-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yes,add one cube to each jar and the onion. i buy those big ol white onoins that are 3-4 in around . add about a 1/4 of one to each jar. if you cook it like i said ,you will not get poisoned unless you overdose on venison. that just may happen,i bet it won't take you long to start experimenting on different ways to eat it. i have kept it for 3 years on the shelf . that tough elk would be great to thaw out and can. i do that sometimes right before deer season . just thaaaw everything i have left and can it. i make deer bologna to,so i will cut up at least 2 whole deer and freeze in gallon ziplock bags to either can later or make bologna.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well,..I canned some meat today. Had some "operator error",..hope it turns out well.

Just for a trial run I did 3 jars of lean chunks using the 1/4 onion and bouillon cube trick.

The other 2 jars I wanted to try making some canned taco meat. I spiced the meat and added a little tomato sauce on top. Wiped off the edges of the jars, put a New warmed lid on and screwed everything down tight with the rings.

[Linked Image]

Got the pressure cooker fired up,..jars in and steam shooting out,..rocker weight on top doing its thing. Everything seemed to be going well.

About 65 minutes into the cooking,..I started to smell the pleasant aroma of Taco Meat.... eek....I don't believe that's supposed to happen...

I let everything finish pressure cooking at 15 lbs over 90 minutes.

Apparently some of the juice leaking out the top of a couple jars,..When I took the jars out of the cooker I checked them for tightness. I was able to tighten a couple about another 1/8 turn. There was still a bit of boiling/bubbles in the jar when I tightened them down.

After they cooled the lids all sucked down,..which I think means they all sealed. The suspect jars appear to have lose about 1/2" of liquid. Not a whole bunch, just enough to notice.

The other thing is,..I think the ground meat cooked together in one clump. Kinda like a mini-meatloaf in a jar. I imagine it will break up when it's time to use it.

Here's a couple pics of the finished chunks.

What do you think..? Is that what it's supposed to look like.?

Has anybody ever had jars leak a bit.?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've got a jar of canned moose meat in camp, probably been there at least 10 years and the seal is still tight on it, I wonder if it's any good? Was so good back in the day.

I'm afraid to open this one......lol

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Whacker44, I think you are fine.

We usually leave the rings kinda loose for processing then I tighten them once I take the jars out hot.

Headspace is your friend when you pack jars. Its normal to get expansion but you don't want to burp too much stuff past the lids.

Moose meat 10 yrs old? Freeze thaw, freeze thaw?

Ick.

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I gotta give you guys 2 Big Thumbs Up..!

Opened a jar of the elk chunks I canned a few days ago. It was delicious. Can't tell the difference between it and beef pot roast.

The meat I used was less than desirable stew meat. Before canning I removed all the silver skin, gristle and fat I could and hoped for the best. I added 1/4 onion and 1 Tsp of bouillon.

Turned out better than I imagined. I'll be saving a lot more meat that way next time I draw blood.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Really want to try this...

Grandma used to can tomatos every year. Year before she passed away, she moved out of her house into a smaller apartment. She started throwing things away and figured "no one wants to can anything, I'll just throw this away".

Sure is sad to know that it is gone...specially since she had it for YEARS.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
tomaters are usually just boiling water bath canned.

For the meat you need an actual pressure canner though.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Whacker44, I think you are fine.

We usually leave the rings kinda loose for processing then I tighten them once I take the jars out hot.

Headspace is your friend when you pack jars. Its normal to get expansion but you don't want to burp too much stuff past the lids.

Moose meat 10 yrs old? Freeze thaw, freeze thaw?
Ick.

grin
Yeah, exactly what I was thinking too!! lol

Steelhead

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I ate a can of beans from our old camp once that had seen many winters in our old shack.

It used to be beans, but the texture was like baby food when i opened it.

I ate the whole can on a quest for gas (had to be there to understand)

I got more than I bargained for sick

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well no worries there, I won't be eating that moose meat. I think the guys are saving it as a souvenir from the old days. We use to make a killer moose stew in camp using that canned meat.

Steelhead

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The wife and I just got back from bear hunting, 2 - 200 lbs. bears. The wife canned 30 quarts of meat. When I butchered them I save the bones and the wife cooks the bones to make a broth to pack the meat in. And cans the rest of the broth to make soup. She will be doing the same when we fill are deer tags, the next couple months.

S
Sako Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
wow.... you really can some poundage...

I am taking my sone and two friends to West TN this weekend... they will have their sons as well with them. My son and I are the only ones in the group who eat deer meat... (unless I cook it and then they all love it smile )... hopefully this weekend we will come home with 2 to 4 deer for me to can.... it will be alot of work but it sure will be good.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Well no worries there, I won't be eating that moose meat. I think the guys are saving it as a souvenir from the old days. We use to make a killer moose stew in camp using that canned meat.

I bet it was good stew.

Well if someone draws a bear tag and sets a bait station that aged moose meat will be the hot ticket lol!

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Oh it aint so much more work than freezing it, it's just the waiting.

On that note, if you have an electric range... crazy it's going to take a while to can anything.

Gas be good for canning.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northern_dave
tomaters are usually just boiling water bath canned.

For the meat you need an actual pressure canner though.

Oh...good thing I never tried it! haha!

I think I want to get one of these!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yeah I want one too, we usually borrow one from a friend.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
haha! I gotta get some friends that have this stuff...they sure are expensive.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have canned a lot of meat, poultry, fish and vegetables over the years and never used a pressure cooker. I know it is supposed to kill you but Four generations of us have survived with hot water bath canning so some kinda miracle must have happened.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With all due respect, I hope no one tries to duplicate your luck. It's a recipe for terrible potential consequences.

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The only meat I have eaten with out the pressure is when my grandmother would cook some sausage, maybe half cook or all the way cook, and she would place them in the jars while hot and screw on seal and ring, turn upside down and let the grease run down and seal. It worked.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12savage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 3,135 guests, and 1,448 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,743
Posts18,476,060
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.