Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
What is it? And I'm not really asking in the sense of "the birth of my child", etc. More like tangible things - things that others might see one day.

So now that I've asked, I'm gonna slightly weasel out and say that I can't decide which of my top 2 is #1...

First candidate: There's a cypress tree in Longwood, Florida, called The Senator. Huge, and estimated to be ~3500 years old. I'm a tree-kinda-guy, and seeing a big one, still alive, that was standing right there for 3500 years of history is pretty awesome.

Second candidate: H.L. Hunley (Confederate submarine). Went to Charleston last weekend, and did the tour of the conservation lab. When you know the story, and think about the Engineering involved, it's really something else.

So, what's yours?

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Boobs...

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Boobs...

Winner!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Boobs...

Ding..Ding..Ding....Winner...!

I'm with you on the big trees. The Sequoias up in NE California are something to behold,..as well as Yosemite.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the Grand Canyon is tops for me. Absolutely breathtaking.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
a tiger shark that was several feet longer than the 12ft zodiac i was in.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Badlands.....Russ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Elephant trunks reaching up out of a thick canopy of trees to grab the choice parts of the tree tops. Could not see any other part of any Elephant, but one could shure hear them and watching those amazing trunks do thier thing right up close and personal was really cool.

Been really close to some breaching whales, A wild Rhino, Soe Brown Bears... I guess really big animals up close get my motor runnin the mostest.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Was fishing REALLY calm water off the Farallon Islands...the boat captain had said to "reel em up" & I was watching this old Chinese guy next to me reel up his shrimp flies to see what he had, because it looked like he had a load on the other end...at about 25-30 feet you could make out a real nice red of about 10 lbs....all of a sudden from under the boat comes a great white swimming just as leisurely as you please...he just opened his mouth, the red disappeared & line started peeling off the Chinese dudes reel as he was yelling Shock!!!! Shock!!!! As the old guy put pressure on the line, it caused the shark to come within inches of the surface...when that happened, the shark, still leisurely tooling along, gave a quick shake of the head & the line went slack as the fish headed down, out of sight...it was a "National Geographic" moment...

ETA: I'd guess the size of that shark, at all of 18 ft.

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 09/15/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read a good book about the great whites and the Farallon Islands called 'The Devil's Teeth'. Cool history of those islands, and interesting goings on out there.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Would have to be watching a great white launch from the sea with a seal flinging from its mouth at Seal Island just off Cape Town. We are going back next summer and I do want to try that again. The two older boys want to do the shark cage thing. I'll watch.

A very close second would be the entire experience of my fly in horseback hunt in NE BC a couple of hours outside Ft. Nelson. The hunting was fine, the experience priceless. That too I will do again.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Taos & Acoma Pueblos, they were occupied before the Spaniards showed up and stay in the same family through the youngest daughter as she is most likely to take care of the parents.

Acoma Pueblo (Sky City) Settled and built around 1100 AD, it is one of the oldest continuously inhabited communities within the United States borders.

Taos Pueblo is an ancient pueblo belonging to a Taos (Northern Tiwa) speaking Native American tribe of Pueblo people. It is approximately 1000 years old.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably the Tower of London. Almost 900 years old, and to walk through and see the history in the exhibits it has, as well as the history that happened within it's walls was stupefying.

Cannons from Napoleonic wars were awesome.

But Cullinan diamond was the top, tho. 530 carats... you don't know how amazing it is until you're in front of it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After reading these post, I guess I am not very sophisticated. But the most fascinating thing I saw was the shock wave generated by a 3,900 feet per second bullet on its way to a rock chuck.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Human Female Reproductive Organ (Exterior Aspect)

MMMMmmmm,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I lived near the National Bison Range for 12 years. The first time I was near a herd bull,the sheer size and majesty just stunned me.

So much bigger and more powerful looking than your average cow or bull.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The San Francisco earthquake of 89 and the sights, sounds and emotions that went with it.

Last edited by cmathews; 09/15/11.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
At one time - sitting in one spot - about 10 years ago, I once watched a black bear, many caribou, three moose, and about a half a dozen mountain goats (plus I saw a Goshawk pluck a squirrel off of a dead snag - while faking right and then catching it when it went around to the left) while I sat leaning against a log in the sunshine, looking on.

I never shot a thing that day - but I consider it the best day of hunting I've ever had.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"The new Nosler Ballistic Tip box - have you seen it?"

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Glassing a canyon at 10,000ft. the end of October. The leaves on all of the quakies had already turned. As I was looking over about a 10 acre patch of quakies, the wind picked-up blowing up the canyon. All at once, thousands-upon-thousands of leaves lifted off of the trees at the exact same instant. It looked like a cloud of a million butterflies floating up and away in one giant swarm. I doubt I'll ever get to witness that again in my lifetime. Tim

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,135 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,563
Posts18,531,649
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.