Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Okay, I�ll get right to the good stuff first.<P>The winner of the 2001 Poatal Match, �Charging Targets�, is:<P>Bill in NE! Yaaayyyyyy!!!! Bill�s total divergence from center was 6.41�. He shot a .30-06 (of course!)<BR>Olefish was second with a total divergence of 9.013�, shooting a .25-06.<BR>Spike came in third with 11.458�, shooting a .35 Whelen.<BR>4th, 5th and 6th places in order go to Darrell S., Zedman and Eric in OR respectively, shooting a .357 Model 94, a .470 Nitro Express (ouch!) and a .357 Magnum Taurus revolver. <BR>Hmmm, all three winners were shooting a cartridge based on the .30-06 case. Think there is a connection there? Also it is worth noting that Eric in OR had the only handgun entry.<P>Now the really good part � PRIZES!<BR>Allen in Alaska has outdone his previous generosity and has donated a Marlin 1895G .45-70 Guide Gun as first prize! Congratulations, Bill in NE. I will email you and Allen so you can get together and discuss the transfer arrangements. <P>Olefish wins a Marble�s Plainsman knife with cocobolo handle, donated by yours truly. This is a really nice 4 1/4 belt knife with a carbon steel blade. You can see what it looks like by going to <A HREF="http://www.marblearms.com" TARGET=_blank>www.marblearms.com</A> and following the knife links.<P>Spike wins a Marble�s Mini-caper knife with cocobolo wood handle, also donated by myself. This is a neat little knife with a small drop point shape. It also makes a handy belt knife. I will be mailing these knives out in the next couple of days to the respective winners.<P>Darrell, Zedman and Eric each will receive a boxed set of George Strait CD�s donated by PhilNash. A big thank you to Phil for those. I will email each of you to get in touch and arrange for shipment.<P>Mr. and Mrs. Newguy donated a $25 gift certificate from Midway and asked that it be given as a random prize. I put the names of the all those who had not previously won a prize in a hat and my wife drew out the name of: <BR>Talus! <BR>That gift certificate will also be mailed in the next day or two.<P>Now, in all contests someone has to come in last. That person is:<BR>BMG!<BR>Not to be too harsh, he was shooting a 416 Rigby so his heart was in the right place. To BMG we award a brand new Nosler reloading manual! Perhaps he can make use of it to find some good loads. [Linked Image]<BR>This manual was donated by memtb's wife, who had the 'honor' of winning it last year. It was her express hope that this manual be passed to each last place winner in turn. It was also her fervent wish that it not be returned to her!<BR>I would like to thank all who entered. I hope you had a good time shooting this course and I know it opened a few eyes. It sure opened mine.<P>Also, I want to thank everybody for their honesty. This may seem unnecessary, but it bears mention. Not one single set of targets was received whose validity could be questioned in any way. This speaks mighty well of everybody.<P>Once again, thanks to all who participated and especially thanks for the prize donations.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Jim in Idaho (edited April 11, 2001).]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Jim,<P>while I didnt participate in this one or the last, (didnt want to embarrass myself) i just want to say thanks for giving your time to this board! <P>Especially when you had to beg for the entries, and then do all the scoring. Great job, once again it is the memebers that really make a board work (in addition to a good moderator, Rick). <P>All those that contributed prizes, your generosity is truy amazing. To donate such valuable gifts to those that you may or may not have ever met. Thanks to you as well. <P>Congradulations to all those that won, even BMG as he at least sent in an entry!<P>Good day all<P>MC

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
All I can say is congtrats guys, thanks to all the organizers and somebody please make sure I know ho to enter the next one! Mike (mssgnhotmail.com)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim,<P>I want to thank you for taking the time to hold this event. I plan on shooting my .416 Howell in the next contest (whatever it is).<P>Thanks,<P>Greg<P>

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
All I've got to say is I don't want any of you shooters backing me up on a Lion or Bear hunt. If I won a prize with my ****poor ability I'd hate to see what you guys did. [Linked Image]<P><BR>Thanks Jim, you've gone beyond the call of duty.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Almost forgot. Due to the extension of the match deadline requested by someone who shall remain nameless, but whose initials are RICK BIN, there have been some changes in the Poatal Match Award Banquet.<P>The royal family could not re-schedule the palace in Monaco, so the banquet has been moved to the Dairy Queen at Exit 321 on Interstate 80 in Indiana. <P>Charlton Heston sends his regrets as he could not re-schedule either, so instead I found a guy whose cousin�s ex-girlfriend�s father once shook hands with Elmer Keith at an NRA meeting. He will entertain us with true tales of Elmer�s life and times. <P>The champagne got lost in shipment back from France so instead everyone will get a coupon good for one free Blizzard ice cream treat (small size).<P>The Cuban cigars were impounded, so those who wish to smoke may share a half pack of Pall Malls left over from an old C-ration accessory packet.<P>The kobe beef from Japan got infected with hoof and mouth and was shot and burned at the Customs inspection point.<P>The shipment of Napolean brandy got mixed up with a case of Bud Lite by FedEx, but what the hell, we�ll pour in some apricot extract and serve it in big snifters and you can pretend.<P>And finally, the Official Award Presentation Virgins are, well, how shall I say this, not exactly official anymore. I TOLD y�all they were impatient!<BR>

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jim, you're a nut!!!!<P>Man, I love this place, no where else even remotely like it. Always good for a laugh or two.<P>Do I dare ask who took away the "official" status from the lovely award girls?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had THAT coming!<P>Meant to get to the range. PLANNED to get to the range. SCHEDULED to get to the range. WANTED to get to the range. SWORE I'd get to the range...<P>Didn't get to the range! [Linked Image]<P>I'll slink away now!<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Thank you Jim for all your hard work. Now if I would have entered my 300 win targets in stead, but that was the second gun used. This was the most chalanging thin I ever tried. I polished my bolt and used rem case lube to make it very fast. I had no sticking at all. I tried this with my savage striker (308) and was only able to complete 3 shots in 10 sec one time. I only had 1 hit at 30, 2 at 20 and 3 at 10. It would be fun to try with a 742 rem with open sights.<BR>I think a party would be great, maybe we can toast each other from our homes at a given time. My glass is raised to you and all the others that tried. olefish

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Rick, that's okay. We still love ya, man!<P>Besides, who else are we gonna tease without getting kicked off of their board? [Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jim, Thanks to you for all of your efforts and for donating prizes. Thanks to Allen in Alaska for his extreme generosity. I was the wittness for Bill in NE, and I just want to say that he was calm and cool the whole time. I on the other hand felt like I was rushing, ..... and I was. [Linked Image] Anyhow it was fun, and I am looking forward to whatever type of "Potal" match we have in the future. Oh and by the way, have a good trip to Africa. I hope you will tell us all about it when you get back. Mark.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Spike, don't tell my wife, but I started out donating five box sets. Those girls just LOVE Country music, it was the cowboy thing to do. I gave them Tex's phone #, the two box sets and sent them on their way in pristine condition. After that, I don't know what happened... [Linked Image]! <P>------------------<BR>Shoot straight and often!

Shoot straight and often!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There must be some mistake, surely you received my entry. I left it on the bedside table for one of the Official Award Presentation Virgins to hand deliver. My compliments on your staff selection. I can only hope that Monica can make it again next year. And those weren't Cuban cigars, it was an El Producto.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I,m about finished shaking enough ti try to type out a BIG thank you to Jim, and Allen. Allen, that's incredible. You must be a retired hog farmer to be able to donate like that, as a hog farmer who is still in the business would have a heck of a time doing that. Jim, thank you for ramrodding this affair. your donated time must have been very substantial. It is very much appreciated. I must say that I really do enjoy these shooting matches. I don't know how to say thanks. If ol' Tex can put together that summer exotic hunt in Texas next year, I would be tickled to supply the pork to have a good old bar-b-q and buy the first and second rounds. I had a blast shooting the course, practiced with 375HH first, then to 416 Rigby Ruger #1. Shot a lot. Finally had Mark come down and chose 30-06 for record. Mark is right, more practice is a good thing! That's why I like to shoot in these matches, it can't help but make a person a better shot. Bill<BR>

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick Bin, you're not the only one who is slinking. I chimed in for an extension as well and still didn't get it done. Congratulations to all the winners as everyone who participated is in that category. Kudos to Jim for putting together a great competition. And a tip of the hat to those who donated some fabulous prizes. Good luck, Troy.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hey! I won something! cool! First shooting match I have ever been in and won something, anything! What a pleasant surprise!<P>Thanks to all who made this happen.<P>Hey doesn't the winner of this match have to loan the top 5 winners the prize for a week or two? [Linked Image]<P>Seriously, who makes up the next match?

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's true: even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while. I get a Midway gift cert. and didn't even place in the top 6!<P>This was a lot of fun, and great shooting practice. I am indebted to both Jim and the prize donors, as well as to the others who were able to shoot this one.<P>What made it even more special to me was the fact that my youngest son acted as my timer and rangemaster. We shot the match in the wind and rain on the last weekend, so thanks to Rick for getting the deadline extended!<P>Congratulations to all, Talus

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jim;<BR> I'd like to thank you for your efforts that you put into this. I'am sure it was a considerable effort. And, thanks to all who donated prizes.<BR> It was a lot of fun practicing. However, the real thing was different. Should'a sent in some of my practice targets. Was doing fair until last series,and threw one out. There was a colorful use of the English language used!!<BR> Again, Thanks Jim and Congrat's to the winners!!-memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Congratulations to the winners and a big thanks to Jim. If Kimani, my gun bearer, hadn't bumped me while attempting to hide I would have had all shots on the target and placed higher. (Just wanted to get the first excuse in.) curmudgeon

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Jim the Knife came in and it is sooooooooooo nice. It is the best knife I have ever own. Thank you again olefish

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,224 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,107
Posts18,502,243
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.