-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I bought 2 GPS units on ebay for less than 100 bucks for both, including shipping.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Guides dont' live forever.. what if the guide croaks with you in the darkness at 5am and you have NO clue where you are, how you got there in the dark or where or how to get back to camp.

That one answers the question enough for me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My opinion is that any GPS is better than none. You may be with a guide, but what if he breaks a keg or ankle or is seriously hurt in a fall, etc.? Could you find your way back for help and then find the guide again quickly?

My pack has maps, compass and a GPS. I rely on the maps mostly but when leaving the truck in a new area I'll usually take a GPS reading as well. Some areas you can see for miles, others you can't see more than a few yards, and even if you can see the weather can close in with snow or fog.

Keeping track of where you are rather than relying on someone else just makes sense to me.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Keeping track of where you are rather than relying on someone else just makes sense to me.

Exactly. Hardly anyone gets into trouble until they're on their own and realize their partner has the GPS/Map/Compass/Fire starter/first aid kit.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No substitute for map and compass, but I carry my GPS all the time. As noted, mark the location of the truck/camp/atv and you should always been GTG to get back.

Also very useful to mark where you shot your game, where you spotted game, certain terrain features, road forks, etc, for plotting on google earth later, and studying.

Regards,

Tom
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
GPS will be you best friend when in the Dark Timber and everything looks the same and you have no idea where you are or which way to go and when one of the White Out Storms moves in when you least expect it and you can't see 50 yards in any direction. Also Carry a compass learn how to use it and never totally rely on something that runs on batteries .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tominboise

Also very useful to mark where you shot your game, where you spotted game, certain terrain features, road forks, etc, for plotting on google earth later, and studying.

yup! And customizing and printing maps... The GPS is invaluable IMO. Time to get into the 20th century, folks.. wink

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
My opinion is that any GPS is better than none. You may be with a guide, but what if he breaks a keg or ankle or is seriously hurt in a fall, etc.? Could you find your way back for help and then find the guide again quickly?

My pack has maps, compass and a GPS. I rely on the maps mostly but when leaving the truck in a new area I'll usually take a GPS reading as well. Some areas you can see for miles, others you can't see more than a few yards, and even if you can see the weather can close in with snow or fog.

It doesn't get explained any better than this. I have an old Garmin 12 same model as Uncle Sam equipped our AF pilots with in their survival bag. When SD GFP came out many years ago with the Walk in Area ATlas every year to show a hunter where he can go and hunt it was a God send. When they put it all into downloadable software for some of the better GPS units out there it made every hunter a winner. My Garmin Vista HCX model holds the whole WIA atlas and shows you where you are at all the time. No more banging on ranch doors, spend all the time hunting knowing EXACTLY where you are.Same AA batteries as my mag lite and Nikon digital camera buy anywhere. Magnum Man

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We don't go on our own without a map and compass and I use those all the time. Map is waterproof custom quad topo, and compass stays around my neck.

But we GPS important points, and then leave GPS off to conserve batteries.

One other note, sometimes the GPS won't get a lock in heavy timber... just get out of it and try again...

IMHO GPS and SPOT and a Sat phone are 3 of the not without things in my bags at times. Won't always carry all 3, but rarely without SPOT and GPS

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Guides dont' live forever.. what if the guide croaks with you in the darkness at 5am and you have NO clue where you are, how you got there in the dark or where or how to get back to camp.

That one answers the question enough for me.
Big problem there. A whole guide is hard to pack back to camp, especially in the dark. You'd likely have to quarter him.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yah.. if he croaks.. its me for myself and go get him later....

But that was a funny post.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or stake him out by all 4s over a log so he stiffen up that way.

It would be real easy to tie him over the saw-bucks and pack him out whole.

Doctors say they would have a better chance saving someone if you did not gut them, what do they know?

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A lot of great points being made for why you should take a GPS along. I'm like the rest of you guys: I always have a map, compass, gps, and something that isn't talked about but should be mentioned is extra set of batteries for the gps and flashlight (I'm scared of what's in the dark blush). I'm like others here who have said they only use the gps for setting important way points like where the truck is or where the game animal is or was when shot. I get the bearing to where I'm heading and then the gps gets turned off and I use the compass. Re-check every once in a while. My gps is very old and I think batteries only last about 4 hours for consistent run time so it isn't on very much. Like others have said it is time to step into the 21st century. Great tool when used properly and efficeintly. That's another thing..........Make damn sure you know how to use before you get out into the field!!!!!!! Last year when elk hunting I ran across some elk and called my partner on the radio and wanted him to put the coords. in his GPS so he could be there lickity split. He could have had "his" bull if he would have known how to put the coords. in. I was a little pissed to say the least. Part of the reason for being pissed is because I had to listen to how great the new fangled GPS unit was because it had a color mapping system that showed the roads etc.etc. etc...... He never did find me so I had to enter his coords. and get him but by the time we got back to the area the elk had moved off!!! If you don't know how to use it then you better stay home as far as I'm concerned.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A huge yes on a GPS!

Maps are next to worthless in weather, if you can not see your markers, all hill-sides look the same after dark:30 .

Generally, there is a go-to heading, or a direction to travel to intercept a drainage, trail or road.

Keeping your wits, paying attention and playing it smart will save your hide.

But if anyone has to spend the night in the forest, don't show fear! Mountain-lions can smell fear.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
+1 on the Bushnell Backtrack. Great to get back to camp or back to a spot you like.

Another option is the new Android phones. My Samsung Galaxy S has a very good GPS. It aquires sat lock much faster than any of the Magellans or Garmins I've owned.

Cabellas' Recon app is cheap and works very well with my phone.

I carry a small solar charger(2.5 ounces) on top of my packs, no problem with keeping the phone charged.

All that aside, good waterproof maps and a decent compass won't set you back more than $50.00.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
There are a lot of times I never pull my GPS out of my pack, but, I would never go out in the wilderness without one. Nor would I go without a compass and map.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am going to run an HTC EVO 4G this year for my GPS.

I am not sure about how to download the area into the phone, but believe that it is possible to run the GPS with satellite view capabilities and terrain (topo) with out continued Android service? (i am sure moat of what I will hunt this year will be out of cell service)

With the 8meg camera, hi-res HD-video, GPS , flashlight, ballistics-chart, cell and roam service capabilities on the phone. It is a no-brainer to leave the GPS in the truck.

I modified a Badlands 2-way carrier by melting holes and weaving para-cord to keep the phone from tipping out. Weakest link in the Badlands system, I was not going to trust a $500 dollar phone the way they set their carrier up. It's secure now.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have never used one, don't own one,and especially if you have a guide,can't see the need.

Learning survival skills is probably more important so that one can spend a night out if required.

They are just another piece of gear to weight you down.Of course I see guys that are afraid to leave the truck unless they have GPS, satelite phone, radio and a SPOT unit. I also see the same guys fiddling with all that gadgetry spending moer time with it than hunting elk.

Yea, some idiot will say that why don't I go hunting with a spear like a caveman did I imagine ,but I have not been lost yet in 50+ years of hunting.I do carry a map and compass and pay attention to where I am at.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Needed? No, but after using one for two years now I am really starting to like using one.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Learning survival skills is probably more important so that one can spend a night out if required.

Or, learning navigational skills so you don't have to spend a night out. Which would include using a gps. Mine weighs 3 oz.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 49 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,459
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.