Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Weatherby insists, his bullets have more shocking power�more than enough to kill with one well-placed shot any of the world's big game, quite enough to kill with even one badly placed shot some of the lesser big-game animals. It is the sort of claim that leads to night-long argument, but Weatherby makes out an excellent case. He kills big game instantly with one shot. grin

Link to Weatherby theory.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just as stupid as your posts..

Amazing.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hype, nothing more.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did ya'all happen to notice the article was written in 1956?
Attitudes have changed. You don't see too many 600 nitro's anymore.
Weatherby did change what a lot of folks thought about killing, and the best way to do it.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Don makes statements based on his experience with e 22 on deer in 1953, not that [bleep] has changed since that time....

One thing I know for certain, deer are very impressed by velocity. Little slugs going fast are the ticket.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmmm, all you '06 hunters are not loading 55gr Accelerator's at 4k?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'll take a 223AI over an 06 for 200 yards and under everyday of the week and twice on Tuesday. 250AI for anything further.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Course an accelerator bullet ain't a TSX

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Scott just curious here......do u find the 75 s2's land bout the same as the amax?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought Roy Weatherby was dead?

1Minute
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Scott just curious here......do u find the 75 s2's land bout the same as the amax?

Close enough for government work.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 1minute
I thought Roy Weatherby was dead?

The OP doesn't seem to think so

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I visited the Roy Weatherby Store in Suth Gate Ca as a grade schooler then pretty much memorized PO Ackleys "Handbook for shooters and reloaders" in the 80's. I HAVE found, like Scott and others have noticed, that on deer sized game speed is deadly in a big way but one still needs to get good penetration so the TTSX's are my hunting medicine 99% of the time. I have poleaxed or DRT'ed deer with ribcage shots that would have been run off a ways and die shots with normal speed firearms such as the 30/06's I shot for most of the 70's and 80's. In all cases, though, two holes with damage to the motorworks is very important and, speed/ velocity/shockig type kills become unreliable once we get past Elk in game size and toughness. Also, African Animals do not seem to be nearly as impressed by speed etc. and so the need for two holes through the clockwork are all the more important. Roy Weatherby and PO Ackley were right on, to a point. That point being, IME, Elk and similar and with good shot placement still being critical in all cases. though I have put mule deer and whitetaails down for the count with the 257WBY with a poorly placed shot once or twice. Yes, all of us can miss by a little if we hunt long enough. The extra power and especially good bullets at mega speed CAN overcome those shots SOMEWHAT, but this is not to be relied upon. Just nice to have for those 'oh crap!' moments. My biggest mule deer ever, now on my wall above me, was poorly hit, no vitals struck, by my 257WBY when I was trying to poke a hole through the thick rosebush shrubbery he was sneaking through at dark-thrity on the last daay of the season four years ago. Put on the ground, from which he could not move, until we got over there and finished him off, with a too high and too far back 100gr TSX that was probably STILL going 3500fps when it got to him. Paralyzed on the spot. Yeah, on most American game, speed kills. Or at least puts em on the ground for a long while IME.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Slow, boring day, Don ?
Weatherby probably started the high velocity magnum craze. He was a great salesman and knew how to market a dazzling product. But it's pretty well proven that many of his claims were pretty exaggerated.
Had a hornady bullet out of his 240 Weatherby blow up on the surface once w/o effect. When I closed the range and shot the same animal in the hip, the same bullet put his lights out w/o any further shooting. Both extremes in one animal.
To his credit, he started having his ammo loaded with Nosler Partitions after a few years. And that made a big difference in their efectiveness. E

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rancho_Loco: I don't think this posting/link was at all stupid - I think it was obviously based on a real article and it was somewhat shocking to me when I read it.
Savage99 brings up (with his posting and link) a real and thankfully somewhat rare opinion that some Big Game Hunters I have come across hold.
I think this topic is worth review-debate.
Nothing stupid in that - me thinks.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Rancho_Loco: I don't think this posting/link was at all stupid - I think it was obviously based on a real article and it was somewhat shocking to me when I read it.
Savage99 brings up (with his posting and link) a real and thankfully somewhat rare opinion that some Big Game Hunters I have come across hold.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

he posted an article that appeared in print 55 years ago....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don can post some odd stuff from time to time, seems to consider eveything faster than a 300 Savage a barrel burner, for example, but THIS topic has kept the real campfires and thier surrounding rifle looneys burning for many an hour over the past 100 or so years. Worthy of conversation and input and idea sharing with the new bullets and powders now entering the equation.

1Minute..... Roy Weatherby, PO Ackley, Charles Newton and Al Davis are NOT dead! smile They live on in thier influence and the things and idea's they brought forth which changed the worlds they inhabited and impacted.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

That is still worthy of consideration, conversation and debate among experienced riflemen/big game hunters. More so today with better bullets and powders, not to mention barrels, optics and rangefinders etc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by rattler
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

That is still worthy of consideration, conversation and debate among experienced riflemen/big game hunters. More so today with better bullets and powders, not to mention barrels, optics and rangefinders etc.

take it you havent dealt with the OP before, for big game if its high velocity or a caliber smaller than 7mm or the animal is further than 300 yards than what you are doing is wrong and stupid.....he is pulling a 50 some year old article up as his defense that shooting a 257 Roy or 243 Winchester or 22-250 with proper bullets at deer is wrong and should not be done....

Last edited by rattler; 10/11/11.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have3 seen only a few of his posts. Usualy berating sme excellent ultra fast cartridge as being a barrel burner etc. etc. Since this thread seemed to be a civil discourse I thought I would jump in, being the resident veloctity whore and all. Point taken.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (257 roberts, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 51 invisible), 12,119 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,259
Posts18,544,634
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.