Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Alloys wheels ain't how long term satisfactions are garnered. GREAT Safe Queens though.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Forty years of satisfaction so far and not much of it in a safe. It's been drowned a time or two, once when capsized shortly after ice out. A little care and cleaning and it came through it fine.

Last edited by doubletap; 09/06/11.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Akin to 25yr old boots...long way of saying the wares set idle.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Not exactly idle but I didn't break it in by throwing down a shale slide.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Use does things to wares,that unuse cain't. Seen it(often).

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
OK, you win. grin

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boxer

Do you figger there's any 'uses' left in mine? Or should I put it away for about 39 years? Thanks!

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Looks like it ruined that rabbit's whole day.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Do you figger there's any 'uses' left in mine? Or should I put it away for about 39 years? Thanks!

[Linked Image]

Try knocking the new off it. Pistoles keep amazingly well,in the dark on the shelf.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck

A couple or more good sidearms sound more and more like necessary tools!! (.357 AND .44 or .45C wink )

It'd be .357 AND .44 AND .45C....

Regards,

Tom
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try knocking the new off it. Pistoles keep amazingly well,in the dark on the shelf.

Do I knock the 'new' off it like breaking in a cow barreled rifle? Can the shelf be padded? Or does it have to be plain ol' wood? I'm kinda new to this whole pistolie thing. Really appreciate all the help.....Thanks!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I can only get you to water,but admit a preference to your not partaking. Keep up your harrowing hard use chronicles,it really is something!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
After owning and hunting several .22 handguns, I've settled on two. One is a 12.5 oz. S&W .22 LR model 317, and the other is a Ruger Stainless Convertible. Both work very well, but do have their drawbacks.
I've never found a .22 auto, and that includes a couple of Colt Woodsman's, and a Ruger auto whose safety I trusted. While very accurate, they aren't very light. So I prefer a revolver. I like the Ruger Convertible because I've found the .22 magnum rimfire to be significantly better a small game round. But I will give the Smith K-22's their due as they have excellent triggers, hold steady and are very accurate.
The Smith 317 is a very nice gun. So light, it feels like you aren't wearing a gun. Plenty accurate and easy enough to hit whatever I need to hit between 10-15 yds. But, beyond that, I need more weight to hold it steady enough to hit the small stuff.
I'd still like to try the 651's, but I'm a little dismayed by their sharp report. It's bad enough in a 5.5 inch barrel.
As with many choices in guns, it's a matter of matching your needs with your abilities and your reguirements. E

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Eremicus
After owning and hunting several .22 handguns, I've settled on two. One is a 12.5 oz. S&W .22 LR model 317, and the other is a Ruger Stainless Convertible. Both work very well, but do have their drawbacks.
I've never found a .22 auto, and that includes a couple of Colt Woodsman's, and a Ruger auto whose safety I trusted. While very accurate, they aren't very light. So I prefer a revolver. I like the Ruger Convertible because I've found the .22 magnum rimfire to be significantly better a small game round .....

'understand' about weight considerations, and no-knocking the versatility to shoot LR's or WRM's in a wheelgun .....

My first so-called ltwt Ruger auto was a 22/45 (frame) I combined with the RST MkII 4-inch upper. That was before finding Tactical Solutions ( their alloy uppers still retain and use the steel bolt/springs and all inner parts).

One POS .22 I briefly owned was a Phoenix Arms HP-22. Literally made of pop-metal! Fired some Stingers in it once. First one magazine of Stingers, and then only part of a second when it started coming apart!! Though amazing very accurate, junked the damn thing at the next gun show, using the proceeds to buy a used Mk I Ruger. smirk

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Barkoff
...and here I thought I got some decent feedback. 24hr is going downhill fast.

only when you let it get to ya. lol I keep most of the trolls on ignore, so unless someone copies their silliness, I don't see it.
I have a model 34 S&W kit gun and a Model 63. I loaned the blue 34 to my Brother, and he has had it for a few years now. Says it works fine. smile
The 63 is my constant hiking and camping companion. Including the holster, it weighs 27 ounces.
Squirrel accurate Mike, at 25 yards. Goes for birds too. smile
[Linked Image]

Sam......

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by Barkoff
...and here I thought I got some decent feedback. 24hr is going downhill fast.

only when you let it get to ya. lol I keep most of the trolls on ignore, so unless someone copies their silliness, I don't see it.
I have a model 34 S&W kit gun and a Model 63. I loaned the blue 34 to my Brother, and he has had it for a few years now. Says it works fine. smile
The 63 is my constant hiking and camping companion. Including the holster, it weighs 27 ounces.
Squirrel accurate Mike, at 25 yards. Goes for birds too. smile
[Linked Image]

Beautiful 63! Might be my next purchase.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Another Kit gun with some friends.

DF

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Here is a picture of my Kit Gun.

ddj

[Linked Image]

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Barkoff,

Lot of good responses above, as noted above.

Had the 12.5 ounce S&W 317, though they are accurate off a bench I found it very hard to shoot offhand, the hammer drop on that light of a pistol is a factor.

The S&W 34 and the 63 are the same size frame (S&W's smallest at this time) blued & stainless respectively. For a 4 inch you have to buy used. Presently S&W only sells a 3 inch version, It catalogues at 26 ounces. They recently discontinued a 5 inch version of the 63, occaissionally one pops up for sale. Like weight, barrel length is a factor in ability to shoot accurately...the longer the better.

The S&W 17, 18 (4 inch only) and 617 are the next larger frame size. They were/are avail. in 4, 6 or 8 3/8 inch barrels. They are easier to shoot accurately, but are quite a bit heavier than the 34 or 63. I've not had nor shot the 617, but for some unknown reason S&W decided to put a full underlug on the barrel and many find them too heavy to tote about the field. The 17 & 18 are used only options while the 617 is S&W's current offering...the present and limited exception to this is either Davidson's or Lipsey's had a special run of the 18's done for them, not sure if they are still avail. Personally I'm not too keen on these as a kit gun...as my S&W 17 weighs 40 ounces.

Also, Ruger recently re-introduced their SP 101 in 22 LR; 4.2 inch barrel and weighs 30 ounces. They are now just becoming available. Not as light as the S&W Kit Gun (34 or 63), and Ruger's triggers generally don't compare with Smith's, but they excel in durability.

For Single action Kit guns Ruger has the Bearcat; 4 inch barrel, weighs around 25 ounces and is avail (or was?) in stainless. And they can be had for much less than a S&W 34 or 63. I've had a few of the single six's, but not one of the Bearcat's.

I've had a couple of Ruger's MK II pistols and presently have 3 of their MK III 22/45's. The MK III's initially didn't impress me, the triggers are sad to say the least. A Voquartsen replacement sear and a replacement hammer bushing (sam lam's..go to the MK III forum of rimfire central for more info) is a major improvement to these pistols. I've got 2 of the Tactical Solution's Barrel/Receivers that stubble duck is waxing about. My 8 1/2" 22/45 with a Tactical Solutions barrel only weighs 26 ounces.

The other pistol I have extensive experience with is the discontinued Colt Woodsman. They came in 4 1/2 and 6 inch barrels, are accurate, have excellent triggers, are a lot trimmer than the Ruger pistols and weigh 32 ounces. The Ruger pistols can not compare to them in any way, Downside, folks are asking around $700 for them.

The Colt Woodsman and the Bottom Ruger (minus the Red Dot) are my choice for field carry;
[Linked Image]

If I were picking up a 'Kit Gun'...It would be between the S&W 34 or 63 (3 or 4 inch barrel), a Ruger SP 101 or a Ruger Bearcat, or if flush with cash a 2nd Model Colt Woodsman with a 4 1/2 inch barrel.

Jerry

"Actually if I ever get to talk F-t-F with Tac-Sel (when visiting Boise) I'd like to ask them if they would build a 10inch (or 8in) upper for the Ruger! A 10inch .22RF barrel shooting 'long rifles' still gives 93-94 percent of the performance one would get from a 16in tube shooting the .22LR." Stubbleduck

Stubbleduck...Tactical Solutions used to make their barrels in 8 1/2" and 10 inch lengths. There are only (maybe) a few left in the pipeline, so if you can you should pick one up immed., Try searching Paul Zint who has a good price on the 8 1/2 inchers or emailing (don't think they listed them on their website) Rimfire Sports who has (had?) both.

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RSC&Category_Code=TS

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 09/17/11.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you for all of the replies, I think I'll go with the 63 as soon as I get this one sold. I just got the paperwork back from the DOJ, so sometime within the next couple months I'll get it sold.

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 163bc, 160user, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 2,135 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,554
Posts18,531,525
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.