Print Thread
Hop To
S
Shadow9 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Despite the Sig 232 being a GORGEOUS gun, and tiny, easily hidden, I've decided that .380 is a bit of a gamble in SD situations, and is expensive to practice shooting.

Thus, it's on to a 9mm, slender/concealed. My issue is the G19 has had issues hiding on me due to it's "brick" like thickness, both in handle and in back of barrel.
For criteria, I enjoy a low-bore axis, and swept-handle. A good "pointer", if you will. (Walthers are out, sold one to get the 232...).

I saw a picture of a P7 and a G19, and they seemed about the same thickness, especially at the base of the handle, but that was just pics. Would a P7 be slender enough to keep up with a P232 in concealment?

Any other suggestions?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm not a Glock guy, but I would pick the G19 over the P7, if for nothing else magizine capacity.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Definitely try both; Glocks and HKs are both essentially indestructible. However, there is a dizzying variety of holsters available for the G19. They are a bit less expensive than the P7, and the G19 will also accept the 17 and 33 round mags as well, just for a bit of zombie-slaying hoots and hijinks. Also, the smooth, rounded polymer of the Glock is (for me, at least) less unpleasant to have against my bare skin than a steel frame. They are both great guns, though. You can't go wrong.

Take a look at the Glock 26. I love mine, and I can conceal it by just untucking my t-shirt. If the "my pinky has nothing to rest on" syndrome bugs you, stick a Pearce grip extension on one of your mags (about $10), and it'll feel just like a smaller 19 (which it basically is). It'll also use the Glock 19 mags, as well as the G17 and the 33 round mags mentioned above.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Size-wise the P7 feels a bit slimmer than the G19, though somewhat heavier.
I CCW a G19, and I really like it.
The 'manual of arms' on a P7 is pretty unique what with that squeeze cocker feature. Nice, if it is your primary handgun, but a bit of a pain, I found, if you like to switch platforms upon occasion.

In short, I would go with the Glock.
Just one guys experience.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Shadow9
Despite the Sig 232 being a GORGEOUS gun, and tiny, easily hidden, I've decided that .380 is a bit of a gamble in SD situations, and is expensive to practice shooting.

Thus, it's on to a 9mm, slender/concealed. My issue is the G19 has had issues hiding on me due to it's "brick" like thickness, both in handle and in back of barrel.
For criteria, I enjoy a low-bore axis, and swept-handle. A good "pointer", if you will. (Walthers are out, sold one to get the 232...).

I saw a picture of a P7 and a G19, and they seemed about the same thickness, especially at the base of the handle, but that was just pics. Would a P7 be slender enough to keep up with a P232 in concealment?

Any other suggestions?
If you're looking for a slim, easy to conceal carry, 9mm, you can do no better than the Kahr P-9.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would take the Glock 19 or 23 over the P7 and not look back. The Glock 36 is another good option. If you want 9mm and concealment look no further than the Kahr P9

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am not a glock guy either but I will give the gun its due...its a good reliable gun with lots of good hosters availble and cheap magazines...not so with the HK

James Dunn

[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tend to carry IWB, and for that, I tend to think you need some barrel/slide length to get the gun to �lock� under the belt and stay in place. The H&K doesn�t have much slide past the trigger guard and I�d be worried it would keep trying to wriggle its way back out of the holster when I sit down & stand up. It does seem thinner than the Glock. A G19 is a great pistol for sure.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The S&W M&P seem to be thinner than the Glock 19 but not by much.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I owned and carried a P7M8 for several years. I shot one that a friend had and I had to have one. It was an accurate, slim and well balanced. However, due to its design, relatively short slide and heavy grip, so to speak, it was hard to find a quality holster that would hold it tight to the body to prevent it from "printing". I settled on a Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB and one of their heavy duty belts. In the summer I carried it in a Galco Fanny Pack.

The gun, although well designed, super accurate and durable, it has several drawbacks:

1. Mags. were expensive ($45.00) and hard to come by. Me, personally, I require and use 12 mags per pistol to allow for training / carry mags and to rotate them.

2. It is not designed for extensive range sessions due to the gas system. The area near the dust cover, or front of the frame, would heat up rather quickly and was rather hot, even though there was a plastic sleeve there (I shoot thumbs forward).

3. The manual of arms is way different that anyother handgun outhers; mag release, slide lock... If this is the only handgun you will use and carry then go for it.

4. They are no longer made. Parts and mags will be hard to come by.

I also own, shoot and carry glocks. Mags are readily available and inexpensive. More holsters are available for the glocks. They are stil being made and parts are readily available.

To me a carry/self defense handgun is a tool. As a LE veteran I know that if you shoot someone in self-defense, the gun is taken from you. You may eventually get it back after the investigation, civil lawsuits etc.. To me if I loose one of my Glocks it's no big deal. I have more. If you have a high $$ handgun, which I also have, you may be out several thousand $$ But, you will still be alive.

Keep this in mind: it's not the tool, it's the person operating it that counts.

You will not be disappointed with the Glock 19/23. Buy lots of ammo with the difference that you will save over buying the P7 series.

I hope this helps.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not a Glock guy either, but I think it's hard to go wrong with a 19.

`Bring Enough Gun`

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,411
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.