Hop To
T
Tim1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Gents,

I have a Remington SPS SS chambered to 7mm Rem Mag that is fitted in a B&C Medallist stock.

I had the stock bedded some years ago and it has generally shot groups comfortably within the 0.75 MOA range. However, lately it seems to have gone off song and is shooting in the 1 to 1.5 MOA range and I suspect the bedding. I have no idea exactly what bedding compound has been used but suspect it's a typical epoxy based product.

My question is can the bedding compound be removed and if so how easily before re-bedding? I seem to recall seeing somewhere that it can be removed by applying heat with a hair dryer - is that correct? All suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks and regards,

Tim

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have removed it with heat. Depending on what was used, it can get soft enough to pry it away with a screwdriver. Pretty easy since there is an aluminum block in your stock.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Might try paint/epoxy remover. I know it softens up Acra Glass.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just Dremel it out with a convenient size burr, leaves a rough surface for the new stuff to bond to. Is fast and easy if a little messy with epoxy shreds flying about. Attack it slowly if you've not much experience with a Dremel or similar. Force it too hard and the burr wants to bite in, then you loose control and the burr zips off to where you wish it hadn't.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tim1
Gents,

I had the stock bedded some years ago and it has generally shot groups comfortably within the 0.75 MOA range. However, lately it seems to have gone off song and is shooting in the 1 to 1.5 MOA range and I suspect the bedding.

Why do you suspect the bedding? Did this just suddenly occur? There are a lot of things that can lead to groups opening up.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't use any chemicals on it. Just Dremel it out, as previously suggested. The rough surfaces will give the new compound a good foundation to adhere to.

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I agree with Malm, I would check the bore for copper fouling and throat erosion before I chopped up the bedding.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DocEd
I agree with Malm, I would check the bore for copper fouling and throat erosion before I chopped up the bedding.

Also the scope and mounts.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I agree with Malm and Al. I would check scope, scope rings, scope bases, guard screws, crown and give the barrel a good scrubbing too, then go from there.

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
T
Tim1 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks for the replies Gents.

I think I'll have a crack at applying some heat to soften it up and failing that simply cut or scrape it out using a chisel. Although available, Dremmels don't get a lot of air time over here.

I've already eliminated scope mounting and scope issues and I had it crowned sometime ago although I'm planning on having it screw cut for a sound moderator soon and that will entail another re-crown as a belt and braces measure.

I don't suspect a toasted barrel or throat erosion as the rifle has had very little use and although I haven't kept a round count I would estimate it's had no more than 300 or 400 rounds through it.

The bedding is something I've never really been happy with and in any event I fancy having it re-done.

Kind regards,

Tim

IC B3

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dremel tool and vacuum cleaner for the dust.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This might seem like a weird suggestion but how long has it been seen your eyes were checked? Mine shooting went to blazes last year and nothing seemed to help. This year I found out why. Cataracks in both eyes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (1eyedmule, 44mc, 3333vl, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 11 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.