Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Yesterday, Kevin at Seekoutside posted info on the new Ed T's Backcountry Shelter, which is a collaboration between myself and Kevin.
http://seekoutside.com/backcountry-shelter-2/

Here is a little background on it.

I have been always searching for the ideal solo/2 man shelter. My quest started with a Kifaru Para Tipi and while I used it a lot and liked it, it always felt cramped. Same story with the Super Tarp and annex, although I liked the stove jack placement better than on the Para Tipi.

I then went through the GoLite ShangriLa series, 2, 3, 4 and while they worked well they were missing some features.

The Kifaru Sawtooth came next and I thought I really had it now. Stand-up room. Plenty of space etc. The only drawback was it still was a bit heavy, especially for a solo shelter.

Late spring/early summer, I picked up a discontinued Integral Designs George Tarp from the classifieds. The pitch took some experimenting of get just right, but had good height, slightly more than the Sawtooth and plenty of room. I sewed a stove jack in and was quite happy with it. It still wasn't there however.

Fast forward to the collabration with Kevin. The shelter was given a remake, with such changes as catanery cuts to the fabric to tighten things up, lengthing the rear, adding a sod skirt, guy line ties re-located, stove jack added and an optional zip-in door panel that lowers the height but increases the space to a 4 man sizeed shelter.

The end result is a 7' high, 2+ man wood heated shelter that is minimalist in weight yet full featured in backcountry comfort. My final prototype cane in at 2lb 10oz with Carbon fiber pole and stakes. Couple this shelter with my 12" titanium stove and you have 2 man, stand-up shelter with wood stove for about 4lb 12oz.

Ed T

GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looks fantastic. Will definitely be giving it a try along with a stove.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Very nice!!! It would be cool to see more pics but with people in it for size reference smile

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
More photos will be up shortly.

Ed T

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Ed_T

Fast forward to the collabration with Kevin. The shelter was given a remake, with such changes as catanery cuts to the fabric to tighten things up, lengthing the rear, adding a sod skirt, guy line ties re-located, stove jack added and an optional zip-in door panel that lowers the height but increases the space to a 4 man sizeed shelter.

I 2nd these "remakes" just from looking at the pics and what you have written here about the George tarp changes. Well done!

I have used an Integral Designs "George Tarp" for about 12 years and it is a very nice shelter, but.... it could be improved upon with regards to pitch tautness and in the tie out placements. And adding the catenary cuts and changing the tie outs would help the George tarp a great deal in that regard. Even the rear lengthening of the structure may help, although that is not a problem for me with the "George Tarp". The sod cloth is a nice addition for a wood burning shelter.

And after using a SeekOutside "Breakaway" tarp for my last few outings this last month- I know the quality will be there in this new Backcountry shelter. If it was not- Ed T would not put his "signature" so to speak on it.

** Ed, I have a ? for you: What was the square footage difference in the new Backcountry shelter when compared to the ID George tarp? Thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Really liking the design and the specs, I want one! I NEED one to complete my Ed T backcountry collection.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The rear lengthening was done to remove the flat panel for better wind and snow shedding. The shelter can still pitch the same as the original, or you can pull out the rear, and get some curve and angle to it, for better wind and snow shedding.

I don't have the exact square footage difference, but the front doors come out a little longer , and the option to bring the rear out a bit, probably adds about 6 - 8 sq feet overall.

llama2, I'm glad the breakaway is working out for you.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Love it... it just needs to be taller smile
If it had at least an 8' peak height I'd seriously consider it.
My criteria is that at 6'4" (and maybe + a hair more for boots) I should be able to walk around the pole without head or shoulders touching the sides. It my mockups 8' gets me there.

--thumper338

Last edited by thumper338; 10/04/11.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Can a couple sleep side by side without any poles or anything in the way?

Can it still be pitched as a flat tarp/cooking tarp for groups?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ordered one last night. I loved the Sawtooth and really liked my Sl-4 and I think this will be a good cross of the two. Even if it just had the square footage of the Sl-4 without the pole in the middle I think it would be a winner.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"d like to see a stove in it when you get time.

And what about interior "rain" fly as we camp in wet areas at times... IE liner. mixed with a bug screen in front.

If we could get that added it would be ideal IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Well, we like to hear your comments as we decide what accessories to build along with it.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You know what i want, a nest/liner with floor.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd take a nest/liner in lieu of the kifaru type liner. But frankly I'd much prefer liner only with no floor.

FWIW it would be easy enough to sew at home if need be if one only had the time...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Big W , thats what you are getting with your 8 person : )

Just curious, what is the order of importance
- Ground protection
- Condensation Protection
- Bug protection

E
Ed_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Kevin_T

Just curious, what is the order of importance
- Ground protection
- Condensation Protection
- Bug protection

I'd say

#1 Condensation Protection
Not a huge issue in Western MT but in some areas it can be

#2 Bug protection
The sod skirt helps a lot
The optional zip in door panel does the rest for me

#3 Ground protection, a distant 3rd I'd add.

Ed T

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got the automated e-mail from seekoutside yesterday and it looks like a winner.
Never saw the price though.

For add ons, I would be looking at a condensation liner.
I gets a little wet here in Wa.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For me, and I know thats not who you are directing too, but I'm with EdT

Condensation for our issues, I can deal with it some, but we often camp where its got moisture, and not really cool or cold enough to run a stove to burn it out....etc...

Condensation #1. The sod flap will seal the sides from bugs and thats a huge plus that my para tipi and 6 man don't have but IF I ever got that far I was going to add myself...

Add a zip in door panel for bugs, that would be the total answer for warm weather and bug proof then for us, would give ventilation and keep the bugs out.

Jeff

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
oh yeah ground protection, we carry an emergency tarp just in case, and or tyvek sheets to protect the air pads and don't need more than that.

Just got done in 2 tents in AK with a friend a few weeks back... had to shake lots of dirt out when done... that sucks... and if it was wet.... would have been worse, floorless is really nice.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,616 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,946
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.