Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got my first lighted reticle scope today, a Burris Signature 1.5-6x40mm with their electro dot reticle. Very Very impressed with it. Just sat outside till 40minutes past sunsent (10mins after legal light) and was still able at 6x to make out the neighbor's laundry hanging on the line at about 200yds away. (no critters around to look at). I took some time walking around with it at 1.5x and the dot turned on. The small dot does an amazing job when the crosshairs are against a dark background. This scope was bought to go on my 45/70 guide gun but i'm darn tempted to put it on my 30-06 as the glass is way better than the Nikon that is currently on it.

Anybody else using a Lighted Reticle Scope they like to talk about?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have three now. The first I bought was a Weaver Classic Extreme. This is a 30mm tube, 1.5-4.5X, with a German #4 reticle, and a variable red dot at the center of the cross hairs.
This is mounted on a Colt HBAR Match Target AR, and I use it for deer and hogs.
The others are both Leupolds, again 30mm tubes. These are 1.5-5X VX III's. These both have the German #4 reticle, with the variable red dot in the center.
I have one on a Springfield M1A Loaded, the other still in the box, waiting for me to complete a project.
I think the red dot is a real bonus in low light conditions. The Weaver is bright enough to actually use it as a 'red dot' sight, even in bright day light.

Sam......

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That was another thing I didn't mention. At 1.5x with the red dot turned all the way up (11 brightness settings) it did act a a reddot style optic. Very very fast on target, a point and shoot if you will.

The 1.5-5x20 VX3 is one I'd like try on the 45/70. This 40mm scope may be just a little to big to mount on the guide gun.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I have the Burris Eurodiamond 1.5-6.40 LRS. My favorite scope hands down. I only wished it were lighter, I'd have one on every rifle. Mine is on a 30-06 too. I have a 1.5-5-20 leupold VXIII with a lighted reticle, its on my my 50cal encore barrel. It is nice but not as nice as the eurodiamond LRS. I tried the firefly from weaver(?) - didn't like the reticle. I'm interested in the newest leupold VXR - could fit a niche.

Originally Posted by 444Matt
Got my first lighted reticle scope today, a Burris Signature 1.5-6x40mm with their electro dot reticle. Very Very impressed with it. Just sat outside till 40minutes past sunsent (10mins after legal light) and was still able at 6x to make out the neighbor's laundry hanging on the line at about 200yds away. (no critters around to look at). I took some time walking around with it at 1.5x and the dot turned on. The small dot does an amazing job when the crosshairs are against a dark background. This scope was bought to go on my 45/70 guide gun but i'm darn tempted to put it on my 30-06 as the glass is way better than the Nikon that is currently on it.

Anybody else using a Lighted Reticle Scope they like to talk about?

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like them fine, though truth be told, since I do little (no) night hunting, I don't need them. I have 3 lighted Zeiss Victory Diavaris, 2.5-10x50, 4-16x50 FL, and a 6-24x56. All are great without the lights on. I have had NF, S&Bs, and Leupolds with the lighted reticles. It never hurts and all were dandy. But a good FFP scope is just as good in legal hunting hours, IMO.

I think where they are really a plus are in SFP scopes with fine reticles. Think Z6. I had one briefly that was not lit, and although the galss was as good as it gets, I lost the reticle pretty fast in fading light.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
IC B2

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm considering the Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 LRS, does anyone have any experience with it..

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a 3-9x40 Burris Signature Electro-Dot, a 3-9x40 Leupold VX-R with CDS turrets, and a Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40 with the Firefly.
I'm not really a night hunter but I love them at dawn and dusk and with dark backgrounds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
I have the Burris Eurodiamond 1.5-6.40 LRS. My favorite scope hands down.

http://randywakeman.com/Burris_Euro_Diamond_1.htm

--Randy

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
17 ounces seems heavy to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it does, then if you step on a bathroom scale you'll burst into tears.

--Randy

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Funny I probably weight less than you at 170 pounds and I cannot see any reason for putting a 1 pound 1 ounce rifle scope on a 6 pound rifle for some reason. That's my choice I guess. I will let the knuckleheads carry the 10 pound cannons with Hubble telescopes affixed to them afield as they pursue their nimrod activities thrashing thru the brush and briars intent on pursuit but one step behind their wile quarry. Me having been there and done that 30 years ago now I am just there to hunt and kill deer.

Yet I digress, its the interwebs so everyone is an expert!

Last edited by jimmyp; 10/09/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Funny I probably weight less than you at 170 pounds and I cannot see any reason for putting a 1 pound 1 ounce rifle scope on a 6 pound rifle for some reason. That's my choice I guess. I will let the knuckleheads carry the 10 pound cannons with Hubble telescopes affixed to them afield

Were you trying to say, "weigh less?" You don't. If you add a pound to a 6 lb. rifle, you should get about 7 lbs., not ten.

The heaviest part of a rifle scope is the glass. If you want multi-lens element riflescopes with illuminated reticles with strong tubes, it might just weigh in a couple of ounces more. Your rifle will just have that much less recoil. If you are that anal about ounces, leave your clip-fed magazine empty and just chamber one round.

--Randy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take a look at this. I purchased a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight .25-06. It weighs 6lb, 1oz. I am replacing the 37 oz stock with one that weighs 20 oz. That brings the weight down to 4lb 13oz. Then on this 4lb 13oz rifle I am putting a 1lb 10z scope. That brings the weight back up to 6lb and 1oz. Put some rings, ammo, and a sling and it maybe 6lb 8oz.

If nothing else I can brag about my light rifle to those on the 'net who don't really care. All the while carrying a very light rifle when I go hunting.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RandyWakeman
If you are that anal about ounces, leave your clip-fed magazine empty and just chamber one round.

Or just bring 2 less packs of Hostess Ring Dings up in the treestand.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
Take a look at this. I purchased a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight .25-06. It weighs 6lb, 1oz. I am replacing the 37 oz stock with one that weighs 20 oz. That brings the weight down to 4lb 13oz. Then on this 4lb 13oz rifle I am putting a 1lb 10z scope. That brings the weight back up to 6lb and 1oz. Put some rings, ammo, and a sling and it maybe 6lb 8oz.

If nothing else I can brag about my light rifle to those on the 'net who don't really care. All the while carrying a very light rifle when I go hunting.

Your target weight qualifies as a light weight rig but I would bet balance will be terrible. Gonna be top heavy for sure.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Back to the OP�

I have ended up with 5 or 6 lit ret scopes. IOR, Zeiss, SS, Premier(on the way).
On most I have not had a need to use that feature but it is there for low light situations. Have no need for daytime visible illumination.
The couple times I have used the illumination, I was glad I had it. All are very fine FFP reticles.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I will let the knuckleheads carry the 10 pound cannons with Hubble telescopes
I seen a hunter from NY in SK carry a 11lb rifle w/20x50 VX-3 to hunt whitetails at 100 yards & less. laugh Read hunting post over at Sniperhide, you'll find all kinds of "knucleheads" hunting deer with 15lb cannons.

It's the look Man!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RandyWakeman
Funny I probably weight less than you at 170 pounds and I cannot see any reason for putting a 1 pound 1 ounce rifle scope on a 6 pound rifle for some reason. That's my choice I guess. I will let the knuckleheads carry the 10 pound cannons with Hubble telescopes affixed to them afield

Were you trying to say, "weigh less?" You don't. If you add a pound to a 6 lb. rifle, you should get about 7 lbs., not ten.

The heaviest part of a rifle scope is the glass. If you want multi-lens element riflescopes with illuminated reticles with strong tubes, it might just weigh in a couple of ounces more. Your rifle will just have that much less recoil. If you are that anal about ounces, leave your clip-fed magazine empty and just chamber one round.

thanks for the lecture professor, let me know what the interwebs tell you about a 1-4 Night force with 24mm optics weighting 17 ounces? Must be the 24 mm objective lens. Well what ever blows wind up your skirt.

Last edited by jimmyp; 10/09/11.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Jimmy you would hate my AR then. 16 inch carbine with collapsible stock with a Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x50 Ill. But then again I use it to hunt hogs and coyotes at night so it works perfectly for me and I don't care what it weighs. I used to shoot 30-40 deer a year with a 26 inch bull barreled 22-250 with 3.5-10x50 on it and it worked just fine. Now back on subject, Matt I love my 4200 illuminated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted By: Ringman

Your target weight qualifies as a light weight rig but I would bet balance will be terrible. Gonna be top heavy for sure.

How can it be top heavy? I use the Snoboski as a handle!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (1badf350, 257 mag, 160user, 260Remguy, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 27 invisible), 2,008 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,528
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.