Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#5682689 10/05/11
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
found this little guy turning on the hose to wash the lawn mower. thought it odd he was so light colored, seems like darker would be better?

[Linked Image]

he better start looking for a winter home.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How was he able to turn on the hose? wink I wish I had frogs who would wash the lawn mower. He's very cute!

(sorry, I know, no one likes a smartazz)

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Neat! An eastern gray tree frog. The wife and I had one for years that was a great pet. We first moved it into the house in a covered terrarium on an end table. We accidently left the lid off one day and he moved out onto the table but would return to the terrarium to hydrate in a bowl of water. We eventually removed the terrarium, leaving a small bowl on the table. Even made the move from W Va to Oregon with us.

Visitors usually assumed it was simply a stone on the table unless they happened to take a close look and notice him breathing. In the spring he would wander a bit ending up in one of our indoor potted plants where it's flicker like calls would give it away.

An easy keeper eating anything that moved (flies, meal worms, hoppers, earthworms, etc), and was the wife's spider exterminator. Any time she found a spider in the house, she would take the frog over and sit him nearby. At the first sign of movement from the spiders, the frog would nail them.
When we had to move to some harsh desert country and endure life in a camper for 2 years, we gave it to some friends that were into exotic pets. He did fine with them until they took a 2-week vacation and his water bowl dried up. They sadly reported finding a shriveled up little prune in the bowl when they returned.

We've always wanted a replacement, but the little devils are hard to spot, even when one hears them calling after a thunderstorm. They really blend in when clinging to tree bark. Don't have them here in Oregon, so we only get to look for them when visiting folks back east.

Brings back fond memories.

PS Put it on a darker background and the colors will shift a bit. Pretty tough for them to do yellow.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/05/11.

1Minute
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by MissTreated
How was he able to turn on the hose? wink I wish I had frogs who would wash the lawn mower. He's very cute!

you know how ants exhibit 12 times their strength, it is well know that this species far exceeds the strength of ants. and many hold well respected positions at car washes. i hope i have enlightened you on the subject.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice coloration on the frog.
1' enjoyable story until his demise.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jonboy 69
Originally Posted by MissTreated

you know how ants exhibit 12 times their strength, it is well know that this species far exceeds the strength of ants. and many hold well respected positions at car washes. i hope i have enlightened you on the subject.

Thanks! We only have wood frogs here, they're only tough 'cuz they can withstand winters here. I have never seen one of those pretty little frogs. Where is his superfrog cape? smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love frogs. Your poor little pet!!! He sounded cool.
I had an African clawed frog for awhile, but he jumped out of his bowl (I can't figure out how!) and went on walkabout. I searched for days, but only found him about a month later, on the opposite end of the house, like yours, pruned. frown

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (338rcm, 1minute, 338reddog, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,481
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.