Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
There is a lot to be said for year-round hunting opportunity -- especially when it's possible, with a little research, to go out and harvest numerous trophy animals for the price of some Texas whitetail hunts. I've hunted south Texas whitetails, javelina, predators, etc., before, and I'm certainly not knocking that. Truth be told, I really hadn't given exotics a second thought before moving here, but it's almost impossible to ignore all the opportunies here when they're practically in your backyard. I'll always be focused primarily on traditional North American game, but for now, I'm having a ton of fun with some of these "Texotics." It also doesn't hurt that some are among the best-eating game animals on the planet.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
There is a lot to be said for year-round hunting opportunity -- especially when it's possible, with a little research, to go out and harvest numerous trophy animals for the price of some Texas whitetail hunts. I've hunted south Texas whitetails, javelina, predators, etc., before, and I'm certainly not knocking that. Truth be told, I really hadn't given exotics a second thought before moving here, but it's almost impossible to ignore all the opportunies here when they're practically in your backyard. I'll always be focused primarily on traditional North American game, but for now, I'm having a ton of fun with some of these "Texotics." It also doesn't hurt that some are among the best-eating game animals on the planet.

Hope you have a lot of fun on the hunt. Seems the long term "heat" has dropped the price on Exotic hunts this year. Ranchers just can't afford to keep the feed out. Pictures would be nice after the kill---

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
True. On a lot of ranches I've seen, conditions are terrible. Feed bills are untenable for some, so you're seeing a lot of herd reduction right now. Bad deal for ranchers, but a temporary good deal for hunters looking for bargains. Look around, and you'll find them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tom264
Can always shoot em in the rear shoulder. *Grins*

I was always told to shoot them behind the front shoulder, not in front of the rear shoulder. Now I hear this. What to do?

BMD's daughter popped one this last year with her 7mm-08 and a 120 TSX. Dood guiding her said he'd never seen one fall that fast or bleed that much. Completely pass through-classic over penetration. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoot 'em through the "front axle", as a poster here used to call it.
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Never have shot an oryx, but this should give you an idea of structure and plumbing:

[Linked Image]
This is essentially like an elk except with a much shorter neck. It doesn't show the diaphragm, however. The lungs will entirely fill the space inside the chest cavity from sternum to spine and back to the diaphragm. The lungs you see when you dress a kill are deflated, much smaller than in a live animal.
Assuming this drawing is correct, the heart and most of the lungs are a clear shot, well behind the leg bones. The scapula is high where it exposes most of the lungs. The short neck give the illusion that there's a lot of leg bone in there. A shot anywhere above the point of the elbow is a killer. A shot in the lower 1/3 gets the heart.

elk kill zone:
[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Looks like the major plumbing is just a bit forward and better protected compared to Whitetail. Kinda like a hog. Pretty good sized killzone on that beast! As Karnis said, BMD's daughter hammered one a couple of months ago. 7-08 spittin' 120s did a number on it.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I shot mine high shoulder, broke spine, DRT. That wasn't what I intended, but it worked. wink

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Finally got some decent rain here (torrential last night!). That's a bit of good news. The better news is that it's supposed to be clear tomorrow with a high of "only" 82.

Sounds like Scimitar hunting weather to me! I'll be after one first thing in the morning. After some debate, decided to take a 300 Wizzum out for a stroll.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
99.9% of big game- you follow the front leg as vertical and 1/4 above the belly as horizontal - putthe bullet in this spot and it's one dead animal

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Twenty to 30% of body depth above the brisket, just behind the onside leg and attempt to break the offside. Works for everything.

1Minute
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You need to be over on the hunting forum! This side...is only for IDIOTS akin to Gus!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Exactly, and gemsbok are as stout as elk, but not "bulletproof" as the game management folks would have you believe. Yes, shoot them just barely behind the front leg on the close side, aiming for the shoulder joint of the other leg, maybe a third of the way up from the bottom line, and prepare to get out your knife.

They strongly discouraged me about the low level killing power of the 30-06 with 180 gr Nosler Partitions. You would have thought their Medicine Man was going to be renting out a .416 Rigby for poor dopes like me. They really, really wanted me to be shooting something BIG, maybe with a belt [like a .338 Win Mag or a .375 H & H ?]. Actually my Power Nap after lunch was more important than the gun I was shooting.

I was refreshed and excited, found one to my liking very soon, placed my belt buckle on terra firma, put the cross-hairs just a little higher than I meant to at 200 yards, and we had a tracking job. It came to a pleasant end 30 steps from where he had been standing, with a very dead oryx piled up in some mesquite. This was on the White Sands Missile Range, and before I might have expected (but not until this very large dead ungulate was laboriously placed in the back of the pickup), the Conservation Officer was there to make sure it was tagged properly.

Who can complain about success? The heart/lung area of an elk, oryx, mule deer, etc. is a fairly large and excellent target. The hide and muscle are not indestructible (didn't find any remnant of said Partition), but exit hole on the far side told me that application of an effective bullet, causing two large wounds which start sucking air and leaking blood is plenty of firepower. No bloodshot meat, no finishing shot needed, just reliable performance within broad parameters.

I had done what might be called a high lung shot. No cardiac tissue was damaged directly and the bullet path was not close enough to the spinal cord/vertebrae to have put him down in his tracks. I a perfect world, I should have aimed at the vertical midpoint of the ribs, or 35.8% up from the bottom of the chest. Didn't matter, though.

The nap, and knowing how well that old '06 and I can shoot, was much more important on that particular day. A sample of one, as JB says, means nothing. Years of shooting and confidence in your rig means much.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I shot 7 Oryx on a cull hunt in 2009, found if the bullet (140Ttsx in 280) hit right where the leg joins the body (front one of course)and forms sort of a pocket, it was pretty much doa.. would run maybe 50 feet or so and pile up.. I called this the arm pit shot, and it works.

Who do we contact in New Mexico or Arizona if any there, about the Scimitar horn hunting..the orxy I shot were Gemsbok, in Namibia.

Last edited by ghost; 10/09/11.

Ghost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same place you shot the unicorn wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Got a nice scimitar down today... smile

New thread with a couple of photos to follow.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For the Orecks I shoot, I usually go for the motor. A frontal or Texas style get that bullet right in there. No raking shots either. whistle

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Got a nice scimitar down today... smile

New thread with a couple of photos to follow.

You shot him in the wrong place...

You must immediately relinquish all the meat to me and go try again.... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,095
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.