Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by T LEE
Try hard as you can to lay hands on a Kel-Tec PMR-30 .22 WMR pistol. Good size, good sights, light weight and comes with 2-30 round magazines.
Are these reliable weapons?

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A Serpa is okay for a Glock or a Beretta 92 but avoid a Serpa 1911 holster:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE

The Safariland ALS holster is vastly superior in every way to the Serpa. It is a LOT easier to draw from with the support hand. I've seen some scary looking stuff go on watching support hand draws from a Serpa.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Try hard as you can to lay hands on a Kel-Tec PMR-30 .22 WMR pistol. Good size, good sights, light weight and comes with 2-30 round magazines.
I was supposed to shoot one a few weeks ago, but it broke and had to be sent back to the factory before I could try it out. As soon as it gets back and I've shot it, I'll be able to form an opinion on reliability....

(Oh, and nothing personal, but it would be nice if shooters everywhere could get into the habit of not using the word "weapon" unless referring to scud missiles, cannons, or tanks. The words "handgun", "pistol", "revolver", "rifle", "long arm", and "firearm", all work as well and are far less inflammatory and play less into the prejudices of anti-gunners then that very aggressive word so beloved of TV commentators, "weapon".)

Last edited by Old_Writer; 09/17/11.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
9mm makes a fine trail gun, a 380 is a shortened version, I prefer the 9mm but thats me. I have carried a 9mm for many years and felt fine with it. Took it with me when deer hunting. Shot placement is key witha any firearm, the 9mm with the correct load will penetrate like crazy.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Old_Writer
I was supposed to shoot one a few weeks ago, but it broke and had to be sent back to the factory before I could try it out. As soon as it gets back and I've shot it, I'll be able to form an opinion on reliability....

(Oh, and nothing personal, but it would be nice if shooters everywhere could get into the habit of not using the word "weapon" unless referring to scud missiles, cannons, or tanks. The words "handgun", "pistol", "revolver", "rifle", "long arm", and "firearm", all work as well and are far less inflammatory and play less into the prejudices of anti-gunners then that very aggressive word so beloved of TV commentators, "weapon".)
The word weapon can apply to those arms used in sport too, not just combat. It's a broader term than you seem to believe, and I don't give a rat's ass what the word neurotically evokes in the minds of liberals.

"Hoplophobia: A mental disturbance characterized by irrational aversion to weapons." - Colonel Jeff Cooper

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I used my 4 inch Python to defend my son and me against an attacking Pit Bull/Charpei cross, it was absolutely a WEAPON. The 45ACP that rids on my hip every day is not a hunting or target shooting arm, it is a weapon.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I like "weapon".

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
While bears....in very unusual and unique circumstances.....can be real threat, mostly a wodds walking handgun is NOT a defensive weapon. While cougars are often mentioned, I'd venture to say that ever person who was "truely" threatened by then each year could fit in a very small closet.

To me, a woods gun is basically a small game gun....with the ability (if needed) to take a passing hog. Any gun which can take a hog is perfectly acceptable against "human" threats as well.

For that use, the 9mm (and slightly less so, the .380) would be perfectly good. I often carry a SAA in .32-20 when I walk the woods. I'd "prefer" a .45 ACP or .45 Colt, but don't feel "unarmed" with the smaller gun. The current trend towards fearing "lions and tigers and bears" when outside the livingroom is way overplayed. Also, if you "really" fear human preditors when walking about.....you probably should reconsider where you are walking!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I like "weapon".

grinWell yeah,but "weapon" covers just about everything from an axe to a nuke. I like "GUN" grin MY way of getting even wid my old Drill Sergeant grin As for my gun?? If I am carrying a rifle, I just carry a .22 revolver,eithe a 4" Diamondback or my OLD Smith K-22. If I am packing a pistol alone, Either a Colt Trooper MkIII or a Smith mod 58. Sometimes my G20.

Last edited by EvilTwin; 09/17/11.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I like "weapon".

grinWell yeah,but "weapon" covers just about everything from an axe to a nuke. I like "GUN" grin
A gun is a cannon. grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, mine is at least.....

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey guys, thanks again for the discussion and suggestions thus far.
Someone PM'd me and recommended this in .327 Fed. Mag. - what do y'all think?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/203/products_id/54616

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Hey guys, thanks again for the discussion and suggestions thus far.
Someone PM'd me and recommended this in .327 Fed. Mag. - what do y'all think?
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/203/products_id/54616
Seems about right for your purposes, but I think you're better off with a .38 Special for two reasons, 1) superior ballistics (except, perhaps, for trajectory flatness at distance), and 2) universal availability of ammo in multiple loads.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The word weapon can apply to those arms used in sport too, not just combat. It's a broader term than you seem to believe, and I don't give a rat's ass what the word neurotically evokes in the minds of liberals.

"Hoplophobia: A mental disturbance characterized by irrational aversion to weapons." - Colonel Jeff Cooper
Actually, you probably should give a rat's ass as to what you say and how it affects the public debate on the contentious issue of private ownership of firearms in the United States, unless you don't care if you loose that debate with it's all to obvious consequences.

"Weapon" is, indeed, a very broad word encompassing as it does every thing from a broken wine bottle to an atomic bomb. Unfortunately, it is almost exclusively used by the anti-gun lobby to indicate or imply that a civilian firearm is an offensive or destructive combat implement-- something best allowed to the military and police, but to be kept out of the hands of the citizenry at all costs. This is why the biased anti-gun community constantly uses the word "weapon" to instill hoplophobia into the general population--

Here are two sentences that both convey the same information:

1) A rifle is an excellent weapon for killing deer.
2) A rifle is an excellent firearm for harvesting deer.

One sentence equates weapons with killing, the other suggests firearms are an implement for gathering in a source of food. Which sentence is the most likely to be distasteful to the average person who has little or no interest in hunting or firearms?

All I'm saying is that the average shooter needs to choose his words with as much care as he'd use in choosing a handgun for home defense, being mindful of the unintended consequences of the use of either in today's society.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Actually, you probably should give a rat's ass as to what you say and how it affects the public debate on the contentious issue of private ownership of firearms in the United States, unless you don't care if you loose that debate with it's all to obvious consequences.

"Weapon" is, indeed, a very broad word encompassing as it does every thing from a broken wine bottle to an atomic bomb. Unfortunately, it is almost exclusively used by the anti-gun lobby to indicate or imply that a civilian firearm is an offensive or destructive combat implement-- something best allowed to the military and police, but to be kept out of the hands of the citizenry at all costs. This is why the biased anti-gun community constantly uses the word "weapon" to instill hoplophobia into the general population--

One sentence equates weapons with killing, the other suggests firearms are an implement for gathering in a source of food. Which sentence is the most likely to be distasteful to the average person who has little or no interest in hunting or firearms?

All I'm saying is that the average shooter needs to choose his words with as much care as he'd use in choosing a handgun for home defense, being mindful of the unintended consequences of the use of either in today's society.
All that reminds me way too much of politically correct speech codes, from which I instinctively recoil.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm not going to modify or dummy down my vernacular to appease the anti's.

If you want to, that's your business.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Going back and re-reading your original post, I'd tend to agree with The Real Hawkeye; a 4-inch .38 would probably by your best choice. Personally I'd opt for a S&W Model 13 simply because it offers a choice of .38 or .357 ammo. If the fixed sights are a problem then I'd consider a S&W Mod 19; again a revolver that handles both .38s and .357s. If you don't mind the extra weight (N-Frame Smiths weigh over 2 lbs.) you might want to consider a 4-inch S&W model 22 in .45 ACP; I packed one of these as a trail gun for years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

All that reminds me way too much of politically correct speech codes, from which I instinctively recoil.
Hawkeye, it's not about being politically correct. It's about being politically savvy.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hawkeye, it's not about being politically correct. It's about being politically savvy.
Sorry, I don't agree. Seems like a form of political correctness to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not going to modify or dummy down my vernacular to appease the anti's.
Carefully choosing your words doesn't appease the "anti" crowd, but it does immediately take you out of the pool of stereotyped gun owners that the anti-gun crowd loves to portray as ignorant, gum chewing, mouth breathers. Far from appeasing them, carefully choosing your words slaps them across the face with the iron glove of reality.

If you want to, that's your business.
Well, when I was editing G&A Magazine it was my business to present shooting as a wholesome, family oriented, all-American sport, and I went to great lengths to see to it that nothing appeared in the magazine that could be used by anyone to bring the vast panorama of shooting into disrepute. There was nothing in the magazine that appeased the anti-gun crowd; far from it. They hated us. They hated us not only because of our fiercely pro-Second Amendment stance, but because there was nothing in the magazine that could be quoted on radio, or shown on television, that played into their hands and advanced their anti-gun agenda.

All I'm saying is that we know the buzz words the gun haters constantly use to portray shooting and shooters as "dangerous" or "evil", and that shooters should think twice before using these words. Using words like "weapon" and "killing" when other words will more than suffice merely gives the gun haters more ammunition to shoot down our Second Amendment rights.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 219DW, 222Sako, 1badf350, 21, 50 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,696
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.