Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Recruited the neighbor to help me out last night, he really doesn't have a clue about rifles and such but think he's a fairly decent deer hunter.

Long story longer he's asking if I have any guns for sale, really only have a Rem 700 ADL .270 that's NIB.

Turns out he's got a boat paddle Ruger .270 that he's thinking isn't very accurate. I have three boat paddles (.22 mag, 7mm mag, .338) and while I have no use and not a whole lot of desire for one in .270

I'm thinking he might like to swap as he'd like to have a Remington. Being the nice guy I am, I'm thinking he can boot in 50-75.00 bucks and we can do a trade?

What say you?

ps: Best part of his story, he's telling me about this wonderful scope he got last year, illuminated reticle, range compensating cross hairs. Not a well known company, but one that's starting to do well.

NcStar..... crazy

Life is just one damned thing after another
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm no Ruger lover, but I'd grab that Boat paddle and never look back. Those were some sharp rifles. My BIL has one in .270 and it shoots bug holes.

JM

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by cal74
Recruited the neighbor to help me out last night, he really doesn't have a clue about rifles and such but think he's a fairly decent deer hunter.

Long story longer he's asking if I have any guns for sale, really only have a Rem 700 ADL .270 that's NIB.

Turns out he's got a boat paddle Ruger .270 that he's thinking isn't very accurate. I have three boat paddles (.22 mag, 7mm mag, .338) and while I have no use and not a whole lot of desire for one in .270

I'm thinking he might like to swap as he'd like to have a Remington. Being the nice guy I am, I'm thinking he can boot in 50-75.00 bucks and we can do a trade?

What say you?

ps: Best part of his story, he's telling me about this wonderful scope he got last year, illuminated reticle, range compensating cross hairs. Not a well known company, but one that's starting to do well.

NcStar..... crazy
....If I were you, I`m not so sure about doing that trade.

Wonderful scope? Your neighbor needs a few lessons about,,ahem ahem,,,scope quality.

However, if he`s thinking that Ruger isn`t too accurate, then you may be trading yourself into a can of worms, by possibly trading away something very good in your Remington, in return for something that you don`t need in the first place?

If I were you, I would at least shoot that NIB 270 first and thoroughly assess that rifle`s accuracy and ballistic performance before making any trades.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hi Cal,

If the Ruger's in decent condition then I'd say yes - make the swap - if only because having a rifle with a blind mag would drive me nuts when unloading it.

On a separate matter, I'm off tomorrow on the red stags for the weekend - I'll drop you a note next week to let you know how I get on.

All the best,

Tim

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i'd make the trade at the first opportunity.

IC B2

cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tim,

Was just thinking of writing you... One more week and I'm off to go on my Cow Elk Hunt. I'll let you know how it goes....Good Luck to you

Back to the rifle, if I keep the Rem than sooner or later it's getting it's barrel/stock pulled and made into something else.

If I were to trade for the Ruger, it'd probably just go in the safe next to my other boat paddles. With four of them, than I could really do some rowing if I ever needed to wink

Have some sort of attraction to those ugly Rugers and I'm guessing the accuracy issues are more his doing than the rifles. With that POS scope and the fact he was telling me how bad it kicked and I know the triggers never been worked on, which doesn't help either.

Last edited by cal74; 10/06/11.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd make the trade in a heartbeat. Don't care for blind mag wells.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,827
Posts18,496,576
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.