-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hmmm... might work for lighter loads, but looks a bit weak on the frame side for truly heavy loads (over 85lbs).

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I am way to old to carry much more than 85 pounds so it seems good to me. I'll give my younger partners the frame pack.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Quick update... I'm still sorting through the videos for clips about the pack so just some brief info here and some stills from the trip.

Overall I'm pleased with the pack and it will be my primary pack this fall. Until I have a complete hunting season under it I will have the KCH in the truck for backup.

Observations (in the order that the occur to me at this moment)
  • I am at the upper limit of the fit range for the pack at 21" torso.
  • The hip belt is not overly padded and it was quite comfortable. I have no soreness or bruising
  • I wish the hip belt used the Kelty style Scherer Cinch where you pull toward the center to tighten it.
  • I like that the load sling stores away when you've got a smaller load
  • The straps on the compression wings are a good length
  • The top straps on the load sling are too short
  • Load lifters were more like load snuggers. Tightening them had the feeling of brining the whole load close in to my back. If they were loose it felt like the load wanted to pull me over backward. I wouldn't say that it felt like my shoulders were completely unloaded like they can with the KCH. That being said I never felt like I was carrying the whole load on my shoulders. This may simply be a difference in feeling between and internal type frame and an external frame.
  • The polyethylene frame sheet is stiff. There is a three inch waffle like structure that runs between the stays from the lower back area to the top of the pack.
  • The stays appear to be riveted to the frame sheet. I don't know how feasible it would be to try and shape the stays.
  • The lumbar area has front/back flex and a small amount of torsional flex
  • I had a touch of soreness on the tendon at the front of my right armpit on the hike out.
  • 65 lbs was comfortable. To qualify this statement... I have not backpacked this year. I have only done one day hike with significant elevation gain. I have not yet lost any of the weight I want to drop. My hipflexors were sore especially after sitting in a car for 7.5 hours returning to Denver after a 2 hour hike on overgrown trails.
  • the load lifters and should straps seem to work loose. Occasional tugs on the adjustments were required to remain comfortable. This may be because the hardware could accept a thicker gauge of webbing that they are using.
  • I did not have any problems with the hip belt tension.
  • The pack was quiet

Interim conclusion:
The pack is a compromise between a true load hauler and a utility pack. I will feel comfortable hunting with this pack on as a day pack with the ability to haul a load of meat immediately. I know that I can haul my camp in and out with this setup for the planned distance and weight at my current level of conditioning. I do plan to improve my fitness level by commuting by bicycle to my new office location. about ten miles each way. I have no experience with packs like the KUL, K-LongHunter or MR nor can I afford to experiment with such packs without the generosity of others. For $79 the LL Bean pack is an excellent value for an entry level do-all hunting pack.

I'll have at least one more post of some video diary about the pack as I sort through the clips for useful information instead of my retarded ramblings.

--thumper338

Setup light for water and wood duty.
[Linked Image]

The wild flowers were amazing
[Linked Image]

Really there's a trail there... I promise.
[Linked Image]

What do I do with all the tarps I pack my stuff with? It doubles as shelter.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
great pics of your gear and especially the terrain........just gorgeous.....especially so since i've had .62" of moisture since Oct,2010.
2 mile hike in with what? 65lbs?
What was elevation change?

Those images really stir the desire to breakout the ol Jansport D3......til my 62 yr old L4 and L5 in harmony with S1 sing,"you're not a kid anymore".
Good luck on your hunt.......may Orion smile down on ya.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by chapped_lips
2 mile hike in with what? 65lbs?
What was elevation change?

3.5 miles. 65lbs. ~1300ft gain from trail to camp. The camp is at ~8800ft

--thumper338

IC B2

G
G
I'm looking for new backpack that lighter than older one.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Mine came already and I have been toting 75 pounds of weight plates in the back yard with it and my Kelty Frame Pack. The Bean pack is very versatile and a great value. It won't quite handle a heavy load as comfortably as a good frame will but it's pretty usable. The lashing points/system really allow a wide range of shapes to be handled efficiently.

I'm keeping it.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Glad to hear it worked for you North61.

I'm keeping mine too and using it as my primary pack this year. I hope to bring a cow elk out with it this year.

I finally sorted through some of the video. Skip to 2:02 to skip a repeat of the pictures from the first post. I though that I should provide all of the information I could for those that have not read 24hr.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by thumper338
Loaded for the weekend.
Three days food + 3L water on board weighs in at 65 lbs.

OMG! It's OK to leave some stuff at home! :-)

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by russ_outdoors
OMG! It's OK to leave some stuff at home! :-)

This was a test run for 7day elk camp to test the pack... so included quite a bit more than one would take for an overnight.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Impressive nonetheless. Looks like a great deal on a pack.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been looking for utility pack that might work for hauling my smaller tree stands. My hunting buddy and I have two leases this year and will be moving stand more often than usual. Looks like this might work well. Appears that it may work for hauling deer/elk quarter and function as a day pack as well. I'm going to give it a try.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thank you. I am getting one of these to use as a daypack for my elk hunt this year.

I had a MR setup that was made by Camelbak (Cerberus) and added a flatbed and load sling. I used it for backpacking and carried out an elk with it. Soon decided that my backpack hunting days are behind me and I could never get my brain around the concept that it weighed 9 lbs before I put anything in it.

I have an L.L. bean Bigelow that I use as a daypack, and for overnighters with the Boy Scouts. It fits well and seems like I should have paid more for it than I did.

Last year I bought a Cache Hauler that lived in the truck and used the Bigelow as my hunting daypack. I did not get an elk so the Cache Hauler got returned. Had intended to do the same this year. Thinking this might be the compromise I've been searching for and it costs less than the Hauler.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I have one in transit, if you google "ll bean coupon" I found a code to get an additional 10-15% off when I ordered last weekend. Mine's due to be delivered either tomorrow or Wed.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for the tip on the coupon. I'll probably wait a few days to order as I'll be out of town and do not want it showing up while I'm gone. If you have a minute, post your impressions of it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just received my Hunter's Carry all and thought I'd give my quick, first impression of the pack. When I first took it out of the box, the pack was just a bit smaller than what I expected but I quickly realized that the straps allow it to be adjusted to a nice size. It will be perfect for a day pack and even more if needed. The pack appears to be well made with sturdy materials and good stitching. More importantly, fits my frame nicely (5' 10", 36 in. waist, 190 lbs). The waist belt is a bit narrow compared to my other larger pack but, seems appropriate for the pack size. So far, I've only tried it with 40 lbs. and it handled the weight well and I think it work fine for transporting my tree stands and an elk quarter as well. By the way, it has a place to put a smaller 2 liter hydration pack as well. Based on the price, I'm quite pleased with the purchase.

For those that my want to use it as a day pack +, you might want to consider purchasing an XL compression sack to convert it to a fully useable backpack. I ordered a 46 liter, 2800 cubic in. Alps Mountaineering Cyclone compression sack that is a perfect fit for the pack and it even has a top lid like my other pack. It won't replace my Kifaru Longhunter but the hunter's carryall will work just fine as a hauler and daypack. If it stands up to the stresses of hunting (and I think it will), I'll be a happy camper.

Last edited by Biggs300; 09/14/11.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I can now safely say that this pack will carry a 140 pound moose quarter. Fortunately I only tested it over a 200 yard trail from moose pond to canoe. Though the pack was capable, I was less so.If not for a hastily cut willow walking stick I think I might still be there!

[Linked Image]
We needed to take this to the canoe. The straps expanded to surround the largest loads and there are so many straps that no single strap is overstressed. I did need to do some leaning forawrd to keep my balance with such a heavy load.

No shots of the pack in action...my son's camera crapped out on us. I have the canoe going in and 3/4's of the field dressing but nothing after this including some potential shots of a cow/calf in the water that would have been pretty great.

I do have some shots of the pack getting cleaned. The bathtub water has a nice red glow. The pack worked well enough that my hunting partner is buying one too.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good report, and so far I am really liking mine. Have not tested it with a great amount of weight and distance but so far its a keeper.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by SU35
Good report, and so far I am really liking mine. Have not tested it with a great amount of weight and distance but so far its a keeper.

Thanks.... one issue to be aware of is that the pack has a lot of open cell padding in the hip belt and back. You appreciate this when packing but it along with the nylon does absorb blood and smells. Mine needed 5 rinses in the bath with lots of kneading to get clean.

The absorption will mostly be an issue with the hip belt as the back foam is separated from the load by the frame.

First Rinse
[Linked Image]

I love the way the multiple straps and attachments allow you to grab ahold of any shape and hold it securely. It won't haul quite as well as a very rigid external..but then nothing does. It's a very useful hybrid and I'll be keeping mine. It's very compact and unique. I like it a lot.

Last edited by North61; 09/18/11.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah, I was thinking to pack your kit and and then an initial load of meat it would work well.

I always have an DD external back at the truck.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,406
Posts18,488,965
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.