Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We don't feed corn but a guy at the feed store near our lease told me Monday that it is $386.00 per ton in bulk right now and it may go higher.

NRA Member
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by waterbug
We don't feed corn but a guy at the feed store near our lease told me Monday that it is $386.00 per ton in bulk right now and it may go higher.

OMG!!! That's $9.65 for 50 pounds. Here it's only $11 per 50 pound bag and you can just pick them up as you need them and there isn't much corn grown around here.

We have such a huge bear problem here that I need to stop feeding corn altogether. Bears LOVE corn and will go through almost ANYTHING to get to corn and they'll return over and over and over and keep trying and trying and it seems that they always find a way and tear up feeders etc to get it!

Reportedly bears don't care for soy beans and so far that's proven true on my leases so I may have to switch to soy beans completely which are much more expensive here... <sigh>

We're investigating making a trip to a midwestern farm and buying a 7x16' 6ft tall box trailer full of soybeans to try to save money. Is there anyone here that can tell me what that might weigh? I bet a farmer could figure it out pretty quickly.

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LDHunter

We're investigating making a trip to a midwestern farm and buying a 7x16' 6ft tall box trailer full of soybeans to try to save money. Is there anyone here that can tell me what that might weigh? I bet a farmer could figure it out pretty quickly.

$bob$

If my memory serves me.....a bushel of beans takes up about 1.25 cu/ft. If you filled up your trailer you'd have something over 530 bushel on which would weigh out around 30,000lbs. Hope it's a hefty trailer and pickup. ..grin..

Our local elevator was paying $14.23/bushel last Friday, bring yer checkbook.

My old dog loves to eat soybeans during harvest as we're augerin' them into the bin, makes him powerful gassy though. I think they're pretty tasty too, has the same effect on my inards as well. Can't imagine bears wouldn't love 'em.

Edited to say they figure a bushel of beans weighs in at 60lbs. Very rarely do we have 60lb beans, the norm is more in the 56-57lb range. Might help you out a bit whilst hauling your boxload of beans home. ..grin..

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
$8.65 per 50-pound sack here. It's killing me. Last year we were paying half that. Between the demand for ethanol, and the floods in the midwest, and the drought down here, I'm just screwed all the way around. Got to have it, so it's like gasoline, I just pay the going price.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
$11.95 for 50# here in WNC. Bought a couple of bags to put out in front of cameras. No feeders happening this year.

7wby
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It is $3 a 50 # bag more than it was last year. Thankfully I do not use much.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
About $6.oo for a 50 pound bag in the piedmont of N.C.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Originally Posted by LDHunter

$bob$

If my memory serves me.....a bushel of beans takes up about 1.25 cu/ft. If you filled up your trailer you'd have something over 530 bushel on which would weigh out around 30,000lbs. Hope it's a hefty trailer and pickup. ..grin..

Our local elevator was paying $14.23/bushel last Friday, bring yer checkbook.

My old dog loves to eat soybeans during harvest as we're augerin' them into the bin, makes him powerful gassy though. I think they're pretty tasty too, has the same effect on my inards as well. Can't imagine bears wouldn't love 'em.

Edited to say they figure a bushel of beans weighs in at 60lbs. Very rarely do we have 60lb beans, the norm is more in the 56-57lb range. Might help you out a bit whilst hauling your boxload of beans home. ..grin..

Thanks Muleshoe,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner... I guess I didn't realize how dang heavy corn and soybeans really are.... Wow! My trailer only has two 3500 pound axles so I suspect I wouldn't be able to justify the fuel to go get bulk soybeans. frown

On another note the timber company we lease one of our hunting properties from went in and clear cut all of our mature pines in the last few weeks and we sure have a lot of tillable land now.... wink

We may just have to greatly increase the size of our food plots and quit feeding bagged corn and soybeans altogether... wink

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right at $10 per 50 lb bag and we've been feeding 3 feeders year round due to the drought. I think it's paying off because we've seen does and decent bucks on the game cams. Just don't want to have to do it next year!

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
In NE Oklahoma its $10/50 lbs. About $360/ton. Im still feeding but I'm gonna put more into our late September plots to save in the long run. Probly plant 2-300 acres. We have had no rain this year and 48 days over 100 deg. We are in crisis mode at this point. It as bad as Ive ever seen it.

Winter is gonna be tough on the critters with littleto no food.

Joseph

Joseph
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ptisd335
What is the cost of corn were you live. Here in Central Georgia it is $8.47 for 40lb bag at your locale sporting good chain (30 miles from were I live). Here in town it is $11.97 for 50lb bag and don&#146;t forget the tax. Today I found a guy who was selling 55 gallons of corn for $65.00 tax included. I have no idea of the weight of a 55 gallon drum of corn is, but it is a lot&#133;..

A 55 gallon drum will hold between 320 to 335 pounds. You ask how I know, well last Friday I just filled my feeder up with corn. It is a 55 gallon drum with a moultrie pro magnum feeder motor on the bottom of it. I poured eight 40 pound bags of corn in it and it still had room for maybe 10 to 15 more pounds maybe. I had paid 8.97 a bag (40 LBS) at wally world for that corn. Heck corn is sky high and is only going to go higher.

NEVER GIVE UP
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a bunch for 6.75 a bag (40#) a couple of months ago but it has been more than that overall for a while.

As long as we are burning it in our cars it will continue to stay high and our lawnmowers, boats, motorcycles and such, will continue to end up with carb problems. Never mind the overall loss of efficiency but off topic so I digress!

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Between 9 and 10 dollars here in NW Alabama.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BIGR
Heck corn is sky high and is only going to go higher.

I'm hoping so...

..grin..

Black Cows Matter!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
About $5.50/50lbs Bag. But we can get it cheaper in bulk, though I don't usually because I don't use much. It's just to get them to hold still for the camera, and put some does in one spot so I can get a real good look at them.

NRA Endowment member, BAA Lifer, USPSA Life member, SCSA Life member, ICORE

To teach those that don't know, To remind those that do Know, To correct those that think they know.
-Helio Gracie
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They are getting so chinchy around here, I've seen it going in 30lb bags for a whopping $1 less than 50lbers.

I'm picking up 3-1/2 tons tomorrow for $250/ton.

Last edited by Reloader7RM; 09/15/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just hunt by the field. There's acres of corn, and it's free. grin

Around me the corn is harvested during the regular firearm deer season, sometimes a little earlier or later, depending on drying conditions. It's cheaper to dry corn with sunshine than propane, but we don't control the sunshine. When a farmer fires-up the combine during deer season, the neighbors surround the field with rifles in hand. The bigger bucks like to hide in there. It's amazing how few rows a deer will hide in. It is common for them to wait until the last strip is run before bolting out. A fair number get chewed by the equipment rather than leave the safety of cover during daylight hours.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JBGQUICK
on the cob? Shucked? Ground?

I was thinkin in the JAR!... grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Is this the ag market report or are you guys baiting deer?
This morning it was $7.01 on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. Lot of factors go in to the demand side, including 50% of corn is going to ethanol plants. Lol, its a good thing you aren't buying soybeans - $13.86.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 09/16/11.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In SE Texas it is $8 for a 40# bag at Academy & Walmart.

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,176
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.