Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Sako Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
OK. it all started this past spring when a guy on another forum posted about canning venison. The comments were almost unanimously �yuck�..... (however, it was funny as almost to the person that said Yuck.... none of them had ever tried it)

Over the spring and summer I investigated it more and found that people who can deer, love it..... so i figured I would give it a go since I had everything and can veggies out of the garden every year.

Fast forward to this past weekend.... In my tree stand looking at three does and trying to decide if I am going to kill one or not.... (did not have to think about it too long smile )

Long story short, I canned the meat from the front shoulders and neck from the doe. Opened up a can today and put it in a pan to heat it up. Added some sour cream and hot sauce. Heated till the sauce thickened..... Serve it rice noodles and it was devoured.... My wife looked at me and said... I guess you will have to kill some extra deer this year just to can because this is Awesome.....

The deer meat after it has been canned is so tender it is unbelievable.... If you have never tried canned venison, you are missing out... plus it does not take up freezer space.....

Long story short... I highly recommend canning some deer if you do not...

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I don't think that's a secret here at the campfire. I think you will find many fans of canning venison/elk etc.

Including me.

that reminds me, we need a new pressure cooker.

Something clever here.

S
Sako Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I don't think that's a secret here at the campfire. I think you will find many fans of canning venison/elk etc.

Including me.

that reminds me, we need a new pressure cooker.

Part of the reason I am here smile just seems i can not convince poeple on the other board....

BTW... if you need a new presure cooker, look at the All American Pressure Canner. I bought one recently and it is certainly the nices canner I have ever used....

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What size did you get? How many quarts will it hold?

S
Sako Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Cheesy

I actually downsized and bought the 915 model... it holds 7 quarts or 10 pints... I found I never really stacked jars in my other unit so I figured no need to stack in the new one...

it is a interesting model in that it does not use a rubber gasket to seal.... it is all machined aluminum and is a metal to metal fit...

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Huh, thanks I'm gonna look for one of those.

Something clever here.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I've never tried canned venison, by dad used to eat it all the time when he was a kid. I've always wanted to try it

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've always wanted to try canned venison, I've heard it is awesome in chili and stroganoff. Would any of you share your recipe?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by northern_dave

...and moose and caribou and goat and sheep and....

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sako
Originally Posted by Cheesy

I actually downsized and bought the 915 model... it holds 7 quarts or 10 pints... I found I never really stacked jars in my other unit so I figured no need to stack in the new one...

it is a interesting model in that it does not use a rubber gasket to seal.... it is all machined aluminum and is a metal to metal fit...

Exactly the canner I have (2 of them) and found after using a friend's canner which is the biggest one American makes, that it takes less time to run 2 loads in my smaller one, than one in his enormous one because the great big one takes so long to pressure up and then pressure down when the cook time is up.

So, I run 2 at the same time when it's moose cannin' time.

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i can mine like this

cut meat in 1in cubes,remove all fat
pack jars to the neck with raw meat
add 1/4 onion and 1 beef boulon cube
fill almost full with water,make sure you slide a butter knife down in the jar when filling with water to get them full

pressure can at 15lbs for 80min for quarts,60min for pints.

you will find lots of ways to eat it. i like to add a pint to a bag of uncle bens rice. sometimes i add a can of beef gravy and eat other toast. its a 5 minute meal ,taste great all year long.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've started this myself too. I've found there's enough juice in the meat that you don't need to add water. If you do add water then it just boils off when you bring it up to temperature and is replaced by deer juice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
with the beef boulon you need some water,i think

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
i've never added water?

is that extra 25fps worth detonation?
NRA life member
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Well I don't think it will hurt. How about we all get together and try 40 batches, half one way, half the other and see how it all shakes out? laugh laugh laugh

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My wife dosnt care for deer meat so instead of makeing stew meat out of the neck, I can it for my lunch meat.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I grew up eating canned moose, caribou, deer, bear, etc... Most of it was canned with a generous shot of dill weed and seed. We called it "dilled deer" The standing joke was that all of it was "deer meat" and it was a good thing we did not shoot does...

Dilled does...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i like having the broth,then you have a choice to use it or not. if i want gravy i usually drain it,if i add it to rice i don't. the onion and boulon makes it all good.

all i know is,its some fine eatin in the dead of winter when you need something fast.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by srwshooter
all i know is,its some fine eatin in the dead of winter when you need something fast.

That is one of the best thing I like about canned meat. It takes time to prepare and can it, but when you go to cook up a meal it usually is quick.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I didn't realize it was that easy. Is there a certain cut of meat that is better than others? Or are there any to stay away from?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (16penny, 007FJ, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,594 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,660
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.