Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#5679354 10/04/11
D
DELOR1 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
going on guided elk hunt--any help on tipping. Will be day tripping from a lodge

Last edited by DELOR1; 10/05/11.
GB1

V
V
Thats a good question, and what about a spike camp, where you are dropped in.......

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DELOR1
going on guided elk hunt--any help on tipping
$1500-$2000 would be a fair tip.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
No more than 45 degrees or they fall over and then you have to stand them back up. grin

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Depends on a lot. I compare what was delivered to what was advertised. Second thing is whether the delivery was cheerful or came with a bad attitude. If I got what I believed I was paying for and it came cheerfully, I'm going to tip well. Whatever I do will also be affected by the total bill .. length of the trip, number of people contributing to the work, complexity of amenities, and so on.

One thing ... I do not like to "bulk tip" an outfitter. I worked as a fishing guide for quite a few years. I saw far too many customers give the outfitter a big tip with instructions to share it with the guides, lodge help, and so on pocket the whole thing as soon as the customer was out of sight. I personally tip the individuals who made my trip pleasant (and hopefully successful).

I'm kind of hardnosed about some things: if someone gives me crappy service I will truly give them a one penny tip to demonstrate that I thought it over and decided they suck rather than have them think I just forgot because there was no tip at all. On the other hand if I feel like someone did a superlative job I don't hesitate to tip 20-25% or more.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DELGUE
No more than 45 degrees or they fall over and then you have to stand them back up. grin
That's funny laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slg888
Originally Posted by DELGUE
That's funny laugh

laugh

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have recived $natta from a drop camp party of 4 , and couldn't blame. Did everything for them and then some. The stock was rank, one hunter took a nasty fall, they did not see a single elk. The outfitter should have known better, maybe he did?

And I have been tipped $400 for a 5 day hunt walking out of a drive-to base camp, nothing went right, and the hunter could not have been happier!
He shot a spike opening morning by mistake, but the spike had a strange antler, looked like a brow-tine to him (in a 4X or better unit). I told him that we needed to turn it in, and he agreed. The Game Warden gave him a $68 dollar fine, took the spike, took his license, and issued him another licenses. And the hunter had a very clear conscience.
I was extremely happy with that tip!

I seen a hunter tip a wrangle (that had nothing to do with his hunt) $200 so he would not have to look at his duck-taped boots when he came back the following year. That was nice to see, it was more of a gift, but made 2 people feel good about life.

It has been mentioned to hand deliver your tip, their are some fantastic people in the business, and there are some cut-throat bass-turds also that would pocket it quicker then a snake bite.

There are no rules or calculators like going to a restaurant, but of you make the effort from your heart, you can't go wrong.

Now there are those that can afford it. That can make life interesting! A friend of mine was given a pair of scorsiski binoculars!
Now that and $1500 would be a community reinvestment act!

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't eat the yellow snow.... the only tip anyone needs.

The original international turd
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
15% of the cost of the hunt and if it was worth it,you can adjust up or down for better or worse service.
It's a guide line not a rule.
BBJ

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The few Ive been on I tipped 2 about 15%. The other was less, but I wanted to tip him a good anus kicking. Figured I wouldnt since I was 1600 miles from home. I banked it for another day if it ever comes.

Some of those guys work hard and those are the ones I look forward to tipping. Doesnt have anything to do with a kill in my opinion.

Joseph

Joseph
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think 15% is a good place to start and then increase or decrease as needed depending on the service provided. If the guide worked his butt off for me, didn't complain, was nice and pleasant throughout, I don't mind giving him a good tip, above that 15%. If he was an ass, didn't work hard, complained, always had an excuse, or if he didn't consult me in any decision making and treated me like a kid without a brain, then the tip amount goes down. I've tipped people very well and then others have virtually been given virtually nothing. I also try to keep in mind that these guys (and gals) aren't making a mint off me to begin with and are usually doing it because they like to, not to get rich. So when it's tipping time, I take that into account as well. I also agree that you should tip everyone that contributed to your trip, including the cook, wrangler, and anyone else. Obviously, these people have less of an affect on your hunt than the guide (usually), so the tip amount is adjusted accordingly. Also, tip what you can afford. Guides understand if you're a working man that has saved his money for the trip or if you're an executive that does a guided trip or two every year. Don't think you have to keep up with the executive in terms of tip amount to have an appreciative guide when you hand out the tip.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm like a lot of those commenting. I tip based on effort, not results. I especially tip well when there is good effort, a guide that listens well and one where I'm likely to come back. In that case I may go well beyond 15% (and have).

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If it is a one man show, guide/outfitter/owner all in one, do you still go with the general 15% guideline?

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
V
V
and so what about a spike camp, i'll be doing this for the first time...they bring you in, drop you off, maybe check on you a time or two,,,and come in and (hopefully) help you haul meat off the mountain........And, I would imagine that you wait and give your tip at the end of the hunt? Thinking the same guy(s) that brought you in will bring you out? Thanks.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Robster, if it is a one man show, the guy is guiding you just like if he hired someone else to do it. Tip him for his guiding effort, not for owning the outfit.

Vaelker, a spike camp is different since the guide/outfitter really isn't helping you out to much other than transporting you into camp and supplying the equipment. Sometimes setting up the camp is also part of the agreement, other times not. However, everything is usually spelled out on what they will do and won't do in the contract and that is what you're paying for. Therefore, I would not usually tip a guy if he is only doing what he said he would do for the price agreed upon. Now, if he agrees to stick around and help with camp, show you where to hunt, takes his stock in to pack something out for you, etc. That is where a tip would come in. Some guys will tell you up front what they will charge you to pack out an animal. If that is the case, you know what the price is and unless they do something more to warrant the tip, then I wouldn't. Basically, the question is: is he doing more than he said he would and helping you out where he really doesn't have to? I wouldn't go in with a hard, fast rule on how much to tip in this situation, but I would have some cash stashed somewhere just in case a tip is warranted.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks Vaelker

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 9 invisible), 907 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,917
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.