Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Woo Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I need some help.

I have been struggling with a way to mount my Pentax Pioneer II scope (42mm objective lens) to my trusty Remington 7600 with enough barrel clearance so that I can still use my iron sights if I have to.

I hunt in alaska on the Copper River Delta, and on Hawkins and Hinchinbrook Islands. I usually hunt with iron sights, so I can be ready for quick close action with aggressive brownies, but that means I miss out on longer shots, and plenty of meat.

I want it all!!! Which see through scope rings will allow me to clear the bell on my objective lens and see my iron sights? I've tried a couple and none have worked out.

Any ideas?

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Expect incoming fire. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bless his heart..

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd take up golf given them odds.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have tried real hard and can't see through any scope rings.

I think its a scam, kinda Like them x-ray glasses.

Here, hold my beer and watch this!
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ok, I'll stick my toe in the water.

86 the see-thru rings. Trade the big scope in for a low-power variable, say a 1.5x6 or 2x7. Affix the scope to Weaver or some other QD rings.

Then be sure to hunt with your scope on low power, in anticipation of a quick need. There is always time to crank up the power of a scope, but never time to crank one down....

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Woo - You will not find much support here for the see through rings. Back in the day when I was young and inexperienced I too thought they were a good idea, mostly because my Dad was an open sight guy.

But after a year or two I came to realize they were pretty much a gimmick. I found that a low mounted scope in a low power such as a 1.5x5, 2x7 etc was FAR superior to the see through mount idea for close quick shots. And either of those scopes are good for 300+ yards which is farther than a lot of shooters have any business shooting at game anyway.

To confirm my point simply look at what most experienced hunters use for dangerous game here and across the pond. I would be highly surprised if you found any with the see through mount setup.

NRA Patron Member.
W
Woo Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Eh. I've heard these arguments before. I've hunted with low power scopes and went to iron sights. I can actually shoot pretty well out to 300 yards. We get the drop on deer in high meadows where being able to reach out that far is useful. I'm aware see through rings are taboo, and maybe useless. I'd just like to give it a try. So if anyone has any suggestions on a set of rings that might work let me know.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dawaba
Ok, I'll stick my toe in the water.

86 the see-thru rings. Trade the big scope in for a low-power variable, say a 1.5x6 or 2x7. Affix the scope to Weaver or some other QD rings.

Then be sure to hunt with your scope on low power, in anticipation of a quick need. There is always time to crank up the power of a scope, but never time to crank one down....

Yup, like he said, the 1.5-6 Signature has big amounts of FOV on 1.5x, actually shot a deer 10yds from my stand with a Redfield 1.75-5 set on 1.75X, gobs of FOV. Oh, I hate see thrus.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Might want to try some quick release form of rings and bases for your type of hunting. Just my opinion.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK, first off, as others have said, please-please-please get rid of any concept of using those crap-azz O/U or see-thru rings! Back in the day, say the mid 70's-the 80's, ALL land in Abbeville and McCormick Counties in South Carolina that was not privately held was public hunting land. At that time, I helped run a small gunsmithing shop, only one around fro three counties of any repute. The BIG retailer was still K-mart, and Jap cars were still made in Japan. So all that meant that K-Mart would sell these things by the truckload, and they had two types, on aluminum, and one steel. We absolutely hated these darn things. They were money makers only n the many bubbas that would buy them and then bring the gun in or the scope in for work because they would not sight in proper, or something similar. But of course, digress, as I am apt to do.

In a nutshell. When you are trying to use the sights,you really cannot see enough of the sights to really be any faster on the target, and when on scope, your head is too far off the stock to make a quick or decent shot.

Try going with quick-detach rings/bases, or try to find the Pachmayr Low-Swing type scope mount

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
With a set of steel bases, I've found the Warne QR rings to mount/dismount with very good zero hold.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Woo
So if anyone has any suggestions on a set of rings that might work let me know.

Yep, talley bases, split rings and a VXII 1-4x20..

Forget the see-throughs.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Seriously, please read this.. You are on the right track, and follow your instincts.

Originally Posted by Woo
I'm aware see through rings are taboo, and maybe useless.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Big Stick?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're probably right.. I've gotten hooked so many times my mouth hurts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My vote would be it's not.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
When I bought my 760 I got a $30 3x9 Bushnell Sportview scope because it's all I could afford. I used see through rings with it. I never used the iron sights so I ditched the rings when I "moved up" to a Tasco World Class 2x7. Either get a scope you trust or use the sights is my recommendation. You could get quick release rings if it makes you feel better.

BTW, tell Larry I said hi! wink

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Holden Ironsighters > Talleys laugh

W
Woo Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I appreciate the advice I've received, but seriously, just looking for some see through rings that I can use with my scope. I am no greenhorn. I use a nice Burris shotgun scope for what is being suggested. I'm seriously not looking for alternatives. I know these types of rings aren't popular with most but I want to try this setup out for myself, so if anyone knows a set of rings that will work please let me know. It's very difficult for me to shop for this stuff, my home is remote. I get to town a couple times a year. I just tried some Simmons rings that said they were good to 50mm objective and they didn't work.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,074
Posts18,482,669
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.