics-
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Owning a .17 HMR along with a .22 Long Rifle is much like owning a .243 along with a .30-30. More expensive to shoot, but much longer range.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
EWR: I highly recommend the 17 HMR for your extended range rimfire Varminting needs.
I have personally killed Coyotes, Fox, Badger, Jack Rabbits, Rock Chucks, Raccoons, Skunks and Porcupines with my 17 HMR's - along with the smaller Varmints like Cottontails, Priaire Dogs, winged Varmints, Ground Squirrels and feral cats.
I have also taken Wild Turkey and some Grouse with the 17 HMR.
IT simply is THE best rimfire Varmint and small game cartridge available today.
I seldom get my 22 Magnums out anymore - the 17 HMR simply surpasses their performance with gusto.
I have taken Varmints out to 240 yards with the 17 HMR.
I personally would recommend the Ruger 77 V/T with it rotary magazine and universal accuracy - this arm is not cheap but it is an excellent investment of your monies.
I have a number of friends with this model and again accuracy is excellent and the norm with this model.
The flush fitting, rugged and reliable rotary magazine that holds nine shots IS a blessing!
With medium and larger Varmints the Hunter MUST be aware that bullet placement with each shot, is very important - but with the 17 HMR and its speed (flat trajectory and wind bucking ability) and inherent accuracy, bullet placement is easier to achieve than with any other rimfire.
The 17 HMR is not just a step up from the 22 L.R. it is a leap up!
Yes the 17 HMR has a significantly "seeable" performance advantage compared to the 22 L.R.
Best of luck if you decide to try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Just like many who can't make up thier minds I got a Sako quad.

But the 17HMR barrel is usually on it - kills some big nasty stuff close away or far provided you shoot it in the right spot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For performance on small fur or feathered vermin the HMR is head and shoulders above the 22 rf in range and the HMR's I've been around tended to be spooky accurate. Feature a 22 rf on steroids and you have the 17 HMR.

And I was a naysayer when the HMR first hit the market, that is until I got one.

As far as what to get, I've used Savage, Ruger, CZ and Marlin extensively. All shot very well with the Marlin probably being the most accurate, but the trigger leaves a bit to be desired along with fit and finish. All that said, I have a CZ 452 Varmint that cost me $300 new about 8 or 9 years ago. Nice fit and finish and trigger made nice for $15. The same rifle now is closer to $450. Should have bought 2 or 3. smile

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love my 22's but the 17 HMR is the best round ever for hunting squirrel , gray or fox. I has it all over the 22 lr for small game hunting.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 17 HMR is my favorite rimfire, but I've gotten away from using it for squirrels. I take head shots and about half the time it would blow the head off, leaving a bloody stump. Made for a pretty messy game bag, not to mention that it was kind of ugly.

I now use a sub-sonic 22rf before the leaves are off and the shots are shorter, and a 17HM2 afterwards. Works pretty well.

The 17HMR on P-Dogs is downright nasty and a helluva lot of fun.

Steve

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
The 17 HMR is very effective on little varmints out to and including 150 yds... not a sure bet after that...

If you shoot gophers, sage rats or the like your first impression of the 17 HMR is that God himself invented it just to kill stufff like that... grin

Ditto. 150yrds is a lil conservative though IMO.....depending on the wind.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
True dat..on a couple seldom seen no wind days, we were scratching them down with regularity at 200yds..( gophs, that is...)

Only problem was that if you missed, the little bullet didnt kick up enough dust to mark your shot...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
EWR: I highly recommend the 17 HMR for your extended range rimfire Varminting needs.
I have personally killed Coyotes, Fox, Badger, Jack Rabbits, Rock Chucks, Raccoons, Skunks and Porcupines with my 17 HMR's - along with the smaller Varmints like Cottontails, Priaire Dogs, winged Varmints, Ground Squirrels and feral cats.
I have also taken Wild Turkey and some Grouse with the 17 HMR.
IT simply is THE best rimfire Varmint and small game cartridge available today.
I seldom get my 22 Magnums out anymore - the 17 HMR simply surpasses their performance with gusto.
I have taken Varmints out to 240 yards with the 17 HMR.

A ringing endorsement of the HMR...and I agree with it. Nice to see.

Alot of guys like to poo-poo the caliber, but I wonder how many actually own one. I absolutely love mine. It's just SO freekin accurate and kills stuff just fine. I like the 20 grain gamepoints but in fact have never even tried the 17 grainers.

Great rimfire imo.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
yea Dust really inst a thought for me. my killing fields are mostly rimrocks. Most the time you can see your hits. Or atleast see the lil bastids do the hit the dirt an look around dance an then you know your gettin close grin

I was very pleased though the day I found out that on 9x the bottom dueplex was the holding point for stuff around 200yrds. Have stretched it out to where the target was sittin at the bottom of the scope before though, ussually run outta kentucky windage adjustments in the scope before I can get that far out though grin

One o these days I'll get with the program an do the turret thing. maybe...

this is one o the flatter, grassier spots that I shoot. Have killed alotta rats off the rock and lil grassy opening by the big pine on the far left. Always shoot from this spot as its the only spot you can shoot prone from. I love taking 22lr gooroos up to this spot an showing them what their .22 cant do consistantly lol

[Linked Image]

as a side note, one of my biggest reasons for liking the HMR. Is I can dump a box of shells in my pocket and walk in there and enjoy the day. Have yet to be able to do that with .223

Last edited by mud_bogger; 09/03/11.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
wind bucking ability)

ummm are you serious?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
wind bucking ability)

ummm are you serious?

Compared to any other rimfire round- yes.

Actually sit down at a range and shoot off a bench on PAPER in a steady crosswind a directly compare the various rimfire rounds.

The 17HMR with the 17g V max slugs spank all the rest pretty damn hard in terms of wind drift. Even the very best 22 mag loads.

Last edited by jim62; 09/03/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by EWR

Thanks alot.
Eric

Expensive ammunition (we pay approx $22/50) in Australia. Split cases (in some instances over 50% splitting), accuracy that has declined since first brought out and projectiles stuck in barrels from blooper loads, and unfortunately a few destroyed rifles.

Here's how one poster (a staunch 17HMR advocate and gunshop employee) put it on an Australian forum:
"The poor quality HMR ammo is a [bleep] disgrace and needs to be addressed."

Personally ... give me a 22Hornet anytime.
Cheers...
Con

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I bought my Cooper, the 17 HMR was a "givin"

It's the best looking and most expensive rifle I've ever had.

Also have a Ruger 77-17 that's a "loaner" for my shooting buddy.

Both are dedicated Sage Rat guns..

Virgil B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 257Bob, 22250rem, 44 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,916
Posts18,518,746
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.