Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
OK I spent too much money on the gun, scope, and rangefinder. I've been wanting a spotting scope for sometime now. I want to start researching what I need to be looking at. I'll be using it for hunting. I'm wanting something that will be the best value for my money.

Plus how useful have you found your spotting scopes? Do you find yourself using them quite often?

Thanks!

"Whack 'em, stack 'em and pack 'em."
Ted Nugent, rock star.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
msummer88,

It sounds like it's too late to do what I have done, but I can perhaps liven up your thread.

How much are you spending on a rifle scope and a spoting scope?

Some here say I have a rifle mounted spotting scope. Sounds good to me. I sure don't have to carry a spotting scope for hunting in Orgon. Last year my rifle sported a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 ($620). Since I discovered the Swaorvski z5 is a few ounces lighter I switched the 6500 to a varmint rifle and this year the hunting rifle will have a z5 5-25X52. It is even better in low light than the 6500.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Rifle scope was $420 and the range finder was $415.

The two spotting scopes I had in mind was the Redfield Rampage and the Vortex Nomad.

I've had good experiences with the Redfield products. I got my dad some binoculars last fathers day and I was very impressed with the glass on those.

Ted Nugent, rock star.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by msummer88
OK I spent too much money on the gun, scope, and rangefinder. I've been wanting a spotting scope for sometime now. I want to start researching what I need to be looking at. I'll be using it for hunting. I'm wanting something that will be the best value for my money.

Plus how useful have you found your spotting scopes? Do you find yourself using them quite often?

Thanks!

Easy. Watch on EBay or elsewhere for a used B&L Elite 15x45x60 spotter. Mine has been packed into nearly every mountain range in North America. Be sure to match the scope up with a compact tripod and you'll be taking it with you on most all your western hunts.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
That's an easy one: call Doug.

And thank me later.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
In that price range I would strongly suggest the Theron Optics Saker. Relatively light at 40 ounces plus it utilizes ED glass in the objectives. The optical performance is excellent betters anything up to the $500 price class (Celestron Regal F-ED being its only optical competition but then the Celestron is heavier).

It was selling in the $225-$250 price range. I would strongly suggest giving one a try. Do a little google search on it and see some of the comments on various forums surrounding it.

google search-theron saker

Last edited by FrankD; 09/26/11.

Frank
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Consider switch power binoculars for hunting instead of having to carry a spotting scope.

Binoculars that can switch their power are useful for seeing "what is it?".

Our Mule Deer reccomends them also.

Switch power binoculars, link.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Consider switch power binoculars for hunting instead of having to carry a spotting scope.

That's absolutely laughable. To even be able to use a 17x bino you need a tripod. Even then, the 17x42 view is pretty poor.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Savage_99

That's absolutely laughable. To even be able to use a 17x bino you need a tripod. Even then, the 17x42 view is pretty poor.

Thank you. I didn't have the heart. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by dawaba

Thanks!

Easy. Watch on EBay or elsewhere for a used B&L Elite 15x45x60 spotter. Mine has been packed into nearly every mountain range in North America. Be sure to match the scope up with a compact tripod and you'll be taking it with you on most all your western hunts.

SWFA has on of these on their SampleList for $299.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
To even be able to use a 17x bino you need a tripod. Even then, the 17x42 view is pretty poor.

The binocs I use are variable from 7-15X. I can verify the above statement. when I turn them up to above maybe 12X, I do it fro a moment only and have to lean against a tree or rock or something.

Since I can test this very quickly, I have proven that turning up the magnification without a rest is a waist of time. The magnification of binocular movement becomes too much to overcome to see the vry detail you wants to see.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I don't think I like the idea of the binoculars for that one reason JG! Plus I'd like to leave my spotter with someone and take my bino's while I put a stock on the deer/elk.

I'm located in Utah and most of the areas I hunt I would want a spotting scope.

Ted Nugent, rock star.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Consider that each person's eyes vary. What I can see well with may not suit you.

Since you laugh at what I like may I ask if you have used dual power binoculars?

I have them and prefer them. To each his own.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I've heard of people using them. But I've never really heard anyone say that is the best way to go. Unless I had a tripod or a really steady rest I would probably never really zoom in on anything.

Ted Nugent, rock star.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Thanks!

I have not found spotting scopes to be as useful as I "knew" they'd be before I bought one. Now that I have two, I leave them home. I lug one around some pre-season scouting, but not when I'm hunting. The one which is optically best is the one I carry the least. I suppose it's like trying heavier and heavier calibers 'til you find one that's more but not more useful, then you have the experience to know what's the most useful notch FOR YOU (thus not something you can learn from others experiences) to back down to. I like the optics of my 12-40 Leupold HD, but for sheer usefulness I have fallen in love with their 10-20X gold ring compact. I'm not sure, though, that it does anything for me a pair of TOP NOTCH 10X binocs won't do, at least, not in the field. At the range is a different story.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FrankD
In that price range I would strongly suggest the Theron Optics Saker. Relatively light at 40 ounces plus it utilizes ED glass in the objectives. The optical performance is excellent betters anything up to the $500 price class (Celestron Regal F-ED being its only optical competition but then the Celestron is heavier).

It was selling in the $225-$250 price range. I would strongly suggest giving one a try. Do a little google search on it and see some of the comments on various forums surrounding it.

google search-theron saker
I second this suggestion! IMO, the Saker is a whole lot for the price.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Who needs a spotting scope? A Ringman stated, just use your riflescope and kill two birds with one stone. Problem solved.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[/quote]
I have not found spotting scopes to be as useful as I "knew" they'd be before I bought one. Now that I have two, I leave them home. I lug one around some pre-season scouting, but not when I'm hunting. The one which is optically best is the one I carry the least. I suppose it's like trying heavier and heavier calibers 'til you find one that's more but not more useful, then you have the experience to know what's the most useful notch FOR YOU (thus not something you can learn from others experiences) to back down to. I like the optics of my 12-40 Leupold HD, but for sheer usefulness I have fallen in love with their 10-20X gold ring compact. I'm not sure, though, that it does anything for me a pair of TOP NOTCH 10X binocs won't do, at least, not in the field. At the range is a different story.

Tom [/quote]

Thanks for the info. I guess I should be a little more specific on what I'll be using it for. I'm just starting to get into long range shooting and I know I would need one for that. But as for hunting I wanted to know how useful they've been for guys. I can think of a couple of instances where I could have used one. But I just bought an ATV so I can now get into some higher country. A spotting scope wouldn't have been necessary for the land I hunted on before but now the terrain I'll be hunting on is more wide open.

Ted Nugent, rock star.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I wish I could speak to that aspect of spotting scope usage but, truthfully, I just don't use one for hunting. The type of environment that I hunt and the type of hunting that I do does not warrant one. I do use one for scouting purposes prior to the season and on Sundays but I cannot remember a time that I actually took one into the woods with me during the season.

Still, if you are going to go that route then I would suggest sticking with a 50-65 mm spotter to keep the length and weight to a minimum. You have enough gear to carry besides that. wink

Frank
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I can't begin to count the miles my spotter has saved me from walking. I guess it depends on the terrain you'll be hunting, but for the more open stuff I can't imagine hunting without one.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 3,369 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,740
Posts18,535,381
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.