Hop To
#5593333 09/06/11
W
wildwyo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Every broadhead discussion that I've seen on here said something to the effect of "try Slick Tricks you will thank me later" I'm pretty impressed. 60 yards slightly quartering away went through stomach, liver, and lung. Complete pass through, 1 very dead buck inside of 100 yards. I'll never mess with anything else. Thanks to everyone that is recomending slick tricks.[Linked Image]

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nice Buck congrats.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Your welcome.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I tried slick tricks, after reading about them here 4 years ago, and will always use them!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're welcome and congrats,great deer!!!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

W
wildwyo Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks guys, without Campfire advice I would have never found them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've posted a couple photo's of bears here from this year. Both taken with Slick Tricks and both recovered without stress or worry.

Bears are arguably the most difficult animal to track up with the massive fat and long hair, not to mention their ability to travel with a serious injury and the places they can get into to hide and die. Oh yeah it should also be mentioned that there is a little added stress to the tracker with the knowledge of what it is they are tracking too!

I've never lost a bear or a pig or any animal with a slick trick. I've had a single arrow not have a pass trough with a slick trick out of 100 plus taken with them. I'm confident there are other broadheads that are as good, but I'm doubtful and very skeptical that there are any better.

Just for the record, I shot both bears with the same arrow, and the same slick trick broadhead. All I did was touch up the blades for the second bear. Got my monies worth from that combination! I will use that same arrow and broadhead again on the next animal as well!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
JJHACK

You had complete pass thru on both those bears? The arrow went in and came all the way thru the off side? What was the angle of the shot? I don't have a photo but I shot a 355lb bear a few years ago in Maine with Slick Tricks and I had a complete penatration but not pass thru. about 6" from the broadhead up was sticking thru.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes both arrows exited and were on the ground about 10 feet away One was stuck in the earth, the other was laying against a tree fletching up.

I have done this with all the pigs I have shot but one, which about 75% of the arrow was through the entry and sticking out the opposite side. Another was similar with an exit, but I never found the whole arrow. It may have broken inside with only 1/2 being found? or it broke when it hit the ground upon exit, and the front half just kept going? I do not gut the pigs, I just take the hinds and the straps. Come to think of this, I have had the "half arrow" recovery on another occasion as well with a pig.

In Africa I have had arrows slice through the off side but not completely exit several times, and that has happened with elk as well. However there was a time when I was younger and foolish. I strayed from the Slick Tricks to test other options. So it is difficult to recall which were pass throughs and which were not in the Early years in Africa on all the game shot.

The angle of entry on the Oregon bear was shooting up into the bear from the ground while the bear was in a tree. That bear was more or less standing straight up on hind legs in the tree. My son found the arrow the next day while I was checking the game cameras. The other was shooting down at the bear from above. I used the same arrow and slick trick on both bears. Both shots were under 20 yards, the Oregon bear at 16 yards, the Wa. bear at 18 yards. I shoot an Almost maxed out 60lb Switchback. On a scale it will go to 64lbs locked down.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow! What a shot and congrats on a fine buck! Well done and my limited experience with Slick Tricks makes me not looking any further as well.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
JJHACK

I get complete pass thru's on pigs, deer, elk (1 with SlickTricks), but bears I have not gotten a complete pass thru on yet. I am not complaining one bit, as they have always penetrated both sides, so always an entry and exit hole. I shoot 73lbs with EAston FMJ's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My opinion, male wild hogs over 200 lbs are the most difficult to get a pass through. They are Americas only pachyderm. The thick gristle plate over the chest is quite difficult to penetrate even with a rifle.

I think the bears you shot were just an anomaly in archery. The next dozen you shoot will probably all be pass throughs! Bears are very soft. Far softer the Mtn goats elk male pigs or sheep. But the fat and hair is a bugger for blood trails!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Have killed many hogs in AL and FL but nothing over 220lb, all with complete pass thru's.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 264mag, 204guy, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 28 invisible), 14,592 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,955
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.