Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Big fish.

Not warm-blooded however.

You might want to look that one up....

I just googled it. Wow, I stand corrected!

I had no idea that any fish are warm blooded. That's really cool.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Damn!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice Sardine

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Big fish.

Not warm-blooded however.

You might want to look that one up....

I just googled it. Wow, I stand corrected!

I had no idea that any fish are warm blooded. That's really cool.

several species of sharks are as well, great whites, makos and salmon sharks come to mind.....warm or cold blooded is a metabolic process and not necessarily dictated by being a "higher animal".....

on a similar weird critter note crocs and alligators are closer to birds than they are to lizards.....they have a 4 chambered heart just like birds and mammals.....proto-crocodilians and proto-dinosaurs(ancestors to birds) were really closely related, the crocodilians didnt take the next step to warm bloodednes.....

crocs remind us of lizards cause only aquatic forms have survived but in the past uprigh "land crocs" that ran like dogs and such were around, fortunately they had a very hard time competing with warm blooded mammals and dinosaurs....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
That is one whopper of a tuna
Like Old man and the Sea sized!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rattler
several species of sharks are as well, great whites, makos and salmon sharks come to mind.....warm or cold blooded is a metabolic process and not necessarily dictated by being a "higher animal".....

on a similar weird critter note crocs and alligators are closer to birds than they are to lizards.....they have a 4 chambered heart just like birds and mammals.....proto-crocodilians and proto-dinosaurs(ancestors to birds) were really closely related, the crocodilians didnt take the next step to warm bloodednes.....

crocs remind us of lizards cause only aquatic forms have survived but in the past uprigh "land crocs" that ran like dogs and such were around, fortunately they had a very hard time competing with warm blooded mammals and dinosaurs....

For a printer, you post a lot of (correct) biological info!

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i have stacks and stacks of books.....the wife got mad at me this weekend and told me to clean up my side of the bed which was cluttered with various things i had been reading the last few weeks and had to move a 4 foot stack of books back to the bookshelves....topics range from ethnobotany to orchids to dinosaurs to evolution of large African mammals to rifles of the old west......

also im the local "critter guy" and have been as long as i can remember....have had numerous snake and lizard and other critters....being at the paper has only made it worse, someone doesnt know what something is they bring it to the paper and i identify wierd bugs, plants and anything else someone brings by.....had a 6 inch praying mantis dropped off last week that hung out for awhile till i turned it loose crazy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OH MAN! They had to be in 7th heaven when they got that baby back to shore! Glad nothing chewed on it on the way back.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's freaking awesome! Man, what a fish.

Those your buddies that have the boat I see in a lot of your fishing pics? It looked like a no nonsense fish killer.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Holy Moly!! Absolutely awesome!! Makes the "legger" king mackerels and bigger wahoos I've caught look like minnows! I didn't know fish like that even existed. And I sure didn't know they were so valuable.

Do they travel in schools? or what?

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by MadMooner
That's freaking awesome! Man, what a fish.

Those your buddies that have the boat I see in a lot of your fishing pics? It looked like a no nonsense fish killer.

I have posted pics of me and tuna on that rig, yes. And yes, it's a no-frills, no-nonsense work boat. If fish don't hit the deck regularly, bills don't get paid. I admire some men that make their living from the sea, but I sure don't envy them. It's a quiet, somber ride coming home when there's not going to be a paycheck; this after spending lots of money to be able to get out and try. One of my buds pictured raises a family of five on what he brings home; he's the sole (ha, ha) breadwinner. For me it's adventure. For some, catching fish or not means the difference between beinbg able to send a kid to college or not...

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Skeezix

Do they travel in schools? or what?

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Yes, tuna are schooling fish, though giants are said to sometimes to be found as lone hunters.

Here are a few pictures of a so-called tuna 'blitz', which is essentially a feeding frenzy of tuna that have surrounded a bait ball and are taking turns slashing into the balled-up bait fish.

And you're most welcome. Thanks for the comments.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by antlers
I reckon a fish like that is worth a [bleep] of money.

It's all about fat content and the luck of hitting the market (auction) at the right time, but yes, that one fish may very well pay half the season's fuel bill. A grander is on my bucket list. It's a lofty goal, I know. I also know I *will* get one.

wink

I was thinking that such a catch is worth some serious dosh.
Amazing fish.

Leighton, you better get to work fishing, my friend.
wink

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
leighton,
Remember the series of photos in the old "Salt Water Sportsman" magazine?
It was about a half dozen high speed shots of a giant chasing and catching a bluefish.
I also seen the photos on the wall of a tackle store in Snug Harbor. Cool indeed.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by bucktales
leighton,
Remember the series of photos in the old "Salt Water Sportsman" magazine?
It was about a half dozen high speed shots of a giant chasing and catching a bluefish.
I also seen the photos on the wall of a tackle store in Snug Harbor. Cool indeed.

Probably these.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy shat!! That's big phookin fish!! Sushi???

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Holy shat!! That's big phookin fish!! Sushi???

But of course. wink

Fish ought to be touching down in Japan sometime tonight. Pity there couldn't be some identifying mark or something. I'd love to send my brother in law over to Tsukiji to see how much it brings on the auction floor. Might be interesting to have him walk up and tell the guys there that his BIL's buddies caught it on the other side of the world 36 hours prior and see how they react. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

Probably these.

[Linked Image]

Yepper, that's them.
IIRC , those were taken off the cape or BI, long time ago, Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 338reddog, 40 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.