[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks to everyone who recommended the Slick Trick Broadheads! They fly to the exact same spot as my field points & Rage Broadheads @ 50 yards !!! Exit big hogs like your shooting through paper & leave one Hell of a wound channel & blood trail. I will try to posts some pics on Monday when I get back from the ranch. If I can remember how to...
Anyhow I ended up going with the 100gr GrizzTricks, because that's all anyone had left in stock. I'm shooting my Matthews DXT @ 60 lbs with the Carbon Express Maxima Hunters in the 250 size arrow. I've killed a lot of big boars with this same rig using the old Muzzy 3 blades up to 400 lbs. I think with the GrizzTricks & this same set up, I should be able to take down a Elk or Black Bear with no problems! Hopefully I will get a shot at my big 10 point WhiteTail tomorrow! Only saw does, yearlings, & a big 6 point cull today. Oh & the Hog I Zipped right through.
Maybe Tomorrow... Thanks y'all, for the great advise! grin

Last edited by chlinstructor; 10/01/11. Reason: Spelling

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
After a 20 year break from bowhunting, I had a chance to revisit everything. I settled on Shuttle T locks this season w/Slick Tricks as my 2nd choice. The tipping point for me was the lack of venting, which ensured to me silence in flight. From all the slick trick users, is there any noise? The shuttle t locks for me were silent and effective.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm out of the loop on archery equipment; what makes the SlickTrick heads better than others of similar design such as Muzzy?

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Because they shoot exactly like field points. The construction us bomb proof and the blade retention system is flawless. They were the first to design the short wide blades. The cut and fly like nothing else on the market.

Today there are several others with the short wide blades but none I know of have the construction integrity. Slick tricks are the Bsrnes TSX of archery

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Vented heads always make noise. But from what I've seen, razor tricks anyway, not enough to matter.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Within the range of real Archery hunting, by the time the noise ( if any) is realized it would likely be recognized as the arrow was exiting the body.

Now for those who launch and pray over 50 yards or so, then the noise might be some kind of issue for some designs. Just for grins, I set up my video camera on the block target. Then went back to 15-25-35 yards. At 15 yards the bow release and impact are nearly simultaneous, at 25 yards there are two distinct sound events, release and impact, at 35 yards I cannot hear the release, and the only sound with the slicktricks is the impact thud. I think that cockeyed or loose fletching would make way more noise then the broadheads. I've never owned or shot broadheads that could alert game with the time to jump. But then I don't shoot long ranges either, I hunt.

I suppose if the buzzing, humming or what every you would describe the sound as can actually be heard while an arrow is going 250fps or more there is nothing that deer can do to get out of the way. He might launch from the release but not from a consistent buzz at 250+fps closing the distance to impact at under 40 yards

If that were the case the sound of a buzzing mosquito would have them jumping like popcorn all summer.

I have watched a lot of client video taken in camp of antelopes ducking, jumping, or otherwise launching at the instant of release. The sound of a broadhead has never been an issue that I could see in the videos.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Cool, thanks for everyone's thoughts. I'll likely stick with Shuttle T locks, but will keep Slick tricks at the top of the list to try.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks for the test. Data derived conclusions are always appreciated.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had excellent results with the G5 Montec CS broadheads on the few critters I've shot with them.

They are shaving sharp, COC design, easy to resharpen, and shoot right in there with my field points (as good as my Slick Tricks).

I like the compact design and affordability of the Slick Tricks (I have a dozen 100gr Std Slick Tricks I'll use up eventually), but the Montec CS is currently what is in my quiver.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!"
IC B3

J
J
Take a look at redfeather archey broadhead one piece broadhead made from tool steel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JagdHunter
Take a look at redfeather archey broadhead one piece broadhead made from tool steel.

I actually have tried the VPA Terminator 100gr (Vented and Non Vented), which is double beveled version of the RFA Phoenix (VPA builds them for RFA).

Out of 6 I had 3 that wouldn't spin that well, and one of them was cracked in the rear vent.

Those single bevel look like a PITA to sharpen too.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!"
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
No experience with VPAs... They look awesome if the QC is dialed in. Montecs work well as do quite a few other BHs.

My experience is with Razortricks and Shuttle Ts mostly. Shuttle Ts flew perfect and spun perfect. Killed well. Blades were not as durable as I had hoped, but overall a great BH. Razortricks fly perfect, even when they don't spin perfect. I have the older blades, and sometimes the main blade will move back and forth slightly even when tightened all the way down, but it does not affect flight at all. I will be killing with them soon, I hope. Very confident that they will kill very efficiently as long as I do my part.

I plan on transitioning to some fixed blade COCs. I have some VPA Penetrator 150 grn 2 blades that I am itching to try out of my compound.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use 100 gr. Slick Trick Magnums, and never had a problem. I plan on giving them a try on some AK game when I get moved there in the future.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,731
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.