Hop To
#5586841 09/04/11
P
Pewi Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I own a Ithaca 37, built in the fifties. Is it possible to shoot steel shot with it? Any experience?
Peter

GB1

P
Pewi Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
This was my second (unnecessary) attempt to post. Sorry. Its more difficult to handle the internet than to shoot a shotgun right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some say yes, some no, it is an issue that has always generated considerable disagreement. You might see what Ithaca has to say, Browning recommends lead only in their Belgian (pre-72) shotgun barrels, but states that steel is fine in any Japanese made Browning barrel. Ithaca could have a similar policy, but I am unaware if they do or don't.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'd say no. Shooting steel thru a pre-steel shot barrel, can (will?) buldge it at the choke. Steel doesn't compress like lead. I'd hate to damage an old-timer.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well I would not shoot a 3.5" load of numbers 2's out of it but I would likely shoot a 2 3/4" lite load of 7's, especially if its not choked full. That's just my two cents and I won't comment on the in between choices... that is where it starts to get a little more gray.

Andrew
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Back in the earliest days of steel shot I blithely shot 2 3/4" magnum steel loads through my Ithaca M37 full choke. A box or two convinced me of the piss-poor killing qualities of steel for duck hunting, although the patterns with that combo probably had as much to do with it as anything. As far as I can tell, the choke/barrel wasn't damaged but I know I got off lucky and wouldn't consider doing it today.

I retired the gun for that purpose and switched to an A-5 with a light mod choke and struggled through a lot of years of waterfowl frustration until I discovered the joys of vintage doubles and soft non-tox shot and never looked back.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
An option is having a choke tube installed and using a steel shot suitable tube. It gives far more flexibility anyway and then there is no need to worry about the steel. I have a bunch of tubed older guns and have never had a problem.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
P
Pewi Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Thank you guys. I think I will stick to the lead shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
An option is having a choke tube installed and using a steel shot suitable tube. It gives far more flexibility anyway and then there is no need to worry about the steel. I have a bunch of tubed older guns and have never had a problem.

if you are an avid waterfowler or hunt upland a good deal where steel is required and really love your certain gun, this is a good option. However, I looked into doing this to a side by side and the cost to have both barrels done compared to the price difference of steel versus other usable non-tox meant I was going to have to shoot at least 20+ boxes to break even and did not account for lost value to gun. I just don't water fowl hunt to justify it. A single barrel and regular duck hunter would make this more economical. And you get the benefit of changing chokes!

Andrew
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What is the choke? If it was modified or improved cylinder I would shoot steel in 2 3/4 inch shells. The secret with steel is to pattern it. If you get over 100 # 3 pellets in a 30 inch circle at the distance you shoot your birds, any duck hit inside 40 yds is dead, period. If it flew off you missed. I have close friends who keep their shots inside 30 yds and kill birds stone cold dead with much smaller shot size.
Many heavy payload steel rounds just dont pattern well. It takes a bit of time and paper to find the right shell, but once you do they work. Many are having good success with the estate faststeel loads.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
IC B3

P
Pewi Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Its a 16 gauge with a modified choke. But I got so much different information here about this theme, I think I�ll stick to the lead shot. Better safe than sad.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've read a lot of back and forth on the subject but what Brister said in his book settled it for me. He wrote that manufacturers found it uneconomical to test out of production models and so defaulted to a lead shot only position. In testing he found an increase in bore diameter to vary between none and a lot depending on choke, barrel thickness, type of steel, and number of shots. That makes it pretty much unpredictable without actual shooting.

So I bought a steel capable shotgun for waterfowl and a bunch of bismuth rounds for favored old upland shotguns for times when I can't use lead and don't worry about it. Still working on that first batch of bismuth shells, there are other alternatives now.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, you're in Germany, are you? What prompted the question about steel shot - are you coming to North America for a waterfowl shoot?

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
P
Pewi Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
No I wont come to the USA, although some waterfowl hunting was a pretty good idea. In Germany lead shot is still allowed to be used, but I had a discussion with some hunting pals, who said they would use steel shot. So I wanted to know, if that was possible with my old gun and asked you guys. As long as lead shot is still allowed here, I will have no problems. But if things changes... I own a Remington 870 Wingmaster build in 1975. Perhaps this gun will help me to continue shooting then.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not that steel shot is required in the USA, non-toxic shot is required when hunting waterfowl and in some other instances. Manufacturers propose a shot composition to the U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service for approval as being non-toxic. Besides steel and bismuth, various mixtures of iron, tungsten, nickle, copper, tin and bismuth have been approved. Some approved shot is soft enough to be safely fired in any shotgun. Steel is the cheapest non-toxic shot and so it is the most popular choice. I should think EU nations would follow the same path.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still shoot my grandpas old parker side by side occasionally for pheasants and even ducks. It's choked full/full and I won't risk bulging a barrel by using steel. In that gun I shoot Kent Tungsten Matrix. It's powdered tungsten mixed with a polymer resin to form the shot. Shoots and hits like tungsten but very soft/malleable so as not to harm the barrels. Damn good stuff indeed.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Pewi: Ask Ithaca to be sure, but I would not risk a 50'S model 37 for steel shot. Use bismuth or some other soft nontoxic. Which will be a pain to find in 16 ga. But worth the peace of mind. All the Best

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by Pewi
No I wont come to the USA, although some waterfowl hunting was a pretty good idea. In Germany lead shot is still allowed to be used, but I had a discussion with some hunting pals, who said they would use steel shot. So I wanted to know, if that was possible with my old gun and asked you guys. As long as lead shot is still allowed here, I will have no problems. But if things changes... I own a Remington 870 Wingmaster build in 1975. Perhaps this gun will help me to continue shooting then.

As your are shooting european loads, there are some standard pressure steel loads, which could be useful. There should be some in 16-GA. However, tighter choke than � or improved modified give bad patterns, but the risque of bulging the muzzle is hardly considerable.

Rottweil has the Steel Game 16-GA, and up to #5, i.e. 3 mm, it can be shot in guns with standard pressure proof. http://www.rws-munition.de/produkte/schrotpatronen/steel-line/steel-game.html

Here in Sweden non-toxics are compulsary f�r waterfowling, and in my old 16-GA drilling, I use Eley Bismuth with good result, and it is the only non-toxic with 2�" shell. http://www.eleyhawkltd.com/nontoxic-bismuth.html

Pete

Last edited by Leverpete; 09/17/11.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10ring1, 163bc, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1234, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,995
Posts18,499,956
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.