Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Gene
Hard to win a pissing contest that is unless you like to piss publicly! You have contributed openly here much information and I for one thank you! Everything comes full circle, either this forum ran out of cash or it does not drive savage prices as it thought.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
GB1

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Originally Posted by ctw
Gene
Hard to win a pissing contest that is unless you like to piss publicly! You have contributed openly here much information and I for one thank you! Everything comes full circle, either this forum ran out of cash or it does not drive savage prices as it thought.

How true. I think that what is particularly sad is that knowing full well that there was no Savage Fest scheduled this year the organizers of this event didn't make this event public to the Forum members and actually make it into the annual Savage Fest. How many more people would have come there? 5 more? Would that have been a big problem? I doubt it. At least the event would not have been percieved as an arrogant clique that wanted their own party and then brag about it.

Unfortunately, this event is just another nail in the coffin of any future Fests. More and more people will now line up on one side or another of a perceived line and this Forum will be the loser for it.

By the way calling people names and cursing at them REALLY makes YOU look like a sad excuse for a human being as well as being wrong.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My invitation musta got lost in the mail................................

Listen with your ears.Or they will make you stupid.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the responses to this, I do appreciate it very much, but I took this on myself - If no one else responds than I will be the only object for anyone to target and that might help the split here to narrow instead of widen. Thanks

The Jerk (formally known as Gene)

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I think all this petty bickering can be put in perspective by going to AL's "CROWMAGNUMS" flood post, just some foolish bickering compared to one loosing everything in a disaster!!!!!! crazy crazy Don

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I think it boils down to we "regulars" here have developed a bond, and a sense of brotherhood. (Kind of neat actually in that it has happened through the use of the internet.) Who amongst us didn't feel a bit of envy of those who were there, and a twinge of jealousy- even though it really was a "perfect storm" of coincidence and last minute planning on their part and not an elitist move. To be left out is a lot like being excluded by one's other 6th grade buddies when they get up to something at recess, and about as inconsequential. The next day at recess it could well be you and your buddies getting up to something and someone else getting left out. It certainly isn't a deal breaker regarding friendships.

As much as I would've enjoyed such a weekend, I doubt I would've spent the air fare+car rental or driven 20 hours to get there, no matter how many cool Savages or steamed lobsters were in the offing. I look forward to the day when I actually meet the guys here, whether it be at a Fest or someones back yard. My envy is based solely on seeing guys who I think of as my friends doing what I like to do- eat, shoot, and talk guns-- not because I wasn't invited. It's the same kind of envy that springs from seeing my buddies heading for the duck blind while I'm laid up for health reasons.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/21/11.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have been gone, to camp getting things ready for the upcomeing bow season, i see one persons still, not happy , well some folks never seen to be happy, sucks to be him! cry

Last edited by saddlering; 09/21/11.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I think it boils down to we "regulars" here have developed a bond, and a sense of brotherhood. (Kind of neat actually in that it has happened through the use of the internet.) Who amongst us didn't feel a bit of envy of those who were there, and a twinge of jealousy- even though it really was a "perfect storm" of coincidence and last minute planning on their part and not an elitist move. To be left out is a lot like being excluded by one's other 6th grade buddies when they get up to something at recess, and about as inconsequential. The next day at recess it could well be you and your buddies getting up to something and someone else getting left out. It certainly isn't a deal breaker regarding friendships.

As much as I would've enjoyed such a weekend, I doubt I would've spent the air fare+car rental or driven 20 hours to get there, no matter how many cool Savages or steamed lobsters were in the offing. I look forward to the day when I actually meet the guys here, whether it be at a Fest or someones back yard. My envy is based solely on seeing guys who I think of as my friends doing what I like to do- eat, shoot, and talk guns-- not because I wasn't invited. It's the same kind of envy that springs from seeing my buddies heading for the duck blind while I'm laid up for health reasons.

SPOT on old chap
Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlering
sucks to be him! cry

Oh� I don�t know, I don�t think it�s all that bad. Maybe I said a lot of things I really shouldn�t but I do at least feel some satisfaction that I finally, for once, said what I felt - even thought many (most?) do not agree! I have been a member here long enough to know exactly what response I would get!!!!!�and you have not disappointed me in the least! I realize I may have hurt some feelings but I felt that some actions by others already were doing exactly the same thing (and it seems many do not agree with me there either). I don�t know if I was right or wrong or in a gray area in between � nobody seems to want to use any facts to really explain much of anything, at least to my satisfaction�and of course there is more mention of the 'group' of which I probably could never fully belong (especially now!!!! eek). I tried to explain the reason for my actions - it seems no matter what I try to say no one can seem to believe it could be for any reason other than jealousy, is this just because things have been the same around here for so long and some attitudes are embedded so deeply that it�s only reason you believe anyone can have for their actions? I have really tried in my time here to add only positive input when I get involved in discussions, maybe (certainly???) this time I didn�t and did just the opposite but I said what I said and nobody has yet offered me anything but insults, name calling and sly remarks in return (which I have also have been guilty of), so I have not yet been given any good reason to change any of my opinions.

Gene
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saddlering...how bout you pour urself a nice hot cup of STFU.
Your startin to rub me the wrong way.

Listen with your ears.Or they will make you stupid.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For me, the big thing that hasn't been addressed is the potential SECURITY issues involved if you have a gathering at your own home and invite others to view what you have, where you have it and the like. If you decide to invite "everyone" here - just who is "everyone"? All the people who have made a handful of posts, lurkers, etc.? Wow - the idea of completely unknown people showing up at my home to see what I have - it makes me shudder. Were it me, I would have done it like Doug did both from a security perspective as well as keeping a handle on how many people it is feasible to have over. As far as the posting after the gathering, it is clear and understandable that the who people attended were highly enthused about what they saw and experienced. I understand why they expressed their exhuberance. I am sure that none of them had an inkling that a few who were not invited would have a sour feeling about it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
All valid points. I even appreciate Gene's candor. If feelings aren't aired amongst friends, they will only fester and multiply to the point where irreparable harm is done, and people go away mad/hurt/pissed off, never to return.

Misconceptions based on incomplete knowledge of facts are deadly in any social setting.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The fests that I've been to have had pre-registration for them and were closed to strangers. So while they were open to all campfire members, it wasn't a wide open event.

And obviously anybody has the right to have whoever they want over to their house.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll second that.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Enough said!

Last edited by saddlering; 09/22/11.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boltman
For me, the big thing that hasn't been addressed is the potential SECURITY issues
This is from one of my posts -

"I have no trouble with Doug having a private gathering including only people he wanted and really would expect nothing else with the collections he has � could anyone even imagine him openly posting on line the fact that his collection was going to be openly displayed and open it to anyone? His open displaying on his table at Tulsa has often surprised me. I have no problem with Doug doing it that way (and would not expect him to do otherwise!)"

Please, read what I have said before responding and if you still think I am a worthless jerk and totally out of line and over reacting, fine (I probably have been in this case). I tried to explain myself some but it seems if I write something no one either reads it, or if they do, they do not believe it! Sorry for continuing this but it still looks likes there are some subtle attempts being made to get another rise out of me - and I could be totally wrong there also.

I guess there is always only one side to anything here and if someone dissagrees their comments are not even considered worth reading - would slow things down once the 'pack' got into attack mode. As I have said before the reason for my response was not because I wasn't invited - If you think that is a lie than please come right out and state it - please do not keep hinting at. I think I have been more than direct with all of you weither you believe what I say or not (but most probabaly didn't even read any of it).

Last edited by GeneB; 09/22/11. Reason: added more worhtless bull sheet
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,354
Posts18,527,058
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.