Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I posted this on another forum, but was interested in seeing if anyone here has experience with lapping scope rings. I am looking at ordering a 30mm and 1" lapping kit and have narrowed my choice to Wheeler. Any reason to go with another brand, or is the Wheeler kit GTG?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used the Wheeler kit installing dual-dovetail rings, but just to check alignment not remove significant metal. I line up the rings with pointers, then lightly lap, just three strokes, and check the alignment. If the rings are not aligned the contact pattern will be asymetric. Adjust the rings and check again. Repeat until you have an even contact pattern. For this purpose it worked well enough.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use primarily Warne Maxima and Talley rings on everything from 223 to 375 H&H. I have never lapped a pair of either, and I have never had a single issue with slipping, moving, ring marks, etc. Not one. When installed correctly, neither Talley or Warne need lapping IME.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jason -I have used the Wheeler an it works fine. If not certain abuot lapping then Burris Signature rings wit hthe nylon inserts make it unnecessary.

IF you want to lap, go for it. Afterwards I smear on little bit of clear silicon. It helps, like lapping, with spreading the contact area, aids against slip and prevents rings from scratching the scope. It was a tip I picked up here ages ago.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It doesn't matter what type of rings you use(besides Burris Signature), they can all benefit from lapping. Even some of the best rings on Pic bases don't line up perfectly at times, though it's not near as often as other types.

I line up std or dd rings with calipers and find that the lapping many times shows a slight diff in height even when they are straight. Been using Possum Hollow lately and have no complaints.

Lapping is very easy and once you give it a try, you'll prob stick with it from then on.

Have a good one,

loder

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lapp them all. Some need more than others, such a small amount of time required.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Never have never will. Take your time with quality rings and bases and there is no need to. Been dooing it for 35yrs and never an issue or scratch/slippage or anything.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by purplefox66
Never have never will. Take your time with quality rings and bases and there is no need to. Been dooing it for 35yrs and never an issue or scratch/slippage or anything.

Exactly, thats why I buy TPS rings now.
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Had a Remington with off set base holes. Lapping helped.JMO

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by purplefox66

Ever hear about tolerence stacking?...Lapping helps period!

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I bedded a Near rail to my reciever then used the Near Alpha mount to cradle my scope. No need to lap that. When I bedded the rail I assured the rail would be as straight and stress-free as a rail can be; Near products are second to none.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Jason280: Indeed go with the ring lapping!
I have ring lapping tools by both Kokopelli and Russ Haydons Shooters Supply.
I also have on hand a "homemade" scope lapping tool.
I am happy with all three of them.
Ring lapping cures all manner of real/potential problems and saves wear and tear (money!) on scope tubes.
I have been lapping scope rings for 20+ years now and over that time I am now apparently immune from all types of mysterious scope ailments that had befuddled me for decades up until then.
I also take the time precisely align the rings to the bore and to each other BEFORE I lap them - again I am 100% sold on the benefits of ring lapping.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Didn't lap, now I always lap. I got the Sinclair kit, don't know about the one you are looking at.
Had a Burris Signature Series scope get marred badly by a set of Ruger factory rings. Turns out the only contact was with the edges of the rings. Lapping solved the problem. I found the low price of the sinclair kit cheap insurance compared to a messed up scope.
I won't mount a scope without lapping the rings.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 29 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,373
Posts18,488,422
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.