Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I hear you DF. I have absolutely no idea why they didn't do it because like you said it doesn't take any time at all and it sure does help. The barrel on mine would wiggle around at the forend where the screw is and I know that was the reason for it shooting like crap when I first got it. From what I hear, the winchester model 100 was a pretty time consuming and expensive rifle to build and it ended up being dropped from the market because of this.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My good friend RAS has one and it is an absolute tack driver. I watched him shoot it a couple of weeks ago and it shoots as good as a pre-64 M70. No problem with his Model 100. Thanks...Bill.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think finding one that accurate out of the box was hit and miss. It would seem possible that one could have a solid forearm/barrel fit by chance with good performance. Unfortunately, I don't believe that was the rule.

Those guns are really sleek and have beautiful lines. I agree with bas that the pre-64, cut checkering was much nicer than the stamped checkering. I never did warm up to that. No checkering, like on the carbine would have been better than basket weave stampings.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M 100 Winchester =============> garbage.
The 88 was a POS also.

Listen with your ears.Or they will make you stupid.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Funny, I just noticed this forum... If anyone wants a M-100 in .308, I know where there is a 1st year production, that has been shot less than 10 times, and never hunted with. About as nice as you'll ever find... PM me if interested...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Had one in .308 cal. It was heavy(for me anyway) Didn`t shoot/group all that well. Just didn`t take a liking to it.
Got rid of it. Sold it to my brother.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The only good thing about the 100's is their stocks will fit on the 88's!! grin Don

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mine is very accurate and is not bedded. I can regularly hold everything under an inch. It's a carbine 308

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by r2d2
Had one in .308 cal. It was heavy(for me anyway) Didn`t shoot/group all that well. Just didn`t take a liking to it.

Hey, guess that's what brothers are for. grin

Or kinda like always bear hunting with someone you can outrun.

DF

J
Jericho Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The stocks are the same? Didnt know that.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
You guys are hard on the model 100's!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
John, They are Winchesters most expensive single shot !!!!! crazy crazy grin Don

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Nice....now if they only had the accuracy of a good single we would be in business!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by r2d2

Hey, guess that's what brothers are for. grin

Or kinda like always bear hunting with someone you can outrun.

DF

grin laugh whistle

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by fatjack34
Nice....now if they only had the accuracy of a good single we would be in business!

Mine's pretty accurate. wink

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jericho
I see Winchester M100s in 243 and 308 quite often, condition
range from trashed to mint and they usually sit for a long time
before they sell. I have never saw one in .284, have heard of
some being made in .358 also.

No Model 100's were ever chambered in .358 from the factory - the reason why I had a .243 Carbine bored out to .358" by P.O.Ackley, around 1971.

He hadda take off the gas cylinder to rework the gas port, but that's all it needed besides the rebore.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Rangr - that's pretty darn neat smile

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Why are these so hated????

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The M100 had a bunch of issues found out later after years of use; thin-walled stocks that cracked, action arms 'ears' that would break off or the arms themselves that would detach from their base, accuracy overall wasn't the best and if the owner didn't keep that chamber squeaky clean, extractors would break off trying to extract cases that didn't wanna extract.. Gas pistons would rust in place or become totally fouled and the rifle wouldn't function - again, related to the owners keeping them spotless; even so, the rifle was not the most user-friendly to disassemble and clean. Not to mention the firing pin issue and a trigger group that would, at times, go 'automatic' on ya.. Still a few M100s around but they're getting less and less as parts dry up and hunters go to newer models..

But at least they had magazines that worked, as opposed to the Rem versions.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
The M100 had a bunch of issues found out later after years of use; thin-walled stocks that cracked, action arms 'ears' that would break off or the arms themselves that would detach from their base, accuracy overall wasn't the best and if the owner didn't keep that chamber squeaky clean, extractors would break off trying to extract cases that didn't wanna extract.. Gas pistons would rust in place or become totally fouled and the rifle wouldn't function - again, related to the owners keeping them spotless; even so, the rifle was not the most user-friendly to disassemble and clean. Not to mention the firing pin issue and a trigger group that would, at times, go 'automatic' on ya.. Still a few M100s around but they're getting less and less as parts dry up and hunters go to newer models..

But at least they had magazines that worked, as opposed to the Rem versions.. laugh

I'm keeping my first year model 100 and doubt I'll ever wear it out. I don't shoot it too much and keep it squeeky clean and functioning perfectly.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,333
Posts18,526,732
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.