Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
how much does remington pay you to push their products swampy?

accidents happen all the time, i mean look at how you came into life wink

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by slg888
Originally Posted by Rustin
I don't know if I want to buy a CVA now, and they had the look of what I liked!
Take another look Rustin... Balances beautiful,the break action opens/closes smoothly & quietly, 8-40 base holes vs 6-48 on T/C, and the trigger breaks clean unlike the other brands. This Apex is built solid! Hell, even threw a 4x VX-R illuminated Leupold on top.

[Linked Image]

That is a nice setup I must say. I really like the look of the and functionality of them verses the T/C. I really like the break meaning there is some really nice solid metal behind the breach. I am very partial to the thumbhole stocks however. Now I know the ACCURA V2 PR3116SM/.50 at $550. Then I put on a scope and I can only see the $$$ signs rise.....LOL

I do like the options of having exchangable barrels however of the Apex CR4012S/.50.

Now on the T/C Encore in the Magnum section they show gun # 3967 which is a great looking Stainless Steal/Harwoods/Thumbhole in 50 Cal and can take 150 grains.
http://eastcoastgunsales.com/admin/_ImageUploads/Product%20Images/30302.jpg I just saw it for $590 shipped.

But I'm sittin back looking at great looking guns and they keep going up in price.....LOL......Which is ok, I'm just frugal. At the same time I have gone the cheap routes before and once or twice I made out, but the rest of the time I lost.

Which brings up a new question, can I buy ML's on line or has the Fed's put a stop to it, and where is a good place?

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
4473 form for the Apex or Encore. Optima/Omega not needed. Best price I've found on ML's is Natchez shooting supply. There web-site is difficult to get around, but they carry/stock all brands. Just call them.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
try www.rrarms.com for Optima/ Accura v2 or www.budsgunshop.com for the Apex.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rustin,

I bought three CVA rifles a couple years ago. Two inlines, I don't remember the model names, and a youth sidelock. They were for my two kids and myself. During the first shooting session there were ignition problems with all three rifles. I could get them to shoot, but they were by no means what I would call reliable to hunt with. After a frustrating afternoon with anxious, fidgity kids who wanted to shoot, all three rifles were returned to Bass Pro Shop. My Omega has NEVER failed to fire, even after a long rainy days in the woods. Bottom line, in my opinion, is that you get what you pay for.

Before you CVA fans, and I know there are many, start in telling me what I did wrong, I've been shooting muzzleloaders for 40+ years. I know how they work. In my opinion, based on my personal experience with them, CVA is an inferior product. I've read all the debates about barrels blowing out and improperly heat treated steels. Where there's a lot of smoke, there's probably a fire somewhere close by. Why take a chance with your eyesight, or possibly your life?

Invest in a good quality, AMERICAN MADE rifle, and you won't be disappointed. Keep an eye on Gunbroker or the other auction sites. There are some excellent buys on used T/C and Knight rifles out there, and they can be sent by mail directly to your door. Good luck!

"Feel the heart of the hunter. Feel the thrill that will cleanse the soul."
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by daddywpb
-I bought three CVA rifles a couple years ago. I don't remember the model names.
-Bottom line is that you get what you pay for.
confused

That's why I paid little more and went Apex.

Last edited by slg888; 10/07/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's just as dangerous.....

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by daddywpb
Rustin,

I bought three CVA rifles a couple years ago. Two inlines, I don't remember the model names, and a youth sidelock. They were for my two kids and myself. During the first shooting session there were ignition problems with all three rifles. I could get them to shoot, but they were by no means what I would call reliable to hunt with. After a frustrating afternoon with anxious, fidgity kids who wanted to shoot, all three rifles were returned to Bass Pro Shop. My Omega has NEVER failed to fire, even after a long rainy days in the woods. Bottom line, in my opinion, is that you get what you pay for.

Before you CVA fans, and I know there are many, start in telling me what I did wrong, I've been shooting muzzleloaders for 40+ years. I know how they work. In my opinion, based on my personal experience with them, CVA is an inferior product. I've read all the debates about barrels blowing out and improperly heat treated steels. Where there's a lot of smoke, there's probably a fire somewhere close by. Why take a chance with your eyesight, or possibly your life?

Invest in a good quality, AMERICAN MADE rifle, and you won't be disappointed. Keep an eye on Gunbroker or the other auction sites. There are some excellent buys on used T/C and Knight rifles out there, and they can be sent by mail directly to your door. Good luck!

Sure would like to hear more details on what models they were, and primers, powder, bullets you used.

I'm not sure about CVA barrel strength anymore, but i've never heard of ignition problems except with BH 209, and that's easily fixed. The Omega is a good gun, but i'm curious why the CVA's didn't fire.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think the point of buying a used muzzleloader is a valid one. You can get great deals on pre owned muzzleloaders and they can come right to your house.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Well I always like to buy American first and foremost even if I have to pay more, steel is better IMHO and anything I can do to put another American to work then that's what I try to do. I do like the look and functionality of the T/C for my taste, but I like the removable breach and gun design of CVA. Why can't a manufacture just make what I want and place it in my lap?......:D

I'm going to go looking in the pawn shops now the ML hunts are basically over and see if they actually have one that used I can at least pick up and see how it feels, not to mention look at the craftsmanship. I used to do quite a bit of metal working when I was a kid so maybe that might help my observations. I called Cabela's down here just for a chance and they have just a few just like everyone else, they are going to wait for any new models before they buy for retail. I don't blame them, you don't want to load up on last years models then dump them because everyone what�s the new model.

Regardless, here in Utah we have to put in for the hunt in January (which my location is a guarantee) and I will do that. Even if I don't find what I'm looking for I'll use one of my dads traditional cap ignition and ball. Here I put all that money and time into my 7mm and now it's just going to stay in the safe. That�s ok though.

Problem is I have 1 boy who is ready to hunt this coming year as well and I will have to get him one too. I only want a decent cheap model that will work and will probably buy it used. He is only 100 lbs and about 5' 2" so what would you guys suggest for him. Remember he's most likely going to trash it.....LOL

So now we are up to 2 guns, ug.......LOL......Maybe the topic of a different thread on that one when we get closer.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
im picky about my guns as well. I love to keep the cherry and when i start seeing scratches or dust build up, it drives me crazy.

The Optima line from CVA though is by far my most favorite. Their Scout rifle looks a lot like the Optima so i got one in .243 compact. That little .243 is one awesome gun.

Scout
[Linked Image]

Optima
[Linked Image]

This one now strictly is my Colorado gun and set up with open sights due to our rules.
[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
LOL

Ya I'm picky, but I like to look at all the options. Where I am not from the ML community these guns are unknown territory. So far my expectations have changed, price range has changed, and my eyes have sure been opened to a whole new refined sport. I'm really stoked to get out next year and hunker down with a set of horns and attractants.

The thing is, if I'm going to make a purchase I want to look at all the options, and the opinions of those that use and really know them. I'm the guy that sits in a rifle shop for 3 days before I make a purchase just to make SURE I get the right one. I think it's an OCD episode!.....LOL....Always been that way, and it's gotten worse over the years as I gotten screwed. So call it wisdom, or call it insanity, I call it OCD......LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Buy him a T/C Impact. It's safe.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Buy him a CVA, T/C or Traditions It's safe.
+1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Buy a Hawken. You can shoot cannon balls out of it and it won't blow. laugh

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The new T/C Bone Collector rifles have the Speedbreech feature. The breechplug can easily be removed without tools.

"Feel the heart of the hunter. Feel the thrill that will cleanse the soul."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Old_Hunter
Buy a Hawken. You can shoot cannon balls out of it and it won't blow. laugh

Or a Renegade.

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
renegades are cheek slappers

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bigblock455
renegades are cheek slappers

TC's are cheek slappers.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
true, even my old tc new englander was a cheek slapper. No where near as bad as the tc hawken i had. holy mother that thing was horrible for smacking you right under the eye socket. I think i fired a total of 2 or 3 shots before i cleaned it and resold it LOL.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,943
Posts18,480,130
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.