Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by sbhva
To the OP, get the biggest blower she can handle, but make sure she can horse it around. A 12 hp Ariens is going to be a handful to turn with a locked differential.

I'm kind of thinking along those lines. The review of this model makes it sound like a good bet for her. She's no weakling, but if $200 more than their 24" model gets her power steering plus more power, bigger wheels, and 2" more cutting swath, I think it just may be the ticket.

Has anyone taken one of these for a spin?

FWIW, I kind of like the site. The guy has actually USED the models, & will speak candidly about the cons, and not just the pros.

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 10/05/11.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by sbhva
To the OP, get the biggest blower she can handle, but make sure she can horse it around. A 12 hp Ariens is going to be a handful to turn with a locked differential.

I'm kind of thinking along those lines. The review of this model makes it sound like a good bet for her. She's no weakling, but if $200 more than their 24" model gets her power steering plus more power, bigger wheels, and 2" more cutting swath, I think it just may be the ticket.

Has anyone taken one of these for a spin?

FWIW, I kind of like the site. The guy has actually USED the models, & will speak candidly about the cons, and not just the pros.

FC

Just FYI, the power steering is a bit deceptive.

On the model I used (Craftsman), each handle had a little trigger underneath. Pulling the trigger locked that wheel, causing the other wheel to spin you in the direction you want to go. At any kind of speed, you were still "hustling" the thing around, fighting it, with one locked wheel.

It was OK but took some getting used to and you really couldn't use it on much but the lowest settings or you ended up just chasing the thing around.

I ended up doing a lot of reverse-forward-reverse snow throwing.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
In my opinion, if you're going with Sears I'd get the one I linked rather than spend the $$ on the steering gimmick.

The one I linked weighs about 200# and my 125# wife handles it easily (when needed). My 80# daughter can drive it but not turn it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by Mako25
Oh! I have come to embrace the plastic discharge chutes too. They don't plug (often), will not rust, and and I've yet to see one break.

Yup, one area where plastic is an advancement over metal.

I shot a brick through a plastic chute once in sub zero temps.

A fawking BRICK!!

And the chute didn't break! It repositioned my height deflector to wide open but it didn't break a thing lol!!

Speaking of non snow items that end up being eaten by the snow chucker.... shear pins. Make sure she has a few spares on hand.

grin

I wholeheartedly agree about the shear pins/bolt and perhaps have her change one out just to be sure she has the tools and knowledge while it is warm.

I used to work at Breckenridge Ski Area many years ago and we had the Ariens and then the got the Honda tracked ones. Though a smaller swath the honda's started with absolute reliability and flun snow a far piece, but hit too much of a chunx of ice or other really hard crap and it did break the shear bolts somewhat easily...

First one I ever used was back in the early 70's in Pa., a Toro I think my brother said it was... It had plug in the wall electric start. Worked great and flung stuff far enough to break more than 1 window...

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
FC: here's your guy's review of my snowblower: link

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
FC: here's your guy's review of my snowblower: link

I definitely saw that one, and it looked quite good. I'm also glad to hear the feedback that the power steering might be a gimmick. I'll suggest that she insist they let her try both, & see if she thinks it's worth it to get the more expensive model. She also needs to remember that while she might have 12" or 18" snow events, she needs to be mindful of what the truck will leave at the end of her driveway when the plow goes past.

I figured that looking into all of this now would be better (and hopefully save some $) than having to do it during a Level 3 snow emergency. It seems there are a ton of clones (MTD= Craftsman, Cub Cadet, Yard Man, Troy Bilt, et. al.). I'm trying to figure out how to get the most steel and the most features, without overpaying for a name or a certain color of paint.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I've used the above blowers here (both at home and at work) for 4 years ( 70-80"/year)now without a hitch. I've (and my parents have) used it's prior iteration in the U.P. for a solid 10 years (200" per year).

I've been more than satisfied with the cost/benefit ratio.

one thing I should mention though: the rod that spins the turret that changes the blower direction tends to rattle loose and needs to be tightened to re-engage the turret teeth after about 10-12 hours. (I think the plastic chute is better than metal, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way around this design "flaw" ---- which would be applicable to either model you're looking at.)

Last edited by UtahLefty; 10/05/11. Reason: addition

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Two stage. I'd recommend a Toro. The second one i'd recommend is an Ariens.

80' is a big chunk of driveway in a big snow storm. I'd go with at least an 8HP in either machine. Get as wide a bucket as she can handle. Most all have electric start of some kind now, so that shouldn't be an issue.

For reference, I have a 5hp, 24" yard machines. It starts everytime I pull the cord, but it just doesn't have the power for any snow that is wet or more than 4-5" deep. With that kind of snow I can't take a full width pass and it takes a long time to do my 30x50' driveway.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
She could always go this route.

[Linked Image]

Electric start is a must here. The recoil start is a beeyotch on this one.

She may have to let it warm up a minute first too.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
"chit a brick" >laughin'<

I'd be a liar if I said I hadn't replaced those butter-soft shear pins, with grade 5, 1/4" bolts. Did bend an auger once - but hey, once? pffft

Me too. 'tis not a fun project to replace the broke off grad 5 either. I'm sure you could hear me from your place. I had to drill it out, I was laying on the ground and the bit caught and the drill whipped around and caught me in the nose. If I had a match I'd have blown the whole damn thing.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Some even come with a small, half-cab-like structure to keep blown snow off the user.. Looks funny - but they work..

They don't look as funny as Tzone out in the driveway doin' the " if snow blows down my bibs on more $*&# time I'm going to move to AZ dance".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Troy 28", 9.5 hp with electric start.
Didn't skip a beat after last Winter's beating here in Ct. Handled a couple 1 ft storms and a 2 footer. Had to work the machine with the two ft snow and take smaller bites, but it worked out fine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
oh, I forgot to mention -- the Sears deal will chew up and throw out:

soccer balls
footballs
plastic shovels
elk tibias
various hats and mittens
and dog water bowls

Add cell phones.

Wood is Good.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Evening the score so-to-say, is also a benefit of a good blower.

Had a neighbor who'd let his dog roam, and it'd crap in my yard; under my apple tree, alongside the house, next to the garage (filthy animal'd whiz on the wheels of all my vehicles, boats, cycles, etc too).

During winter the beast preferred to relieve himself in my driveway, as opposed to plundering through the snow - must have figured I was maintaing a bathroom just to keep his paws dry.

As fortune would have it the neighbors drive, and garage paralled mine, some fifty-feet distant. I'd simply wait for a snow, and send the now-frozen turds clangin' and bangin' out the chute of my blower - right back where they belonged. When conditions were just right, I could actually land the snow in the strip of yard 'tween our properties, and skid the turds onto his drive. When conditions were perfect, I could land 'em on his garage roof.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I live in Michigans snow belt, many winters we'll see 100" + of snow. Late Oct thru April.
I can't say enough about an Ariens. I've had my Ariens 10/28 for 12 years now and have never met a snowfall I couldn't handle.
Not a big driveway 18' x 60' with an 18' x 20' turn-a-round.
I've had others and seen my neighbors us others but non have lasted as long as mine.

"The older I get, the better I was"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Best snow thrower

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

P
P
Any ariens model 8-10 horsepower would serve well. I work 2 miles north of Ithaca. Snowfall totals vary depending on elevation and which side of the lake she would be living on. Pm me if you need more info.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
80 feet and 2 lanes I'd be lookin at old pickups with a plow myself . She will be all done with the snow in half an hour not so with a 24 or 30 inch snow blower.JMO

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Oh! I have come to embrace the plastic discharge chutes too. They don't plug (often), will not rust, and and I've yet to see one break.

Yup, one area where plastic is an advancement over metal.

I shot a brick through a plastic chute once in sub zero temps.

A fawking BRICK!!

And the chute didn't break! It repositioned my height deflector to wide open but it didn't break a thing lol!!

Speaking of non snow items that end up being eaten by the snow chucker.... shear pins. Make sure she has a few spares on hand.

grin

Good idea, Dave.

And I speak from experience when I say that a snow thrower can gobble up a snow covered 12 guage extension cord with amazing speed. Makes for a very impressive and entertaining spectacle that is way more fun to watch than to clean up.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
2 years ago we bought a Ariens Compact 24 blower(said made in the USA on the side). Used it for year one at the condo complex where we used to live in Bozeman. It was great, wet snow, +12" of snow, no problem. My wife even ran it when I was out of town.

We moved last Summer and like a true idiot I sold it.
(Doesn't snow that much in north eastern Montana anyway....)

You guessed it, most snowfall on record last winter(+100" which is an awful lot for us).

I almost drove the loader into town just to make more room on the lawn.
The Ariens was a great snowblower and I would buy one again. The USA model was another $200 but it was a solid little machine.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,285
Posts18,486,876
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.