Print Thread
Hop To
H
handsup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I downsized to a 2011 Taco 4x4 and all is well (love the ride and the electric locker) other than something you may need to check.
My lug wrench did not fit and the jack will not raise front or rear tires high enough for changing. First dealer said I had to go back to the place of purchase, and that dealer's Service Director said to jack under the A arm and the rear axle not what is shown as the safe way in the manual with the truck nor as shown on the sticker on the jack it's self, this after trying jacks from a similar truck on his lot with that truck and my truck (that jack did not work on either truck, he did give me a lug wrench). I have filed a request for clarification and/or complaint with with Toyota USA and another a week later as they did not get back to me, still waiting. I would check you tire equipment.

Last edited by handsup; 09/14/11.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Weird. That seems like something that would not be easily overlooked on the production line...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm too tired right now to go out and check and if I DO need help, I'll call AAA! (I've only been a member for a year or so, my wife thought it was time!)

In the next few days I'll check it out. I don't have a TRD, just a SR5 dbl cab, 4x4.

handsup-you have a TRD I assume?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is the jack designed for a standard car tire but without enough lift for optional truck tires? Does it have custom lug nuts instead of the standard?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Couldn't rest without knowing....................

Yea, mine works just fine on black top. Not sure how much travel would be left in the jack (I guess I could run it to the top but..) in a soft ground deal but it worked fine and the lug wrench fit just like it should.

Them Japs got it all figured out!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd suggest keeping a small piece of heavy plywood under the seat for a jack base on soft ground.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Mine works, I know cuzz I had a flat recently.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
handsup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I have the TRD Off-Road package, with the standard alloy wheels you see on all the trucks with P265/70R16. The jack will not lift a wheel on either dealers concrete nor would the other similar truck's jack lift mine or that truck. I'm carrying a hydraulic jack wrapped in an old floor mat to keep it from rattling.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Not an unusual issue w/ Toyota's in my experience (Tundra's & Tacomas).
Someone from one of their dealerships once told me that the jacks are set up for the basic steel wheels / standard "P" rated tires and don't always work on the optional alum. wheels / truck tires.
I carried a block of wood around with my 2001 Tundra TRD......
FWIW

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by elkjaeger
Not an unusual issue w/ Toyota's in my experience (Tundra's & Tacomas).
Someone from one of their dealerships once told me that the jacks are set up for the basic steel wheels / standard "P" rated tires and don't always work on the optional alum. wheels / truck tires.
I carried a block of wood around with my 2001 Tundra TRD......
FWIW

No big deal right?

I'd be a bit torqued if my freaking jack didn't work! Alas, it does so all is good on my end.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i owned an AMC SX/4 that had 5 on 5 1/2 axles and a spare that was 5 on 4 1/2. it was the first year of the SX/4 and had an odd stance compared to a regualer Eagle, it had random old Wagoneer parts, including the IFS 44 run in the like 1972 Cherokee, and a AMC rear end. it had a T-case with 4 LO insted of the vacuum switch on the dash, weird car and i wish i still had it

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I had an AMC Eagle that was put through the paces. It finally went down at 285K miles.

It was a junker except for the motor that wouldn't die. You didn't need a key to start it. I smoked like crazy. It burned a quart of oil every 45 miles. The thing was a real junker.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Eagle was before it's time. Nobody saw the use of a 4x4 car. Now days they're everywhere.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
All of my family vehicles have a set of tire plugs and a small air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter in them. Had lots of flats, but 90% of the time you can air it up enough with the compressor to get you to a service station or tire store without using the plugs. I have had to use the plugs a couple of times, but it is much easier than having to craw under a muddy truck to get out the spare and change a tire.

I haven't used a jack in 20 years. Only time I used my spare tire, a tire store put it on. We had been vacationing in Colorado last summer. My low air light came on while crossing Oklahoma. Pulled over and tried airing up, but was losing air as fast as it went in. Found the hole, plugged it and made it to the next exit. Since it was almost dark we got a cheap motel and I found a tire store the next morning. They patched it from the inside, but advised me they would not trust it, so they put my spare on and I drove home on it. I had 43,000 miles on those tires, so I bought a new set after getting home.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

274 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 2ndwind, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 36 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,320
Posts18,526,412
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.