Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I PM'd this to a few of you that I had chatted with prior to this hunt, but I wanted to share this info with everyone else in case they were considering using this area. I'm pretty sure I'll stick with Colorado in the future instead... but about my Idaho Area 27 Elk hunt. I just got home tonight. The guys were definitely right about it being rugged territory. I averaged 8-10 miles per day on foot (in addition to the days I rode mules 5-15 miles to new areas to hunt). We setup a basecamp near lower pistol lake and rode to new area's and spike camped to look for sign. (over 4 days I averaged 33 miles on my gps--foot miles and 2000 ft of elevation climb and then decent per day). To say I hunted hard was an understatement.
The habitat was great looked like it should be full of elk. Sign was lacking though. Scat I found was weeks old, very few tracks even, none fresh.
The last few days I found some fresh tracks near the boarder with area 25, those tracks had wolf tracks mixed in with them. I assumed the wolves were pressuring them and kept them moving. The last day of the hunt I covered 9.6 miles solo on foot (4 of that was before daybreak) while the others went another way. I encountered 1 bull very early but couldn't get him into the clear for a clean shot opportunity, he would bugle with me for a few minutes before taking his cows and disappearing).
Honestly I don't think they should be selling tags for this area....lol The wolves didn't even have much presence there because I beleive they've cleaned the area out. Just thought I would share.

West Kentucky Boy
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know about the wolves, but interesting nonetheless. I hunted that country hard for three successive years (with a couple of local residents) in the early 1980s and my experiences mirrored yours almost exactly. I have never had a hankering to go back. Thought that things might have improved...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hunted 27 last year when the temps were excruciating, on top of the elevation issues and steep terrain. Saw old Elk scat from early in the year and a few wolf tracks. Deer were far and few between (primarily because of the temps) We were in the Seafoam area and hunted up to Pinyon Peak. I do know for a fact that Elk were near Pinyon Peak 2 years ago as one of our hunting party downed a nice Bull in '09. I personally think the Elk migrate through 27 on their way to 25, 26 and 28 now.

...T. Ray
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I hunted the unit two years ago in October. I saw elk every day. Dad and I tagged out on day two and spent the rest of the week deer hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How'd the deer hunt go?

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have not hunted Unit 27 but my neighbor, a hunter, two doors down the street from me, hunts it every year. He has killed a bull for the past five years I've known him. He is about 38 or so and stays in good shape.

I do know there are plenty of wolves in that area.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by exbiologist
How'd the deer hunt go?

Poor. Forkies and basket racks. I've seen some monsters in the same area previously but you need weather to push them out of the mountains and into the river front breaks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, been wanting to do a combo up there

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

S
S
Sorry your trip didn't result with an elk on the ground but that's hunting

If you hunted during the last week or two the weather sure didn't help you any.

There are elk in that area for sure.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Sidnye
Sorry your trip didn't result with an elk on the ground but that's hunting

If you hunted during the last week or two the weather sure didn't help you any.

There are elk in that area for sure.

I still had a great trip... no regrets. I hunted hard and did my part.

West Kentucky Boy
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (12344mag, 44mc, 7887mm08, 160user, 1936M71, 21 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,645
Posts18,533,734
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.