Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
My friend Wiley, graduate of VMI, was a Marine captain (maybe higher later) in Viet Nam. When I first knew him, long afterward, he was a deputy sheriff in southern California.

Long before I became a third-class gun writer, I was a second-class photo mate (PH2) during the Korean war.

if that's Wiley Clapp, i'm sure our outfit woulda had a field day with the name "Captain Clap"...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and we had Sergeant James Major...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have read that JO'C was an EM in the USN, but I don't recall that he discussed that chapter of his life in "Horse & Buggy West" or any other book that he wrote and I have read.

JEff

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I enlisted in the Navy, and later was commissioned. The best of both worlds as it were...jim wink

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
David Petzal and G. Sitton were DI's in the Army during the 60's. Warren Page taught aerial gunner for the Navy during WWll.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by docbill
David Petzal and G. Sitton were DI's in the Army during the 60's. Warren Page taught aerial gunner for the Navy during WWll.

My pal Dean Grennell was also a gunnery-instructor.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by husqvarna
Roy Dunlap, gunsmith and writer, was enlisted in the Army during WWII. He was a sargent in Ordnance and his book "Ordnance Went Up Front" Is a good read about his experiences in the Pacific.

And a little in North Africa if I remember correctly.

Slim
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
As I recall, about half of Dunlap's book was about his experiences in North Africa and about half about the Pacific. He also has some cogent comments about officers vs enlisted men and military bureaucracy - for example citing the fact that IIRC the British ordnance repair center in North Africa that he was associated with was run by a sergeant, whereas the US equivalent was run by a colonel, who had a couple Lt Col under him, and so on down the line.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Finn Aagaard was, I believe, just a corporal and Dean Grinnell maxed out at seargent.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Enlisted personnel aren't the type to broadcast and brag about their military status...they just do their job.

William Clunie
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How about Bill Jordan. I believe he was an enlisted marine in WW2 in the later Pacific war.

Mark in GA

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by william clunie
Enlisted personnel aren't the type to broadcast and brag about their military status...they just do their job.

Generality?

Among the many times I've been proud of my son was several years ago when he was visiting me and we went shooting at my club. Another shooter talked at length about how he was an NCO in the Army NG, how many men he supervised, etc. At no time did my son mention that he was a Captain and company commander.

You can find all types.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Paul,
As an enlisted man myself, I've known many officers. We never stop ribbing them about their affliction. I should have added a smiley face smile

William Clunie
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
From time to time I remind my son that even though I was a lowly E-3 (no promotions in the late 1950s USAF), and he was a Major, being his dad I'll always outrank him. smile

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
as an enlisted man i give you this for an answer

Is Sex Work or Pleasure?

The Commanding Officer of a regiment in the U.S. Marine Corps was about to start the morning briefing to his staff. While waiting for the coffee machine to finish its brewing, he decided to pose a question to all assembled.

He explained that his wife had been a bit frisky the night before and he failed to get his usual amount of sound sleep. He posed the question of just how much of sex was work and how much of it was pleasure?

The X.O. chimed in with 75-25% in favor of work.

A captain said it was 50-50.

The colonel's aide, a lieutenant, responded with 25-75% in favor of pleasure, depending on his state of inebriation at the time.

There being no consensus, the colonel turned to the PFC who was in charge of making the coffee. What was his opinion?

Without hesitation, the young private responded, "Sir, it absolutely has to be 100% pleasure."

The colonel was surprised and, as you might guess, asked why.

"Well, sir," the enlisted man said, "if there was any work involved, you officers would have me doing it for you."

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Great!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Excellent! Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

William Clunie
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,703
Posts18,494,295
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.