Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Like I mentioned recently, I finished my Cabelas .54 cal. black powder rifle kit. Heck of a lot of work. I think it turned out nice. I browned the barrel.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
that turned out beautiful. One hell of a job!

What kind of clear did you put on it?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you. I just used Tru-Oil. I should have done a better job fitting everything but the wood is very hard.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
yeah i know what you mean. When ever i build great plains rifles " lyman" i have to use wood rasps and files along with a sanding block to get all the edges nicely shaped and fitted.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
nicely done .

while it may seem so , the European walnut that Lyman uses isnt really all that hard .
it is however much harder then the beech that traditions and CVA use .

i would say my most used tool is a big heavy Foyers rasp . that�s followed by a group of less aggressive round and flat rasps then into files and scrapers and chisels for shaping

[Linked Image]
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That look great, You will like the 54 also

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Italians make some pretty nice rifles. Good job!

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looks great Patrick, good job. Better than the finished rifle you would have bought from Cabela's no doubt.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Great choice in browning the barrel. Also beautiful job finishing the wood.

Doc

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Very nice job!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...
...is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Outstanding job and kudos on the browning..your wood to metal fit ?..better than many production rifles wink

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes sir, that looks nice.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Very nice job! You won't regret putting your time into a real wink muzzleloader. (Sorry. Couldn't help yanking the chains of my in-line shooting brothers). grin

I picked up a Thompson-Center .54 Renegade (VERY clean!) a few weeks ago. Mine has the 48" twist barrel. I'm still trying to fine tune a round ball load. The barrel is new enough that I'm still getting some abraded patches, but the load work is coming along. My last trip to the range, my last three shots all cut the 10 ring @ 50 yards, albeit on three corners. The group size was about 2" center-to-center. That's not great, but it's certainly minute of whitetail. By the way, the 50 yard limitation is an accommodation to my aging eyes and open sights.

Good luck with your good look'n rifle!

PC

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very good job. I understand hard wood. Made my rifles from curly maple planks I bought from a kiln long ago. Have to do all cutting cross grain.
A secret for all of you, make your own "V" chisels out of old triangular files with a Moto tool. I never, ever found a bought one that cut. One from a file will cut clean forever. They cut so good you can follow a curved line all over for carving.
This was done with a few.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I used to make all the brass and silver parts and engrave them. This is a swamped barrel flinter, took 2 weeks just to fit the barrel.
It is hard to carve like this with a pre formed stock. You need extra wood.

Last edited by bfrshooter; 09/10/11. Reason: addition
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice job on the rifle! You won't regret your choice of finishes. Even my dining room table is finished with Tru Oil. Never had a stain in 20 years.

What twist does the barrel have?

John

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Patrick,

Very nice!

I have two .54 cal T/C's with the 1:48 twist and they both love a Hornady .535 swaged round ball with a .015 lubed patch over 85gr GOEX FFFg. Yes, FFFg. If I use FFg, I need to jump to 90gr using GOEX and if I am luck enough to find Swiss, I can drop back to 85gr FFg.

The next accuracy node with the same ball and patch comes in at 110gr GOEX FFg. Strange, but true...

Best wishes for your ML adventures!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Looks great, brown barrel gets bonus points!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
Very good job. I understand hard wood. Made my rifles from curly maple planks I bought from a kiln long ago. Have to do all cutting cross grain.
A secret for all of you, make your own "V" chisels out of old triangular files with a Moto tool. I never, ever found a bought one that cut. One from a file will cut clean forever. They cut so good you can follow a curved line all over for carving.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I used to make all the brass and silver parts and engrave them. This is a swamped barrel flinter, took 2 weeks just to fit the barrel.

I've owned a few like this your work is excellent.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've owned a few like this your work is excellent.

Patrick did very well, I can't find fault. Make your own tools and life gets easier.
Also see my post on using Tru Oil, it is wonderful stuff.
The best stain is Laural Mountain, it will not raise grain and goes deep into wood for pure beauty.
If you want fear, have someone bring you a $300 blank and a rifle action for a custom with fancy hand checkering!
I made this one for myself. 6.5 Swede, chunk of cherry from my woods, chainsawed out.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I can't take the fear anymore, too old!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Many and almost all of you can do wonderful work. I love to see what you fellas do. Get over fear, it has been a bad feeling with all of the guns I have built by hand. It will go away as things take shape. In the end, you can pat yourself on the back and I will also. It is something to be proud of, making your own gun and then having a good hunt.
Most of you don't realize the talent you have. You can do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 49 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,513
Posts18,490,790
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.