Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5639039 09/21/11
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Hi folks:

Moving into an apartment! Flood damage made the house and garage/shop uninhabitable. First order of business was the
guns. Some are toast I spent 3 days cleaning them. Some are
at a gunsmith's being taken completely apart & I don't know
the prognosis for them yet. Essentially lost eveything in
the house. Homeowners insurance will only reimburse us for the contents of the refrigerator/freezer. Fema assessed the
situation but haven't heard back from them yet. Karen was
rescued from the flooded house by a fire department air boat
and spent time at a church emergency center. Red cross and
many others have been most helpful. 2 Houses up the road burned to the ground - fire dept just watched...couldn't
get trucks close enough to deal with the fire. The little town of Owego looked like it had been bombed, but gradually
getting better. You can't believe the mess! It's amazing the stuff you accumulate over a lifetime. On a good note, nobody died.

My Grandfather used to say that his father told him to look up...things could be worse. He looked up, and sure enough
things got worse. Story reminds me that our situation could
be worse.

GB1

#5639052 09/21/11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to find words, I cant imagine. Glad your all safe.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
#5639056 09/21/11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Prayers Sent for You and your Family in time of need.
Sorry to hear all of this Al.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
#5639062 09/21/11
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Damned Al ,sorry about your whole Mess!!!!! hopefully your guns will be saved, Homeowners insurance surely isn't worth much !!!!!! mad mad I go thru the flood worry every winter when the river down back has ice jams and the water comes close to my building, this year i poured a concrete berm to help keep the water away. hope for the best for you !!! Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Al, I knew there was something BAD to happen. I tried to call, but for some reason or another the calls never went through. If there's anything at all that I can do, please let me know. I can be there in a few hours.

I just tried both numbers again. Now I understand WHY they aren't working. You have my numbers. Please call if you need help, or just to talk.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Al,
As Gary said, it's hard to find words. Please know we are all thinking about you and hoping for only the best.
John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My heart goes out to you and your neighbors.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very positive note: Nobody died.

Stuff is replacable. People aren't.

Good luck and sry to hear.

RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
"If you can bear to see the things you've given your life to broken, and stoop and build them up with worn out tools...." (from IF, by R. Kipling). Hang in there Al, but for God's sake, DON'T LOOK UP! Thoughts and prayers to you and yours. John

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very sorry to hear this, I can't imagine the pain and hassles involved with going through flood, fire or tornado. Most important thing is that nobody got hurt. Hope things get better.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Al, wish I could do something more than say I'm sorry for what you are going through. frown

As a side note, last Sunday I was setting in the kitchen and heard a loud pop that vibrated the floor. Not much later my wife said she smelled gas. The ground had settled enough in this dry weather that the gas line had broke just inside the foundation wall filling the basement. Long story short, all worked out okay but had we not been home our house would have blown up! We would have lost everything. You just never know what will be coming at you next. Sure makes you stop and think.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Best of luck to you and your family in recovering from the flood. Hopefully FEMA and others (gunsmith) will come thru for you!

Bruce
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Al,
I'm probably close enough to help, I'm in Scotia.
Let me know what you need.
461-0609 (cell)
JeffG (Germain)

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Al, hope all will work out for ya been out of town, maybe some of your stuff can be saved!
John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hang in,Al.......glad to read that no one expired.

Listen with your ears.Or they will make you stupid.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am impressed with your ability to keep your perspective. As you say, the good news is that your and your family are OK. Take it one day at a time. There ARE better days ahead.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
#5641232 09/21/11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to hear of your troubles Al but glad to know you and yours came out OK. Hang in there, many are pullin' for you.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
#5641703 09/21/11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry to hear of your misfortune Al. I truly wish there was something I could do. I wish you and yours the best and hope that more turns out salvageable than appears so at the present.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Al, I have been off the forum for a while. I'm sorry for your losses, the hurricane damage has been horrible in many areas. If there is anything that I can do, please PM me.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
Thomas Jefferson- 1816

NRA Endowment Life member
NYSRPA Life member
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Al...don't really know you, except reading a post here or there, but if I can help, please ask.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1lessdog, 160user, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,360
Posts18,527,169
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.