Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5589453 09/05/11
H
Hubert Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
This is a rifle I bought several years ago for parts. but I just Put it in the safe and never done anything to it. Well I did some work on the stock to make it solid enough to shoot. I just came from the range and the first 3 shots were 3/4 in group but to the right of the bullseye. so I adjusted the front sight which I discovered was bent. I got it adjusted ok but due to the weather i stopped shooting.. should I restore this klunker or just keep as is ? all the numbers match on gun,stock , buttplate forearm. as you can see the stock appears to be the fruitwood one, and there is a dent on the side of the receiver.my thought is to restore.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Up to you your gun, what cal? if you want a nice winter project restore it!, if you want a shooter/beater for rough weather just CHOOT it!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not saying, don't do it... but accept the fact that a decent restoration, hell any restoration, in money down the drain. I have projects that I intend to do despite the fact that I know I will be money out. Its a learning opportunity and give you something to be proud of... those things are worth a cost.

I'd also be interested to know how in the world, that giant dent got in the reciever... you would actually be quiet surprised how thick that receiver is. I have guns that are tapped on the side for the T-7 mount and I would say the screw threads are a good 1/4" long and DO NOT penetrate into the rotor area. A dent like that does not come from a casual drop. A full force hammer blow onto a small area punch would likely not even do that. I'm guessing some sort of hydraulic squeeze???

Last edited by lovemy99; 09/05/11.

Andrew
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When I said winter project I ment doing the work yourself, clean up the stock ect. some cold blue. Maybe while the guy was out hunting the reciver was struck by another hunters bullet, saveing the hunters life! crazy

Last edited by saddlering; 09/05/11.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
H
Hubert Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Its a savage 303 caliber. I bought it from a texas cowboy so don't have a clue about the dent. it had a stove bolt with a square nut for the lever. I did put the correct parts on that.
I prolly will play with it. the safety needs replaced I have one just haven't changed it yet.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd personally just refinish the stock myself (no sanding), and leave it at that. Save the $$ for the next rifle down the line.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a 99-H, correct? Not many high demand parts on it. I'd fix it up a little and shoot or sell it.

I like the bullet dent story or from a charging deer? grin Maybe it is a good thing they can't talk. wink

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
amazing how many carbine gun stocks are busted,,I putitdown to the horses wanting to scratch,rub ,trees, fence posts,don't matter just somethingstrong enougt to help rub an itch,if your rifle stock or leg is in the way ,,TOUGH CHIT,I neeed too sssccccrrrraaattttccchhhh, frown

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hubert I bet that ole rifle has seen many a Texas round up and taken it's share of deer and wild hogs .I would probably just leave it as is for the history . Tom

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gun tells more story [ imaginations CAN RUN WILD the way it is cool whistle

i have repaired a number of stocks,not nessarily trying to hide all the damage,but be represintative of the life it lead,got an early one with a notch cut out of comb ,,Calhoun has one with 10 or more notches cut out on reciever pads,just imagin

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Reminds me of those old ads for Mexican Mausers, $24.95, complete with Pancho Villa's teeth marks!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'd spruce up the wood and leave it like it is. The dent gives it character. I just spruced up an SKS a guy brought back from Vietnam. It has about 5 hits from what appears to be .223 rounds. Make up a good story to go with it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I bought a M98 Mauser once that was laced with grenade or mortar fragments. It shot fine, but did give me the willies when I thought of the guy holding it when it got hit.

If refinishing the dented 99 receiver, could one fill the dent with TIG weld and grind/file it flush?

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Wonder how a case hardened receiver, butt plate, AND lever would look on a 99? Anyone ever seen one?
Might be cool for sure different!

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Hey Norm I have a 99 posted on here under "Savage #18 combination sight?" with over 60 cut notches in the stock. IF THAT rifle could talk!?! Also have an old Winchester 94 made in 04 with 14 or 15 notches cut in the forearm. Neat old stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by paleoman
Hey Norm I have a 99 posted on here under "Savage #18 combination sight?" with over 60 cut notches in the stock. IF THAT rifle could talk!?! Also have an old Winchester 94 made in 04 with 14 or 15 notches cut in the forearm. Neat old stuff.

couple of guys on the fire have case hardened butt plates ,levers and recievers,,
60 notches must be rabbits or something easy, grinI would say that they are probably deer though,who knows ,make up whatever story you want

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What's the alloy used for receivers, and are they heat treated to any extent? (I'm guessing not, as easy as they are to file, but with some spot hardening at the bolt lockup?) Case hardening an 1899/99 receiver may well do more harm than good, depending on the alloy, but it would look pretty. Short of knowing for a fact what it's made of, it would be wise to consult a metallurgist before having it color case hardened.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Hey Norm if you know these guys that have case colored receivers see if they'll post some pics'!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Heres one of mine,not bad for bubba. Don

http://www.pbase.com/loggah/image/77420534/original.jpg

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another one...

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,928
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.