Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Because Winchester doesn't make a full-stock carbine with set trigger for under $600.00 retail.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dogcatcher223

I recomended the Tikka over all the other if you go back and read my post. I recomended the SPS/ADL if country of orgin (Made in USA) was a consideration for DJTex (again read my original post). I have a Tikka (pre-T3) and find it to be a damn fine rifle. If he was choosing a USA built rifle, I would choose the SPS/ADL just about any day over the Savage. But that is me and my money, others have different opinions. I'm not knocking the Savage, just not my cup of tea, again others may have different opinions. While the SPS or ADL may be a little rough, a little elbow grease by the owner will reap many bennys for the owner. On top of that, once duties of truck gun have come and gone, there's a lot more goodies out there for the M700 than the Savage.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My opinion,
Tikka, sleek, smooth operating rifle, that has a super synthetic stock and super trigger. They shoot as well as any factory rifle can. Matte stainless finish is perfect in my opinion. I don't like a detachable clip, much less a plastic one, but how can you fault this rifle.

CZ, good shooter most of the time. Heavy gun with a very nice set trigger. Fit of the stock for me is not good, but again, these are fine rifles. I don't want to tote one all the time.

Savage, AccuTrigger solved the last of the Savage problems. Internal mag is an idea I like. As Elmer Keith said, "if you have any of the gun, you've got it all". Accuracy is usually top notch. The fact that the barrels are easy to change is icing on the cake. Improved synthetic stock is a very good one. In stainless this is a fine rifle and what I'm usually caught with in the woods now days. They are my pick, but you really couldn't go wrong with any of the three.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
HunterJim & Lee - this might appeal to you both. My other Tikka in 9.3x62 with the open sights!
[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have a dealer trying to find a T3 in 7mm-08 or .270 with open sights right now. Snow Dog's 9.3x62mm looks like a real hunting machine.

IC B2

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Very sharp gun, Snow Dog.

To stir the pot just a little more, what are your thoughts on the reliability and toughness of these guns in adverse conditions?

In Texas, they will see scorching heat, cold, rain, dust and hard use. I also will probably use this gun as a back up to my 300 Win Mag on deer, elk, etc. if I get the chance to go on hunts in the northwest, Canada or other exotic locations. Do you think these guns will withstand these conditions equally well? I am thinking the Savage might be a little tougher gun, but I am not sure why I think that. It just seems a little tougher built.

What do y'all think?

DJ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check out this older post, it is an excerpt from Revalation Outfitters in AK. I have no experience with Savages in such nasty conditions .... but it may be worth your time:

Older post

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Tough to know when the Savage he spoke of was made.

20 years ago they were pretty bad. The new ones are fine. Also, his was a DG/Stopping rifle, not the same standard as a local boy's deer getter.

My new 2004 Savage withAccutrigger is perfectly acceptable as a hunting rifle, and it shoots better than any other rifle I own.

To each his own, but remember that Savage has been through an ownership change and the new owner REALLY knows how to build rifles.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...I think Tikkas feel like toys.

I agree. The one's that I have handled (never shot, just cycled and played with...) all felt "cheap" to me. They are silky smooth, but for some reason the bolt seemed too "light". It just didn't have the weight to it that made me think the bolt was locked tighter than a bank vault. I like my rifles to have a little weight to them as I find them steadier to shoot free-hand. Just curious, but why aren't you considering the Rugers?

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
DJTex - I'm going on a bear hunt in a few weeks and both my Tikka's are coming with me. I'll let you know how they hold up then but I don't foresee any problems. I'm also going moose hunting in the beginning of December up north (think -20 degrees Celcius or around -5 degrees Fairenheit). If they perform as expected then I'll be a happy camper!

I know a couple of guys with the new Savages with the AccuTriggers and if I was not such a fan of the Tikkas then I would not hesitate to grab one. I know a guy with the lowest grade of Savage in .308 with the heavy barrel (12FV I believe) and that rifle shoots like a laser beam. I have seen him put 5 rounds into less than half-an-inch on several occasions with his handloads. Come to think of it, I don't have a 30 caliber right now.... ;-)

IC B3

DJTex Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, guys.

My only experience with the new Savages (my dad's that I described above) could not have been much better.

I look forward to hearing about both your hunts and how your guns perform, Snow Dog.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 78 invisible), 3,193 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,430
Posts18,528,530
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.