Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I don't hunt alone, since the one time I tried I got lost and had to have the cops come get me. laugh

Take some string, a short piece and a really really long piece, some chalk and some bread crumbs.

Tie the short piece of string to your wrist and the other end to your buddies buddy, so you don't get lost again.
Tie the end of the long piece to the truck and roll it out as you go so you can find your way back.
Mark all the trees with chalk as you go too just in case the string breaks, and drop bread crumbs behind you as well so you can follow them back to the truck if it rains and the chalk marks wash off.

The original international turd
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by maarty
I don't hunt alone, since the one time I tried I got lost and had to have the cops come get me. laugh

Take some string, a short piece and a really really long piece, some chalk and some bread crumbs.

Tie the short piece of string to your wrist and the other end to your buddies buddy, so you don't get lost again.
Tie the end of the long piece to the truck and roll it out as you go so you can find your way back.
Mark all the trees with chalk as you go too just in case the string breaks, and drop bread crumbs behind you as well so you can follow them back to the truck if it rains and the chalk marks wash off.
laugh Are you sure the birds won't eat up the bread crumbs?

PS Just call me Hansel. wink

PPS I actually bought a Garmin GPS after that experience getting lost. They've advanced quite a bit since then, but it still works fine, allowing you to leave a waypoint trail back to camp. Of course, it's technology, and technology can fail. Also, though, my Droid smart phone has a GPS ap, for a back up. I'll bring a compass, too, although I had one of those when I got lost and somehow got turned around anyway.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Is this a parody?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Where would I get a top. map of unit 4?

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Is this a parody?
laugh Just a guy who's more of a lifelong gun enthusiast than a woodsman/hunter who's looking forward to a chance to get out in the woods after some elk in Idaho with an old buddy I haven't seen in a couple of years. It looks like this place is mainly for highly experienced big game hunters, though, since I'm getting a lot of pissing contest invitations over here. You'd think you folks would realize that the more of us that get involved in hunting, the less vulnerable we'd be to liberals passing laws restricting it, i.e., you'd think that you'd actually encourage someone getting involved rather than try to discourage it, but maybe that's just me.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We're just smart enough to see no value whatsoever in your participation, except for the obvious humor of your everyday derangement.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There are no elk in Unit 4.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

There are no elk in Unit 4.
Maybe I should get a mule deer tag instead of an elk tag. Hard to believe that this guy has it wrong, though, since he's been elk hunting there for years.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
From here: IDAHO Fish & Game Maps . As late as it is, though, it might be hard to get in time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Is this a parody?
laugh Just a guy who's more of a lifelong gun enthusiast than a woodsman/hunter who's looking forward to a chance to get out in the woods after some elk in Idaho with an old buddy I haven't seen in a couple of years.

Sounds good. So what's the question. Just go do it, and try not to make it more complicated than it is. Men have been doing it since there were men. It ain't rocket science, and you don't need 2 GPS's and a compass to do it.

You'd think you folks would realize that the more of us that get involved in hunting, the less vulnerable we'd be to liberals passing laws restricting it, i.e., you'd think that you'd actually encourage someone getting involved rather than try to discourage it, but maybe that's just me.

I do encourage new people to get into the sport, especially youngsters. In fact, I volunteer my time (which is what I have the least of) to teach hunter education, five classes a summer and I've helped a few hundred new hunters get their cards and licenses.

What you're doing (here at least) is not hunting, it's BS-ing on the internet, being an attention whore. And talking about getting lost and having the cops come get you leans toward parody in my book, but if it's actually true, it's a sad reflection on you and the rest of us by extension, as hunters. You need to get yourself to the point where you're self-reliant, take responsibility for your actions, and not depend on "the cops" to come rescue you when you get your ass in a crack.

That sort of sh** makes us all look bad.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Is this a parody?
laugh Just a guy who's more of a lifelong gun enthusiast than a woodsman/hunter who's looking forward to a chance to get out in the woods after some elk in Idaho with an old buddy I haven't seen in a couple of years.

Sounds good. So what's the question. Just go do it, and try not to make it more complicated than it is. Men have been doing it since there were men. It ain't rocket science, and you don't need 2 GPS's and a compass to do it.

You'd think you folks would realize that the more of us that get involved in hunting, the less vulnerable we'd be to liberals passing laws restricting it, i.e., you'd think that you'd actually encourage someone getting involved rather than try to discourage it, but maybe that's just me.

I do encourage new people to get into the sport, especially youngsters. In fact, I volunteer my time (which is what I have the least of) to teach hunter education, five classes a summer and I've helped a few hundred new hunters get their cards and licenses.

What you're doing (here at least) is not hunting, it's BS-ing on the internet, being an attention whore. And talking about getting lost and having the cops come get you leans toward parody in my book, but if it's actually true, it's a sad reflection on you and the rest of us by extension, as hunters. You need to get yourself to the point where you're self-reliant, take responsibility for your actions, and not depend on "the cops" to come rescue you when you get your ass in a crack.

Would you really expect anything different from this dipchit?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Seems like we have a consensus of opinion here. TRH wants the cops to bail him out of a bad situation....when he's not bashing them....and/or obsessinmg about carrying a sidearm for grizzlies when he has a rifle in his hands.....

Time to get out the spoon, frozen OJ, and shave my junk....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
From here: IDAHO Fish & Game Maps . As late as it is, though, it might be hard to get in time.
Thanks. I'll see if my friend over there can send me a copy he might be able to get a hold of.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
You need to get yourself to the point where you're self-reliant, take responsibility for your actions, and not depend on "the cops" to come rescue you when you get your ass in a crack.

You may have misunderstood. I didn't call the cops. I was all tucked in for an overnight when I heard the cops shouting my name, then saw their flashlights. The folks who owned the mountain called the cops when I didn't turn up. No cell phone with me at that time, or I would have told them I was spending the night on the mountain and would see them in the morning. I'd been a bushcraft enthusiast for years prior, and was actually enjoying putting some of it to practice. Other than the worry I caused those nice folks, I wasn't much worried about myself, and felt very badly that the cops were forced to come out there.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You may have misunderstood. I didn't call the cops. I was all tucked in for an overnight when I heard the cops shouting my name, then saw their flashlights.

Oh, I see. Is this the part I misunderstood, the part where you said you had to have the cops come get you?

I don't hunt alone, since the one time I tried I got lost and had to have the cops come get me.

Keep digging.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I had no phone (not sure it would have worked up there if I did), but wouldn't have bothered them even if I had one. I night on a Vermont mountain isn't generally lethal to someone dressed appropriately. I was actually enjoying the adventure of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't realize how inexperienced you were as a hunter. Maybe you should wait until next year when you can better plan the whole operation and spend more time afield.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
You got lost in Vermont on private land?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
the brush in that unit is hella thick. be careful flatlander

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For someone who doesn't hunt a lot you sure have some nice hunting rifles. Best of luck!

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (22kHornet, 25aught6, 222ND, 10Glocks, 160user, 257Bob, 65 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,379
Posts18,527,486
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.