Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by FrankD
In that price range I would strongly suggest the Theron Optics Saker. Relatively light at 40 ounces plus it utilizes ED glass in the objectives. The optical performance is excellent betters anything up to the $500 price class (Celestron Regal F-ED being its only optical competition but then the Celestron is heavier).

It was selling in the $225-$250 price range. I would strongly suggest giving one a try. Do a little google search on it and see some of the comments on various forums surrounding it.

google search-theron saker
I second this suggestion! IMO, the Saker is a whole lot for the price.

They're sold out with no expectation of replenishment. I'm guessing a used one would be hard to find, but for the right price, we can talk. grin

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd have you consider finding one of the older Leupold spotters. They made them in 20, 25 and 30. 30 wouldn't be my first choice but it'd be allright.

The 20 is the one I've toted all over and still totally luv it. I've had it a couple decades or more and it's still a rock star for me.

Bottom line, if you could find a 20 or 25 I'd be all over it!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never looked through a $200-$300 spotting scope that was worth packing hunting. I've had plenty of them, but they usually ended up in my range bag. If you are going to buy a spotter for hunting, I think you are better off to save up and get something you can actually see through. There are lots of good used ones around $1000 (Leica comes to mind). I run a 80mm Swaro HD and even though it's big, I tote it everywhere when muley hunting.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Who needs a spotting scope? A Ringman stated, just use your riflescope and kill two birds with one stone. Problem solved.

With one in the chamber of course.

As long as the safety is on everyone is good!

Problem solved!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Killertraylor
I've never looked through a $200-$300 spotting scope that was worth packing hunting. I've had plenty of them, but they usually ended up in my range bag. If you are going to buy a spotter for hunting, I think you are better off to save up and get something you can actually see through. There are lots of good used ones around $1000 (Leica comes to mind). I run a 80mm Swaro HD and even though it's big, I tote it everywhere when muley hunting.

Good, solid advice here IMO. Moreso with spotters than binos, riflescopes, etc....you really get what you pay for in spotters. Outstanding views come at a price.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn

If I'm going to spend stupid amounts of money its not going to be on a spotting scope.

"Whack 'em, stack 'em and pack 'em."
Ted Nugent, rock star.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
How much is a stupid amount of money, to whom, and why?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is one of the posts by Mule Deer about switch power binoculars.

"Hate to drop another name, though, but I still haven't seen anything better than my 8+12 Leica Duovids for an all-around hunting binocular. Some might not like the weight, though at 32 ounces they aren't bad, and it helps keep them steady. But being able to go from 8x (wide field) to 12x (50% more power) in a few seconds is a great help, often bypassing the need to get out the spotting scope that is always along. The optics are still as good as they get, even though I got them the first year they were available. And yes, I have recent Swarovski and Zeiss binoculars as well.

Mule Deer on switch power binoculars

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
msummer88,

If I'm going to spend stupid amounts of money its not going to be on a spotting scope.

Tell us on what you would spend a stupid amount of money? By the way, what is a stupid amount of money?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't think anyone should spend more on a spotting scope than they would on a used truck. well not much more anyway,

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I haven't seen them all, but my experience with cheap spotters, 200-300 bucks, is BAD. They are crap! The one's I have looked thru were horrible, and talk about eye strain. With that said, I have heard that the Minox MD50 is pretty decent, but I have never handled one. I am in the market for my first good spotter, I am going with a Nikon 13-30x50ED or a Swarovski 65MM non-HD. I'd stay away from the cheap one's, good glass costs big bucks, and worth every penny once past the sticker shock.

Brent

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Here is one of the posts by Mule Deer about switch power binoculars.

"Hate to drop another name, though, but I still haven't seen anything better than my 8+12 Leica Duovids for an all-around hunting binocular. Some might not like the weight, though at 32 ounces they aren't bad, and it helps keep them steady. But being able to go from 8x (wide field) to 12x (50% more power) in a few seconds is a great help, often bypassing the need to get out the spotting scope that is always along. The optics are still as good as they get, even though I got them the first year they were available. And yes, I have recent Swarovski and Zeiss binoculars as well.

Mule Deer on switch power binoculars

He's referring to the Leica Duovid which is the only zoom bino worth owning. This has nothing to do with the Leupold Switchpower, which is what you were referring to, which is a total POS.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JG Raider,

What is your specific experience with the Leupold Switch Power binoculars? Have you owned a pair?

Thanks

cool

Golden Ring 7/12x32mm with Switch/Power Technology

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have already answered this question for you at least twice, but here goes. My neighbor had a pair of the 10/17x42's. I had a 10x42 GR HD at that time also along with a couple of others. At 10x, the HD's view is fantastic, bright, contrasty, and sharp. It is right there with the Swaro SLC neu. The colors just jump out at me. The SP's view through the 10x is very average at best. It does work, and would work for general big game hunting I'll concede that, but it wasn't nearly on par with the GR HD, not by a long shot It was not nearly as bright or sharp. At 17x they were useless, as you have to have a tripod or a very, very steady rest. It is impossible to hand hold a 17x bino steady for any length of time. The view was very dim to dark, poor resolution, and, as I said, useless. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that the view through a 10x32, and 17x32 SP would be worse on all accounts. You can't cheat physics. The duovid is in a whole other league....top shelf.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by FrankD
In that price range I would strongly suggest the Theron Optics Saker. Relatively light at 40 ounces plus it utilizes ED glass in the objectives. The optical performance is excellent betters anything up to the $500 price class (Celestron Regal F-ED being its only optical competition but then the Celestron is heavier).

It was selling in the $225-$250 price range. I would strongly suggest giving one a try. Do a little google search on it and see some of the comments on various forums surrounding it.

google search-theron saker
I second this suggestion! IMO, the Saker is a whole lot for the price.

They're sold out with no expectation of replenishment. I'm guessing a used one would be hard to find, but for the right price, we can talk. grin
Nice try! laugh But, I'm broke enough that I have to ask the wife if free is too expensive. wink Hopefully, once I quit/slow down in buying tags and have enough $$ for a spotter the boat will have brought a new shipment of them, or their upgrade in...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by msummer88

Probably because you blew it on smokes, beer and a new transmission for your El Camino. If you want to spend chump change on a spotter, be my guest. You'll regret it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ouch. Agreed. But ouch. smile smile

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I once owned a Simmons spotter, think I paid $150 for it, a long time ago. Biggest POS I have ever seen. A cardboard tube with no glass in it would have been far better. And talk about a headache after some time looking thru it, wow! Had I kept it, I am sure I would be blind in my right eye now. My thoughts used to be that if one is not a trophy hunter, one does not need a spotting scope. Well, I still believe there is some truth there, but I am moving towards the thought that a really good spotting scope would serve me well while scouting, and finding more game while hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by msummer88

Probably because you blew it on smokes, beer and a new transmission for your El Camino. If you want to spend chump change on a spotter, be my guest. You'll regret it.

That's funny ....

One of the best pieces of advice I ever read here in 24HCF .... No one ever loooked through good binoculars and asked what all the fuss is about. .... perhaps not word for word but close ... Even nearly 10 years ago, Big Stick was quite the wordsmith.

Last edited by avagadro; 09/27/11. Reason: cuz I'm stoopid ...

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brent13
I haven't seen them all, but my experience with cheap spotters, 200-300 bucks, is BAD. They are crap! The one's I have looked thru were horrible, and talk about eye strain. With that said, I have heard that the Minox MD50 is pretty decent, but I have never handled one. I am in the market for my first good spotter, I am going with a Nikon 13-30x50ED or a Swarovski 65MM non-HD. I'd stay away from the cheap one's, good glass costs big bucks, and worth every penny once past the sticker shock.

Brent

I paid $180 for the minox MD50 from cameraland. Was shooting 300 yards today and could spot my 270 holes. Don't know if thats a good judge of a decent spotter (or just that it doesnt suck), but it works for me. And is awesome for packing with a light tripod, its sooooo small...

Sean
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 45 invisible), 3,547 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,719
Posts18,534,975
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.