Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
tlfw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any opinions out there as to what to get for a life saving safety system while in a tree stand?

The land of the free because of the brave.
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The hunting and construction industry is loaded with all kinds of great equipment these days.

What are you looking for advice in; harness, safety line or descender or all of the above?

Here is a quick shot to some information from the deer hunting forum................

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../5647099/Treestand_lifelines#Post5647099

I just bought a Tree Spider Live Wire descender and will use it (hopefully not deployed!) this year in the stand.

tlfw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking for the harness one wears on himself. I'm going to be hunting on a friends farm that has tree stands and an attachment point for a personal safety harness system that I need to buy.

The land of the free because of the brave.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like my Summit "seat of the pants" harness with suspension relief strap. It is a little heavy, but it has the lineman's attachment line feature so hanging stands is now a two hand endeavor. Hunter safety systems new unltr light harness looks pretty good. Combine either one with a good decender and it does not get much better. Just ordered one of the Tree spider units myself. Looks pretty good.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunter safety systems is the best game in town. they are so easy to snap into that there is never a reason not to use them. I especially like the newer harness that is not a built in vest. I have 4 sets of these for the camera guys, and my hunters. nobody complains about them and every one puts them on without effort.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
my $.02 - there are several really good systems out there. I prefer a harness rather than a vest. reason being is I can wear a harness under my outer clothes and still have access to my pockets. I have yet to find a vest that has enough pockets in the right places. I can also shed/add clothing if necessary in the tree without removing the harness.

Pay attention to how the leg straps attach to the harness and where. Some are designed in such a way as you will be singing soprano for the rest of your life if you did fall with one on.

one other thing, whatever you buy, make sure the retention strap has a controlled break away mechanism in it. By that I mean the strap is usually folded over itself and stitched in 8-10 layers. If you were to fall, this stitching will rip out of the loops and help dissipate the energy of the fall over a longer period. It makes a fall much less violent on the body than say using a solid rope as a retaining anchor would.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hunter safety systems

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've been using one from DBI/Sala for about 10 years. It was made/marketed for hunters at the time and is extremely well made and comfortable. All metal buckles and rubber sheathing over them to keep them quiet.

As a nice added touch, they included a Fox Mini 40 whistle that hangs from some para cord right off my right shoulder, and that little thing can probably be heard for a mile or so! (piece of mind)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Hunter safety systems is the best game in town. they are so easy to snap into that there is never a reason not to use them. I especially like the newer harness that is not a built in vest. I have 4 sets of these for the camera guys, and my hunters. nobody complains about them and every one puts them on without effort.

Big plus 1!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Originally Posted by JJHACK

Big plus 1!

+2

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
wear something regardless.

This weekend opener alone.. one fell 6 feet and took 200 stitches to the scalp... another one fell about 8 feet, and cracked ribs etc... and passed out via pain driving himself to town and ran off road and hit tree...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I also just bought a Tree Spider harness and really like it. Light weight,easy to put on and adjust.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ditto on Hunter Safety Systems. However, there are several other good systems out there too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,781
Posts18,515,744
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.