Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I had to laugh about the "going to a ranch comment."

I guess guys from the east may not understand some of our ranches. The ranch I'm on goes right up to the wilderness line and we have lots of grizz way down below it. Some ranches are many, many sq miles.

We had several grizz killing and attacking cattle this year miles below the wilderness line.

Most of the country on this ranch is wilder than anything east of the Rockies I suspect.

DITTOS.

A 1,000 acre farm back East is a monster farm. Most working farms back East are around a 160 acres, up to about 300 acres.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
He recommended that, in addition to my .30-06 bolt gun, I also bring a bear stopping handgun to wear while hunting.

Dumb, dumb, dumb, if not plain stupid.

What are going to do if you see a grizzly bear, drop your rifle or sling it and shoot him with a handgun? Dumb.

And if gutting or quartering, just have your rifle ready to go nearby, its all you need.

No need to carry the extra weight of a handgun when you already have a rifle.

The only time I can see packing a handgun is when you take an early morning dump outside of camp.

Ewwww! bear stories! scawey!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always felt that the rifle in the sleeping bag was a bit bothersome....... grin

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah, a handgun in camp. But packing one? No.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35
Yeah, a handgun in camp. But packing one? No.

Seriously guys, if an additional 3-lbs is bothersome, y'all need to get in better shape. It really isn't a pain to carry a handgun around and I really can't imagine it being problematic. Plus, if you bust the scope on your rifle beacause of a fall or whatever, you are not out of the game.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Seriously guys, if an additional 3-lbs is bothersome, y'all need to get in better shape.

You obviously haven't hiked the mtns in Idaho have you? One of the reasons I pack a Titanium rifle.

Bust a scope? You're still better off pointing your rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've hiked and hunted in many mountainous places both here and abroad, and I hunt with handguns and I know that they are not as limited terminally as you perhaps may think. And yes, scopes do break. This wasn't an attack on you, just a reaction to those who constantly cite the additional weight as a deal-breaker.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No problem, I didn't take it as an attack on me.

You don't need to pack a handgun on a hunt when you have a rifle. For over 40 years I have hunted the Rockies and Cascades, never needed one and never will.

I know that they are not as limited terminally as you perhaps may think.

I never mentioned their terminal performance.

Curious, where did you hunt with a handgun abroad?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I rifle hunted abroad. I hunt almost exclusively with a handgun nowadays. I took a cow moose in Maine last month with a revolver -- I just find it more challenging.

SU35 -- PM heading your way......

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm usually the guy carrying a handgun when no one else is. It wouldn't be worth it to me to carry mine while rifle hunting --- but there's nothing wrong with it --- some people like belts AND suspenders.

I'd surely take it with you on the trip though. Great for around camp -- by your bedside, going to the john @ night, etc ... Don't know if you'll use horses, but that's another place where rifles are useless and handguns can help a lot. Also, you might get an Elk and then go fishing -- lots of handgun opportunities.

In the Bob Marshall I carry a 5" 629 (also a .44 mag) with 285 grain HardCasts at 1235 fps.

Last edited by LarryfromBend; 09/30/11.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SU35
He recommended that, in addition to my .30-06 bolt gun, I also bring a bear stopping handgun to wear while hunting.

Dumb, dumb, dumb, if not plain stupid.

What are going to do if you see a grizzly bear, drop your rifle or sling it and shoot him with a handgun? Dumb.

And if gutting or quartering, just have your rifle ready to go nearby, its all you need.

No need to carry the extra weight of a handgun when you already have a rifle.

The only time I can see packing a handgun is when you take an early morning dump outside of camp.

Ewwww! bear stories! scawey!

You ought to tell that to a firend of mine who packed a hand gun and a rifle as well as a 12 gauge in camp. He'll tell you bear stories that will make your hair crawl. He was a guide, outfitter, and trapper for over 20 years in the Bob Marshal Wilderness.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
hmmm. let's see... this?

Originally Posted by jwp475

Good luck with the condiment with an angry bear on you

A handgun is the sane choice for sure

or this? (from THIS THREAD )

Originally Posted by 458Win
Another vote for buying bear spray when you get to Alaska

i bet Phil has more experience with bears. laffin...

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The Condiment will only make you taste better. The Bear on the left of the picture came in on me while working a Moose kill, my rifle was leaning against a tree. The revolver was in my shoulder holster and was instantly available. Pepper spray in that situation is not an option

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
This comes up since I've been invited by an old friend to join him and a local hunter friend of his in Idaho (where they live currently) to do some elk hunting there, and he informs me that there are grizzly bear warnings for hunters up there recently, some having been attacked. He recommended that, in addition to my .30-06 bolt gun, I also bring a bear stopping handgun to wear while hunting. Most powerful handgun I have is a .44 Magnum. Have three, in fact, but the lightest one is my S&W 329PD, which is what I'm thinking of packing. But I seem to recall reading an article about ten of fifteen years ago that suggested that there's never been a successful self-defense against a grizzly bear with a handgun, regardless of caliber or load, and that your best self-defense against one is whatever rifle you're hunting with. Thoughts?

PS I remember reading accounts of bear attacks, also, where the hunter attempted self-defense with his rifle, and had the rifle knocked from his hands, resulting in a long drawn out mauling because he had nothing else.

This is the opening post, don't believe that he asked about "pepper spray". He asked about the viability of a handgun for bear protection

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ok...for those of you who do carry a gun for bear defense...

What do you carry;

How do you carry it;

What load do you carry?

Opinion please....my load is a 230 grain Leadhead Keith at 975 fps... Federal CastCore 250s from the same gun clock 1080 (4" barrel). Is that enough or should the velocity be upped?

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bullet placement is what really matters. Place the bullet right and a .22lr will kill the baddest bear out there. Poor bullet placement and a .460 Nitro Express won't kill a bear.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You ought to tell that to a firend of mine who packed a hand gun and a rifle as well as a 12 gauge in camp.

Believe me I've heard all the stories my family members were Govt. Trappers.

And like you said, in camp

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
when I have elk hunted in griz country (Idaho and MT), I always kind of figured if that .338 wasn't enough to stop a grizzly, a pistola would just slow me down running for my life.

and anybody who doesn't think a big handgun becomes a drag at the end of a day working through blowdowns at ten K feet hasn't done it or is way younger than I am.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sgt217
You would be too scared to do anything should a bear come running....They are A LOT scarier than a guy in a truck...

In that case, why even bother to carry a rifle ... or bear spray??

Just lay down and play dead, until you are dead... just like the two girls in Glacier Park in 1967, when they were mauled and killed by two separate Grizzlies in separate incidents, on the same night. They did as advised by "experts" and "played dead" until they were dead.

One of the dead girl's boy friend also "played dead" and was only badly mauled. "Glacier Park, Night Of The Grizzlies," www.montanapbs.org.

I'll just continue to depend on my handgun or rifle, and being careful. Works for me. smile

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

This is the opening post, don't believe that he asked about "pepper spray". He asked about the viability of a handgun for bear protection

i was not the first to mention bear spray in this thread.

and in the thread i linked, the OP diddn't ask about bear spray either, but Phil (among others) advised getting it anyway. [gasp!]

but i suppose it sounds cooler on the internet to say 'i'll just blast 'em with mah hawgleg'...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Page 7 of 18 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 1badf350, 2ndwind, 52 invisible), 1,944 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,029
Posts18,520,914
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.