Print Thread
Hop To
S
ScottM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Last week I commented to a coworker on how many out of state hunting rigs I noticed. Normally seen are Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, California and the like. This year they're also from Minnesota, Iowa, Kentucky, the Dakotas, and even Maryland. An inordinate number from very far away. I jokingly commented on the probability of some magazine writing an article about southeastern Idaho. Today that same coworker produced an article saying this area is the last best chance for mule deer hunters (not word for word but something flowery. You get the idea).

Fast forward three days after opening weekend. My work takes me out and about, and I've had a chance to talk to quite a few of these nonresident hunters as well as locals about how the hunt is going. They aren't having much success even getting around due to extreme weather, limited visibility, and crowds. The deer have long ago been warned and are sitting tight, rarely being seen when you can look. And the deer numbers truly aren't there. All despite the advice of the experts from a magazine. I truly feel for these guys.

This is not a rant about nonresidents hunting here. I hunt as a nonresident more often than not, from Alaska to Texas. I understand the importance of the influx of money they bring. I simply feel bad for the guys who have invested so much money to get here, buy an expensive license, and take time off work for this so called dream hunt. Most are guys just like me who aren't rich but are able to save a little for a hunt now and then. I'm hoping they're having a good time regardless. It's certainly not everything to harvest a trophy everytime but I wish things were better for them. It's quite different from the magazine forecast.

I wonder where these experts get their information?

The church is close, but the road is icey. The tavern is far, but I will walk carefully. -Russian Proverb
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
on the CA. DFG website they have a "deer kill zone map"
that tells you how many deer were killed in what zone archery or rifle, of course the info is two seasons old but more realistic than a magazine article.

=========================================================
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outdoor writers that write "where to go" Should be banned form society. We have a local guy writes for a SW Idaho Newspaper that fits into that category. I will omit the details but he has ruined planned hunts for me and other infractions telling guys where/what in the paper. Opening day the hills were alive with guys where no one usually is, I know had read his recent column.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If I made a hunting decision based on a magazine article, I'd expect to kick my own ass.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ScottM
I wonder where these experts get their information?

They damn sure got it from somebody that doesn't know anything about Idaho's out-of-state license fees and success rates.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

S
ScottM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Well said.

The church is close, but the road is icey. The tavern is far, but I will walk carefully. -Russian Proverb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If I made a hunting decision based on a magazine article, I'd expect to kick my own ass.

There it is.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
According to some fly shop clerks this past month, an Oregonian writer (Bill Monroe) wrote of getting about 90 hits from steelhead and landing 56 fish on an Oregon Deschutes trip. In the best of years, I've had about 35 or 6 hits and landed 28 fish on nine day trips. The guides and clerks were quite upset when the river was suddenly flooded with crowds of anglers with near all coming off with reports of no fish. Really made it tough on the guides when they could not generate even a tenth of that success on subsequent days. Virtually all agree his claims were bogus, but it sure drew the crowds.

Over the years I've seen several wilderness type settings completely ruined by published reports. We used to have small secret desert lake that provided great fish and near complete isolation even on holidays. After a couple of published reports, one could troop down and find 6 or 7 planes and a fleet of motor homes with screaming children and barking dogs. Haven't gone back in near 15 years. Never ever divulge your secret spots to those folks.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/11/11.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 22250rem, 2500HD, 1badf350, 222ND, 47 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,911
Posts18,518,691
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.