Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Old_Writer
In 1989 FBI Special Agent Urey W. Patrick (of the FBI Firearms Training Unit at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia) published a paper entitled "Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness" (available on line via Google) clearly explaining the mechanics of wounding, and what works best to incapacitate an assailant.

Rather than being seduced by on-line charts that are less than accurate, I'd suggest you review Special Agent Patrick's report before making a final decision.

After reading that report, I'm inclined to use hot FMJ loads in all my guns from now on.....

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Nothing is a 100% guarantee. All handguns are marginal manstoppers.

Ammo has come a ways since 1989.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR
Did research last night on stopping power info, and what I found is that the best of 9mm ammo getting 90% stops which is on par w/45s and 40s, etc.

Do you REALLY think if you shot a guy one time, that you stand a 90% chance of him ending all hostility right there? Thos statistics are HUGELY flawed, and downright dangerous. Take it from someone who has treated countless gun shot victims, the vast majority of them who have been shot only once have a LOT of fight left in them. Most who are �stopped� are that way because they have been shot multiple times; and I don�t mean 2�I�m talking 6 or 7. Handguns are horribly under-powered, and those so called �one shot stop� statistics are the worst example of �science� ever perpetrated on the shooting public.

Come on, if you can center-punch a deer with a .44 mag and still have to track it 65 yards; do you really think a guy hit with a 9mm or .45 ACP is going to drop in his tracks?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The standard rule and statistic I have learned and used is this....80% of those shot with a handgun survive. That is a hard fact. The other side of that coin is that 80% of those who are shot with a shotgun (we are talking defensive situations here not a hunting incedent with politicians) 80% die. Now we are talking deaths here not stops...two very differnt things...I have seen some guys get a weak 22 in the thigh and thats it..fights over....I have seen a gun take 8 hits with a 9mm (out of an MP-5) and he was still coming...it took a head shot with a .45acp to end the fight and his life.....shot placement is everything and training, training and more training...then even more training is what will make the differnce between you surviving and not....the handgun is only a bullet delivery device..nothing more nothing less.....your the one who needs to get it to the right address..without that skill you can come out in 2nd Place.....not where you want to be

Last edited by JamesDunn; 09/26/11.

James Dunn

[email protected]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ohhhh and I like the Taurus revolvers....in a short barrel I would use the good .38spl defense loads made for short barrels....I would only use .357 in 4" and up barrels....love the bobbed or conceled hammer guns....doesnt snag your shirt

James Dunn

[email protected]
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Ammo has come a ways since 1989.

True, on all counts. While munitions companies now offer a wider range of off-the-shelf ammo than they did two decades ago, the basic laws of physics & wound ballistics remain the same. If those concerned with defensive shooting were to follow the "light fast bullet" theory to its (illogical) conclusion, they'd be left with the belief that if you took a .50 caliber case and necked it down far enough to hold the sharp end of a safety pin you could use the resultant round to vaporize a whale with a single shot; Grizzly Bears would burst into flames, and miscreants would suffer no injury at all because the projectile would cauterize the wound as it passed through their body.

In the real world, given two bullets of identical design, both 9mms, the larger and heavier bullet will inevitably show superior defensive performance characteristics. By increasing the diameter of the bullet-- moving up from 9mm to .45 caliber-- you greatly magnify the effectiveness of the bullet, which is why Hatcher rated the .44 Special as 50% more effective than the 9mm.

Last edited by Old_Writer; 09/26/11.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi James,

Have you had the experience of +P 38s sliding out of the cylinder and causing any of your Taurus' to "Stick?" I had two stuck cylinder experiences out of 100 rounds of +P ammo in my brand new M856 this past Sunday.

JJ

Last edited by JJ1962Hemi; 09/26/11.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." -- Ronald Reagan

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good info guys, thanks. No doubt an ideal sidearm would fire 12 Gauge shotshells smile A derringer perhaps, good for 2 attackers! LOL.

Old Writer, in the past, I always felt a 9 was on the weaker end for defense, so wanted to research current ammo and stats. Seems some reports I read showed 147s not doing as well as 115 +P ammo....

Statistics have to be looked at and analyzed in many ways often to get all the facts. No doubt a needle at warp speed would not be the end all in a cartridge, but take for example deer, sometimes light bullets that expand rapidly will drop deer faster than bullets that punch thru w/less damage via wound cavity. Hence my thoughts on why something like a 125gr 357 shows up to 97% one stop.

No doubt, one stop hit does not = DRT

On the need for multiple hits, case in point, the person shot dead last Friday in my son's apartment made it from the 5th to 1st floor before he was finished off. No idea as to caliber/ammo, but multiple shots fired.

I guess the best thing is if you have to shoot, empty your gun and run smile

Hopefully whatever my son does carry, he will never have to draw down on anyone, that's the BEST scenario given a choice.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
try several calibers and actions ( rent 'em and shoot a box through anything before you commit )
What he can hit with is the most important thing.
Some pistols just seem to instictivly hit everything, for different folks.

Remember a hit with a .380 always works better than a miss with a .45!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesDunn
The standard rule and statistic I have learned and used is this....80% of those shot with a handgun survive. That is a hard fact. The other side of that coin is that 80% of those who are shot with a shotgun (we are talking defensive situations here not a hunting incedent with politicians) 80% die. Now we are talking deaths here not stops...two very differnt things...I have seen some guys get a weak 22 in the thigh and thats it..fights over....I have seen a gun take 8 hits with a 9mm (out of an MP-5) and he was still coming...it took a head shot with a .45acp to end the fight and his life.....shot placement is everything and training, training and more training...then even more training is what will make the differnce between you surviving and not....the handgun is only a bullet delivery device..nothing more nothing less.....your the one who needs to get it to the right address..without that skill you can come out in 2nd Place.....not where you want to be

I've treated a lot of wounds, and most who are shot with a handgun DO survive (at least my patients did). In 16 years as a Paramedic in a large city, I have NEVER treated a shotgun buckshot wound, never. Every one was declared dead on scene, and I'm here to tell you; we got there fast. Birdshot...I can't think of a single fatality from birdshot, ever.

I've had two patients who survived contact and near contact distance with .45 ACP. One bounced off the skull, and one was under the chin with a Glaser Safety Slug and the shot never reached the brain (but his face was a puffed out grotesque, disgusting blob, and both eyes were taken out).

From the rib cage up, with a high powered rifle, I've never treated one; they all died very quickly (although some took multiple hits). Even had a guy who had a rifle bullet skip off his skull and he still died.

When you've been where the bullets fly, you'll see that handguns just aren't all that impressive. And bitchen bullets don't make much difference either. It's 100% about shot placement, and generally speaking, multiple shots (if you want things to come to a stop).

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR
Good info guys, thanks. No doubt an ideal sidearm would fire 12 Gauge shotshells smile A derringer perhaps, good for 2 attackers! LOL.

Old Writer, in the past, I always felt a 9 was on the weaker end for defense, so wanted to research current ammo and stats. Seems some reports I read showed 147s not doing as well as 115 +P ammo....

Actually, my observations and that of ER docs and Surgeon's I used to cavort with don't hold that to be true. From 9mm on up, most handguns tend to do almost identical damage when using JHP's. With non expanding bullets, most damage is done by penetration, and obviously larger bullets will create larger holes while generally penetrating just as much (although in FMJ, not much out-penetrates a 124gr 9mm).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I say YES to the Taurus, and NO to .357. In a 2" barrel the .357 loses way too much velocity, recoil is abusive, and muzzle falsh is like a flash/bang grenade. Use Speer Short Barrel loads in .38 Special and you get rid of all that and still have a very effective gun. I love the .357 but it's a piss poor defensive cartridge. All that power just comes with too much baggage. And in a 2" revolver, you get precious little of the power, and even more of the baggage.

I agree with this. Might want to look for a used 2 inch K frame .38 (M10) or its Taurus equivalent. Bigger and heavier, but carries 6 rounds, easier to shoot and +P durable.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JJ1962Hemi
Hi James,

Have you had the experience of +P 38s sliding out of the cylinder and causing any of your Taurus' to "Stick?" I had two stuck cylinder experiences out of 100 rounds of +P ammo in my brand new M856 this past Sunday.

JJ

No I have not had that issue....Wait....what do mean by "Sliding out of the cylinder"?????

James Dunn

[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He means the bullets backing out of the cases, like an inertia bullet puller. Happens often when using stout loads in lightweight guns. The gun comes back in the hand so fast, the bullet in the case slides past its crimp, sometimes enough that it sticks out past the cylinder, and ties up the gun...Bad Ju-Ju in a gunfight. Used to be a real problem in LW J frames with +p ammo back in the day, but not a common problem anymore in facory ammo. My preference is for Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel +P's in my J frames; I've never had one come out.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
He means the bullets backing out of the cases, like an inertia bullet puller. Happens often when using stout loads in lightweight guns. The gun comes back in the hand so fast, the bullet in the case slides past its crimp, sometimes enough that it sticks out past the cylinder, and ties up the gun...Bad Ju-Ju in a gunfight. Used to be a real problem in LW J frames with +p ammo back in the day, but not a common problem anymore in facory ammo. My preference is for Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel +P's in my J frames; I've never had one come out.

Ohhhh I only shoot factory +P ammo so I have never had that issue....makes sense now

James Dunn

[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to have that issue with factory ammo a lot when I carried my 442. Made me a bit paranoid. Finally, I found the Winchester 158 grain SWCHP would hold solid, and although it would NEVER expand out of a 2" barrel (not sure if that's still the case, but it was in the early '90's), at the end of the day, it was still a 158 grain SWC so it was my prefered load.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hey Guys,

I actually meant the entire cartridge backing out of the cylinder, not the bullet becoming unseated from the crimp. That's what I assumed happened. I've heard of the bullet-release problem with lightweight guns, but this is a steel (21oz?) revolver. I have to check again, but my thought was that the entire cartridge backed out and caught on something. I was in a dingy indoor rang with poor visibility and didn't consider Kevin's thought. Since if I just rocked the cylinder back and forth quickly, I was able to fire the next round, I assumed what I did. Maybe I misdiagnosed this one.

JJ

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." -- Ronald Reagan

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I was using factory 125gr +P ammo, but not the Speer Gold Dot for short barrels, just "plain" Winchester (white box) 38 +ps.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I hear that handguns are far more effective stoppers of grizzly bears.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Presumably this happened with the same two chambers? If so, then you might want to check if those chambers are with factory specs. If not, then it sounds like it may have been the primers backing out of the cartridge causing the gun to bind up.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,251 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,039
Posts18,500,735
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.