Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#5643058 09/22/11
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Does anybody else find this a harsh little bugger to shoot? I wouldn't want to turn my wife or kids loose with this one. Recoil is actually fairly painful due to the slimness of the frame. What do y'all think? Is the double-stack version better in this respect?

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I did, and found the double-stack easier to shoot from a recoil standpoint, but harder to shoot from the trigger standpoint.

Both are good ideas, but not the best execution of those ideas at all.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The trigger ain't good on this one. I shudder to think what it would be on the wide body if it is worse.

H
H
My P9- gets shot about a box per month. recoil is sharp but manageable especially after I cut a strip of computer pad and a section of bycycle tube. Place pad strip on rear of frame and roll the cut bycycle tube section over grip, instant and cheap felt recoil reducer.
The P-11 is heavier so recoil is less but the extra long trigger pull is not my cup of tea.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for the great idea. I put the tube on a lot of guns but never thought about the pad strip.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had the 11 and the 9. The 11 is too fat and too heavy IMO and the trigger on it is awful. I really liked my PF9, sold it cause I needed the money, wish I had it back. I found the trigger on mine to be pretty good, and the recoil quite manageable but then, I have a 329PD so after that one EVERYTHING seems manageable smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The PF9 is designed for concealment - not all day shooting. An all-day shooter would be a Glock 19 - but it doesn't conceal as well. You might experiment with skateboard tape, (aka non-slip step tape). A small piece here and there will help with grip purchase and make the hold feel more secure.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I put a hogue grip on mine. Helped alot.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Both are good ideas, but not the best execution of those ideas at all.

That is a most apt description of everything Keltec makes, though it is more generous than I would be.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by dla
The PF9 is designed for concealment - not all day shooting. An all-day shooter would be a Glock 19 - but it doesn't conceal as well. You might experiment with skateboard tape, (aka non-slip step tape). A small piece here and there will help with grip purchase and make the hold feel more secure.

Belly up to the bar and spend the money for a Khar. They can be carried AND shot...a lot.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had a couple of both, and personally preffered the Kel Tech. To each his own, but the Kel Tech fit MY XXXL hands better and the Kahr magazine latches are situated or positioned in such a way as to cause my thumb knuckle to strike them on firing, releasing the magazine and making my formerly semi auto pistol a single shot. On my particular PF9, the trigger was much better than that of the Kahr. The pistol was lighter as well.

I wish there was a 9mm or better yet a 40 cal the size and weight of a Ruger LCP. The way the gun engineers ar working things, that day is probably pretty close. Wouldnt care one whit if the thing self destructed after, say, 1,000 rounds. I would shoot it a couple hundred times for practice then into the pocket(s) it would go.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW, the K-T PMR30 is one of the coolest and most awsome new handguns ever brought forward.

If I had to put a bet on it, I would put money on Kel Tech being the ones to make a succesful and reliable 12 ounce ultra mini 9mm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got pretty big mitts and don't find the Kel-Tec uncomfortable to shoot.

I do, however, feel that it's got the absolute worst trigger of ANY gun I ever shot in my life. Makes the LCP seem like it's got a match trigger. crazy

Wouldn't even consider owning a K-T.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My experience with recoil with warm loads from my PF9 is limited, but it seems ok.

Kel-Tec PF9 3.1" barrel
1) 124 gr FN Honady bullets and 10 gr Power Pistol. 1336 fps.
2) 100 gr Hirtenberger +P+ 1275 fps

But my my P11 with almost the same 3.1" barrel, but with wider grip and therefor more area on my palm, hurt something awful when I shoot 158 gr 11 gr Power Pistol, which is a much hotter load. 3 or 4 shots and my hand hurts for hours.

What does it all mean?
1) It depends on the load
2) A man has got to know his limitations.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The PF9 is certainly not the gun to use when introducing a new shooter or arming your recoil-sensitive wife. But I don't find it difficult to shoot within it's expected range of use. It's not a plinking or competition gun, for sure. Not meant for entertainment or as an heirloom either. It's meant to be there when you need it and get the job done. For that - the design works. The trigger on mine isn't quite up to the feel of a Kahr - but it's close enough.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Haven't tried the PF-9, but have a P-40 that I've put 100's of rounds thru. The trigger is admitedly not the best, but it is long...which is for safety reasons, per KT.

However, the P-40 or P-11 trigger action is easily smoothed up by polishing the moving parts and coating them with a little moly grease. Mine is very smooth...still long, but not a distraction anymore.

The latest Guns & Ammo has an article on the new Beretta "Nano" in 9mm. Looks very interesting and supposedly will be available in 40SW. Check it out.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of interesting stuff said here. Thanks for all y'alls opinions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just got a Diamondback DB9 and very happy with it.Small,flat and 7 rounds,I still breaking it in,but it carrys well in a pocket holster,even in jeans.It's set up for any bullet weigh and comes recommened for Hornday XTP's.I have since retired my J frame 5 shot....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 160user, 21, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,855
Posts18,478,502
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.