-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I started my son at 9 with a 7-08, but I really want to have a gun that fits his sister better (she is small) with little recoil. He uses a browning Micro-Medallion, which now fits him great at 14. Since my AR15 has a collapsible stock, I thought that I can make the gun fit her. She has not shot much, so i have some ground to make up pretty quickly.

Any comments about her using this rifle for deer? I plan on using 60 grain NP, and limiting her range to maybe 75 yards. The barrel has a 1-8 twist.

Maybe only load 1 round in the mag? Obviously I will be sitting right next to her.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A 9yo is too young for a gas gun IMO, unless you will be sharing a stand with her. Get a S&W 15-22 first and let her shoot several bricks through it until both of you are comfortable that SHE's comfortable with that gun.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I will be sitting side by side, and controlling the rifle until she is ready to shoot.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my Son was a dedicated deer slayer by age 8, but my daughter never showed any interest.
Out of a sense of duty, she went twice, but after that, zip.

Good luck. The AR should do just fine for her, though they can be heavy. A break open H&R single shot might be more suitable.

Sam......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
one round chamber, maybe one in the mag... its all controllable.

I prefer TSX but no flies on a partition as long as you don't expect complete penetration every shot.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
10-4. That's what I was thinking. 1 round maybe 1 in mag. She will have a good rest(bull bag) in a tower stand.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hoping she will catch the bug. She is showing interest now so I want to strike when the iron is hot.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good luck!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
my son killed 2 last year at age 7 with the ar and 70 grn tsx. first went 50 yds, second a bang flop. both shots were well placed and over 100 yds..dad was proud...

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I bought a DPMS Sportical for my then 9yo son about 2 years ago. He killed one youth season '09 and two youth season '10. Youth season is coming up in about a month and we are getting ready. I reload using the Win 64g pp bullet which has worked well. We hunt from the ground and I made some shooting sticks to help him support the rifle during the aiming phase. The adjustable buttstock is a real plus. He is right handed left eye dominant so he shoots left handed. No problems with ejecting brass. PH

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My daughter enjoys my little AR with a 10.5" barrel and a colapsable stock.

T
T
I started my nine year-old daughter on her moms model 7 in 7-08, but she did not like the kick, or the stock, it was too long for her, she is pretty small.

My 6x45 AR with adjustable stock fits her perfectly, she loves shooting with it, and she shoots it pretty well. She killed two hogs, and a doe with it last year.

To answer you question, yes a AR will be perfect for her, teach her how to shoot it, and have fun. My daughter hunts with a full 20 round mag, you never know when you will need more than one or two shots, especially with groups of hogs, so far one shot per critter is all she has needed. I have taught her to hold the trigger back after the shot, and either release and shoot again if needed, or release and put the safety on if followup shot is not needed. She is very safe, I have never had to tell her to put the safety back on after the shot, she dose it automatically.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Too cool!!!!! That is the direction I am going. Thanks. Plateu and Wolverine. Great pictures. Wolverine- welcome to the fire.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.