Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
ok, so I have used Sierra's all my life for target, load development, and some on deer. can anyone explain to me how this old, established, really accurate company has not succumbed to bonding or some other form of super premium. their regular bullets kill deer like lighting in my experience and I am sure a good 180 gr at 30-06 velociteis would kill elk just fine, but with all the new options in bullets, I am surprised they never got in the game on bonding.

HR IC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by no experience
ok, so I have used Sierra's all my life for target, load development, and some on deer. can anyone explain to me how this old, established, really accurate company has not succumbed to bonding or some other form of super premium. their regular bullets kill deer like lighting in my experience and I am sure a good 180 gr at 30-06 velociteis would kill elk just fine, but with all the new options in bullets, I am surprised they never got in the game on bonding.
That would be a question for Sierra themselves IMO. If you go to their site, they have a hotline you can call and ask.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by SAUMHUNTER79
That would be a question for Sierra themselves IMO. If you go to their site, they have a hotline you can call and ask.

Yep, sent them an email, will report on their answers if anyone but me is interested. I suspect they will say it has somethign to do with accuracy, but perhaps its as simple as they are willing to not participate in that market and stay with what got em there

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think the main reason is they are working full blast to keep up with the orders for the bullets they make now. As pointed out, their game bullets kills stuff just fine, so why fix what ain't broke?

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started with Sierra's in the early 50's and used their bullets for varmints, target and a few deer. Of course they are very accurate and they came through for me in competition.

Its just that I had to try the Partition bullets and then later bullets with plastic meplats like the Nosler Ballistic Tips.

So these days I shoot less of the Sierra's. Seems thats what others do when you look at what this CT dealer carries.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
I think the main reason is they are working full blast to keep up with the orders for the bullets they make now. As pointed out, their game bullets kills stuff just fine, so why fix what ain't broke?

I'm in total agreement except one area. I would go with a premium bullet on dangerous game that hunts back. Cup and core bullets will kill any thin skinned game in the world and have be doing it for a century now.

NRA Lifetime Member
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
I got a response from sierra who said the reason they don't make the bullet is cost. just cost. they don't want to offer a bullet that will cost so much its not worth making in their view. so, I will continue to use them on deer and targets and sighting in, but if I move up to elk, I am going with something different.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
don't get me wrong, i love my x's and TSX's but when the hell did Sierra's become too frail to shoot elk with? i could see it in some super mag chucking along at light speed but normal velocities i just can't see where they wont work...

My .02

I can't spell... Deal with it...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I got a response from sierra who said the reason they don't make the bullet is cost. just cost. they don't want to offer a bullet that will cost so much its not worth making in their view. so, I will continue to use them on deer and targets and sighting in, but if I move up to elk, I am going with something different.

They kill elk. Just go with the gameking and a little heavy for caliber and you will be fine as long as you put it in the right spot. My 338 win mag loves the 250 gr. gameking and that is the only bullet I use on elk. It puts them down and I get pass thrus. I was surprised last year I hit one high in the shoulder and it broke the collar bone (?), the jacket seperated and the core went out the other side. It did the trick without any problems and didn't cause as much bloodshot as I thought it was going to, I've seen a lot worse from corelokts!!!!! Like others said, why fix something that isn't broken?????

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
[quote=Paul Walukewicz]don't get me wrong, i love my x's and TSX's but when the hell did Sierra's become too frail to shoot elk with? i could see it in some super mag chucking along at light speed but normal velocities i just can't see where they wont work...

My .02 [/quote

Im sure they will kill elk, but my feeling is if I spend big $$$ for a guided hunt and am shooting 300 win, 180 gr...I want to be absolutely certain the bullet will hold together in case a quartering shot is necessary. probably more piece of mind than anything else, but in my rifle, the nosler partition shoots very well.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
don't get me wrong, i love my x's and TSX's but when the hell did Sierra's become too frail to shoot elk with? i could see it in some super mag chucking along at light speed but normal velocities i just can't see where they wont work...

My .02

I don't know who you are.....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My .02

Im sure they will kill elk, but my feeling is if I spend big $$$ for a guided hunt and am shooting 300 win, 180 gr...I want to be absolutely certain the bullet will hold together in case a quartering shot is necessary. probably more piece of mind than anything else, but in my rifle, the nosler partition shoots very well.

Why limit yourself to 180 grains with a 300 Mag? Part of using C&C bullets is making good weight choices also. THey make a fine 200 grain GameKing as well as a tough 220 Pro-Hunter. I'd like to see the elk that couldn't be killed with one of those. Granted, I have never been one to shove a bullet through 2-3 feet of poop in order to make meat, not even with monos.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead

My .02

I don't know who you are.....

it's the divorce... it's making me say stupid stuff! grins

i'll seek counseling...

I can't spell... Deal with it...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 14,838 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,983
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.