Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by JasonF
Ignore Swampy on this one - he has no clue on this yet continues to peddle his misinformation.

That your signature line, or just a comment?

If it's not your sig. line, can I borrow it?

It's illegal and so is most of the other shipping advise these trolls give out. They don't have a clue. Do whatever you wish but be prepared to tell the arresting officers that the guys on the 24 Hour Campfire said it was ok.

I'll bet Bricktop knows the straight scoop.........more so than you!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't believe it's legal, and I wouldn't do it no matter who says it is.

Sorry mate,your wrong. I buy scopes from the US all the time - its not illegal.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
don't mind Swampy. he doesn't know schitt, and he has to make that fact painfully obvious to everybody.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dingo
I buy scopes from the US all the time

Not legally....

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, it can be done legally. Certain countries are on the list of "Do not export firearms or related items", and back when the restrictions were put in place a few years ago, then PM Jean Chretien opted to not be excluded from the list when given the choice. Canada is on the list for that reason. In order to send a scope from the US to Canada, an export permit must be applied for and obtained from the US dept of Commerce, then an import permit must be obtained from the CDN government. Then the scope can legally be sent from the US to Canada. I'm sure the process is similar for other countries that are also on that list.

IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not legally....

Nonsense.

Although not all US businesses will bother with exporting a scope, it takes them just a few weeks to get an export permit.

John

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ah, I see Jordan Smith and I were writing the same thing -- at the same time.

John

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It's illegal and so is most of the other shipping advise these trolls give out. They don't have a clue. Do whatever you wish but be prepared to tell the arresting officers that the guys on the 24 Hour Campfire said it was ok.

If it's illegal you f*%ckwit, perhaps you should advise Leupold they broke the law by returning the 3x I sent in for a service six weeks ago.
It's now back in my hands no paperwork except the note saying what was done to the scope.

FYO, you've just joined ISS in my ignore list...enjoy!!

Last edited by johnfox; 10/02/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jpb

Not legally....

Nonsense.

Although not all US businesses will bother with exporting a scope, it takes them just a few weeks to get an export permit.

John

You dont even need a export permit - not to Australia anyway. Just put it in a box,fill out the customs declaration/dispatch note and send it. Its that easy... and perfectly legal.

Last edited by dingo; 10/03/11.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Don't bother guys, Swampy is a moron and is determined to share the fact over and over again. Remember - never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

For anyone interested in the facts, US export controls on scopes are well documented, and it is perfectly legal to export to a large number of countries. Here is an earlier post with a summary of the situation regarding shipping to Australia:

If a scope is built to military specification for use by the military it is governed by the U.S. State Department (http://pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/documents/consolidated_itar/2009/Part_121.pdf).

Riflescopes and sighting devices that are not manufactured to military specifications qualify as "commercial items" and are governed by the U.S. Department of Commerce under the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). The Commerce Country Chart located in the Export Administration Regulations, Supplement 1 to Part 738 is a comprehensive list of the countries for which an export license for riflescopes is required. The table shows Australia has no Crime Control (CC1) or Firearms Convention (FC1) controls is here: http://www.access.gpo.gov/bis/ear/pdf/738spir.pdf

The controls document referred to in the EAR(ECCN 0A987) is here: http://www.access.gpo.gov/bis/ear/pdf/ccl0.pdf
The Optical Sights section is on page 7.

In summary, riflescope exports are controlled to certain countries, but Australia has no restrictions so neither an export permit from the US nor an import permit from the Australian side is required.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've tried to buy from CL a couple of times but Doug won't send a riflescope overseas...

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BBerg
I've tried to buy from CL a couple of times but Doug won't send a riflescope overseas...

Yep, I found that out too. Different business models for different businesses.. Camerland has chosen to deal within the USA only and that is clearly working for them, but other companies DO want export business.

www.Europtic.com EUROPTIC LINK will send scopes out of the US. They just need a bit of time to get the export permit (if needed for your country).

Great prices without crippling shipping charges, and fantastic service from a real gentleman (Alex Roy).

On Europtic's webpage, just click on Customer Service, then Export Policy -- a lot of text, but do NOT let it bother you. Alex will do all the work for you!

John

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
thanks, jpb!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by jpb

Yep, I found that out too. Different business models for different businesses.. Camerland has chosen to deal within the USA only and that is clearly working for them, but other companies DO want export business.

www.Europtic.com EUROPTIC LINK will send scopes out of the US. They just need a bit of time to get the export permit (if needed for your country).

Great prices without crippling shipping charges, and fantastic service from a real gentleman (Alex Roy).

On Europtic's webpage, just click on Customer Service, then Export Policy -- a lot of text, but do NOT let it bother you. Alex will do all the work for you!

John

myself and several of my friends have had flawless service from Alexeurooptc. usually the item arrives within the week.

Loving life in the Great North West one day at a time.

sounds like its time for a new gun.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thanks, jpb!

You are very welcome.

They are a good company and I hope they make lots of money meeting the needs of shooters outside the USA!

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This thread is a perfect example of the sad mess America and the world is in. Government has no business regulating in this area, or doing anything to slow down commerce. This world isn't here for Governments to enjoy it is here for you and I to live in.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
siskiyous6,

Agreed! These are just riflescopes and not shoulder-launched missiles or something that terrorists would really want.

John

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
This thread is a perfect example of the sad mess America and the world is in. Government has no business regulating in this area, or doing anything to slow down commerce. This world isn't here for Governments to enjoy it is here for you and I to live in.

I'm in absolute and total agreement.

A couple of years ago it was possible for individuals in Australia to import barrels from US manufacturers. No problems this end, just one piece of paper authorizing customs to release the barrel to the person importing and that was that.
But then came US export licences etc etc and fees to go with all of that and so that option died a natural death.

They are restrictions for the sake of restrictions, no terrorist has been inconvenienced by them or is likely to be.
The only people they affect are ordinary people trying to enjoy their hobby and sport.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's called keeping hardware out of terrorist's hands. Since my son is in Iraq, I fully support not exporting anything that can be used by snipers.

It's illegal and should be.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's called keeping hardware out of terrorist's hands. Since my son is in Iraq, I fully support not exporting anything that can be used by snipers.

It's illegal and should be.

Well I agree with Ron Paul that we don't belong out there policing the world either. Armed citizens on any of those planes could have stopped them from flying into those buildings. I am sick of Big Brother and the Nanny State, and of Empire.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.