Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I'll be putting the stalk on a scimitar horned oryx in a bit over a week and would like to hear from those of you who have actually hunted oryx.

I've been doing some research on shot placement and, as usual, opinions are mixed on the subject. Some say use a standard behind-the-shoulder placement, but most of the diagrams I've seen show the lungs riding above the heart, which is positioned somewhat forward and low, protected by bone. This leads some to say "No, no, don't shoot behind the shoulder or you've screwed the pooch." These folks advocate shooting at the shoulder, but some decry that placement on the basis of excessive meat damage, which I'd like to avoid. This leads to a third school of thought, which holds that you should shoot just behind the shoulder -- not 3 or 4 inches behind, but JUST behind the shoulder, inline with the rear line of the front leg.

What say you, experienced oryx slayers?

I'll probably use a .300 WSM, but I don't want to launch another cartridge selection debate. This is all about placement.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Never have shot an oryx, but this should give you an idea of structure and plumbing:

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
what ib posted.....

maddog

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boddington has a book on shot placement with pics like that. I saw some of the pics and they all look pretty much alike. It's weird. I've heard that African plains game have their vitals lower and further forward than North American game. It seems to be true. Strange, but valid. I wonder why the divergence.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Straight up the rear of the front leg & 1/3 up from the belly. Works on most all plains game. Hits the top of the heart & lungs.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
In Texas,
Why, only a Texas Heart shot will do!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Have downed a couple of Scimitar Horned Oryx. Put both down with a shot thru the shoulder about 1/3 up. Both dropped on the spot. Heavy animal, delicious meat. I use TSX's and had virtually no meat loss.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I knew you were gonna do this.... grin

Shot placement is what these guys have said.....but the meat is no good, go ahead and send it to me..... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I knew you would be along...mind sharing an oryx roast? whistle

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Shhhhhhhh......( soon as KW comes through on sending me the "bad" meat.....) grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Poobah - I'll just go ahead and apologize in advance for failing you. You know how I'm a terrible hunter and worse shot, so my odds of actually bagging one are miniscule... almost non-existant, really. It would be a miracle of the first order.

So it's highly doubtful I'll ever have the good fortune of being in a position to send you some of that bad Oryx meat.

I'll see if I still have some road-killed muskrat though. It might be a tad freezer burned, but you can just eat around those parts.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Any Axis left...??? whistle

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ingwe

What Axis?

*blink blink*

Actually, not much... but will shoot an Axis doe late Oct. to replentish.

You can shoot those down here for $200 or a bit less. You can't beat that deal with a stick. smile

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Can always shoot em in the rear shoulder. *Grins*

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
You must have me confused with Swampy. wink

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Lol, just wanted to keep ALL options open.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Shot mine in the shoulder-DRT. They are pretty much plumbed like all four legged cloven hooved animals. The only PG I found to be differently plumbed was Wildebeast.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot a gemsbuck too far back on a quartering away shot once. Luckily I got a piece of both lungs but he went a long way before we found him.

Approached every clump of brush for about a mile with the rifles at the ready as they can get pretty grouchy when hurt and those horns are long and sharp...

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
When i was on my Oryx hunt on fort bliss in february I saw first hand what a typical behind the shoulder white-tail shot does. It kills them, but they can go a LONG LONG way. Not something you want on the McGreagor range! The folks I spoke with prior to the hunt said shoot for the ball of the shoulder. I did and he went DRT with the top of his heart ripped off. Didnt destroy that much meat. Polaxed him with a 180 Accu-bond out of a 300 win.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Originally Posted by ingwe

What Axis?

*blink blink*

Actually, not much... but will shoot an Axis doe late Oct. to replentish.

You can shoot those down here for $200 or a bit less. You can't beat that deal with a stick. smile

Really glad your taking advantage of Texas year round hunting.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 30 invisible), 1,731 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,987
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.