Print Thread
Hop To
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I am contemplating (actually had planned) getting the receiver of a Ruger #1 color case hardened by Turnbulls outfit. I recently read (on an internet forum, no less) that there is a reasonable chance of the receiver being warped during the process and that the firms that do the service were not responsible for receivers that warped during the process. I will, of course, discuss this with the folks at Turnbulls, before having the work done but, have any of you heard of any cases or known people that have been victims of warped receivers that they have had color case hardened?

GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I believe that Turnbull's has the required jigs necessary to prevent warpage of the receiver while being case colored. He does a lot of Ruger 1's and is selling his own version with case colored rings/rib/receiver on their website. I don't believe you will have any problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder what he charges?

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rj308
I am contemplating (actually had planned) getting the receiver of a Ruger #1 color case hardened by Turnbulls outfit. I recently read (on an internet forum, no less) that there is a reasonable chance of the receiver being warped during the process and that the firms that do the service were not responsible for receivers that warped during the process. I will, of course, discuss this with the folks at Turnbulls, before having the work done but, have any of you heard of any cases or known people that have been victims of warped receivers that they have had color case hardened?

RJ,

There are two basic types of color case hardening. One is heating the parts at high temps with bone and charcoal and then dumping them in a tank of water to quench. While this results in the lovely color patterns it violently temperature shocks the parts and can warp the metal.

The other is to use a Cyanide coloring process. It uses lower temperas but does not produce the rich colors of most bone and Charcoal work.

Every single RELIABLE shop in the US that does Bone and Charcoal case coloring properly blocks up action parts to prevent warpage.

Yes there always is the CHANCE that a Bone and Charcoal color cased, but IMHO it is not a likleyhood.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Is a #1 of a proper steel that is compatible with case colors? The wrong steel may turn to something akin to glass when cased. I've never seen a #1 that was colored and perhaps that is why. Turnbull would know.

Classic Guns in Illinois would be another place to consider.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Turnbull has been doing Rugers for a long time. Both revolver Frames and No 1s-

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=33996

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with jim62. A buddy had one done from Turnbull's and it was beautiful.

I'd let them do one for me ( but they are pricey ).

I think Turnbull's did the .45-70 Cabelas Ruger # 1 ( with case hardened receiver ).

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Gentlemen, thank you for your input. I now feel that Turnbulls work is a pretty afe bet. After it is done, I will post some photo's. Thanks, RJ

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
RJ I have had several done and never had any issues. Doug knows what he is doing and I am sure you will be pleased with the results.

For me it is just like Christmas. You never know how it is going to turn out (every one is different) but you know you will want it.

Well there was that green sweater one year......

good luck and post pics when you get it back.

I just had them do a 77/22 and it was stunning I think (see below)

Dave

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And how does she shoot????
[Linked Image]
That's 10 at 50.....

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Ruger1nut, All I can say is WOW! about the looks of that 77/22 and the group. I think bolt actions also look great CC'd.

IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
They do turn out nice. It is one of the few bolt guns I own.
It is also the only pics I have with me at the moment.

The Number Ones turn out very very nice. I normally do the receiver, lever, rib and rings. On a International the front sling and end cap can be done as well

Dave

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I wonder what he charges?

He charges a couple of junky Rem 700's.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,496
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.